Brewer Fanatic

Relief Pitchers, 12/24

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any chance we’re in on Will Harris? Per Mark Feinsand, Harris will be one of the next free agents to sign and is getting multi-year offers worth $6-7 million annually.

If the Brewers are getting leery about paying Hader that kind of money, I doubt they are going to pay an arguably lesser pitcher in Harris that much. Of course, it's hard to read the tea leaves concerning the Brewers wishes with Hader. Are they considering moving him more because he's getting expensive, or because he's got a crazy high value?

Any chance we’re in on Will Harris? Per Mark Feinsand, Harris will be one of the next free agents to sign and is getting multi-year offers worth $6-7 million annually.

If the Brewers are getting leery about paying Hader that kind of money, I doubt they are going to pay an arguably lesser pitcher in Harris that much. Of course, it's hard to read the tea leaves concerning the Brewers wishes with Hader. Are they considering moving him more because he'd getting expensive, or because he's got a crazy high value?

I don't believe it's the $.

I believe that they are thinking his value might be in it's peak right now.

Rather than risk him taking a step back, now is the time to move him for the best value.

My opinion of course, I don't claim to know anything more than anyone else here.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'm with turborickey. The money is important for the Brewers but constant restocking of young players is more important. Hader's value is very high and rightfully so. But what does he bring back? Lots. If we are a "small market" team this is how we are going to have to operate. As much as we don't like losing our stars is it a way of life with payrolls the size we have. Do I think we can be competitive year after year? Yes. But this is how you are going to do it. I personally think it is not going to happen before the season starts. Wait to see if you are in it at the trade deadline. If not he is just as valuable to other teams then as now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I would love Harris at that price. While he's 35, he's been an excellent player. Another quality arm is worth the investment.

I'm with turborickey. The money is important for the Brewers but constant restocking of young players is more important. Hader's value is very high and rightfully so. But what does he bring back? Lots. If we are a "small market" team this is how we are going to have to operate. As much as we don't like losing our stars is it a way of life with payrolls the size we have. Do I think we can be competitive year after year? Yes. But this is how you are going to do it. I personally think it is not going to happen before the season starts. Wait to see if you are in it at the trade deadline. If not he is just as valuable to other teams then as now.

Put it this way - I may be cool with dealing Hader to the Rays for a package of:

LHP Shane McLanahan

LHP Matthew Liberatorie

SS Greg Jones

OF Josh Lowe

No immediate help, but two blue-chip SP prospects, and two other players.

I'm really warming up to the idea of adding Aaron Sanchez as a reliever. He could get his FB velo back up near 95-97, like it was when it worked. He was truly an electric reliever before they forced him into a starters role that worked on the short term but then imploded. Just like Pom he was a great pitcher who fell off a cliff as a starter.

And Harris is gone at 8/3. Should put Cishek right back in that 6/2 range correct?

• 2 weeks later...

I might take a shot at Sam Dyson. Right after he got traded to the Twins he had 2 really bad outings. After that he was himself, a reliable late inning arm. He fits in the role Guerra had nicely.

I'd also think about taking a flier on Swarzak. He had success for the Brewers and just might be a guy who can have a bounce back year.

I might take a shot at Sam Dyson. Right after he got traded to the Twins he had 2 really bad outings. After that he was himself, a reliable late inning arm. He fits in the role Guerra had nicely.

I'd also think about taking a flier on Swarzak. He had success for the Brewers and just might be a guy who can have a bounce back year.

You're right about Dyson. On Aug 2&3 he went a total of 2/3 of an inning and allowed 5 runs. In the 7 games prior and the 9 games after that he allowed 3 runs total. Problem is he made in the $5M range. If that's what he's asking, it's too much. Swarzak has been beyond awful for the last two years. The only way I'd even look at him would be on a minor lg. deal. Right now imo McHugh would be the only reliever worth pursuing, and then only if he's completly healthy.

You're right about Dyson. On Aug 2&3 he went a total of 2/3 of an inning and allowed 5 runs. In the 7 games prior and the 9 games after that he allowed 3 runs total. Problem is he made in the $5M range. If that's what he's asking, it's too much. Swarzak has been beyond awful for the last two years. The only way I'd even look at him would be on a minor lg. deal. Right now imo McHugh would be the only reliever worth pursuing, and then only if he's completly healthy.

With a AAA pen of Olczak, Barker, Rasmussen, Andrews, QTC, and Perdomo... why sign free agents? I'd bet Barker, Rasmussen, QTC, and Andrews could be as good, if not better.

Because competition and depth brings about a better roster. You point to 3 guys who should be fighting to compete for the 1st seat on the shuttle. You point to 3 more who shouldn't see the majors til the end of 2020. That's why.

OPTIONS you need OPTIONS. With the AAA pen MKE has... why sign relievers for longer than a 1 year deal is a valid statement. However if you make sure you push those guy into the minors you have around 15 options to fill 4-5 spots in the pen. Then you pick the best of the group. Then you have built in depth if Suter or Peralta have to go to the rotation.

Until they are in the MLB producing they are nothing but a hope of a chance. The only one on that list that has the high end profile backed with consistent success and a quick move up the ladder is Rasmussen. We'll be waiting for him for 2-3 months at minimum. If any 1 of the other guys hit, its a boost but it shouldn't be counted on.

With a AAA pen of Olczak, Barker, Rasmussen, Andrews, QTC, and Perdomo... why sign free agents? I'd bet Barker, Rasmussen, QTC, and Andrews could be as good, if not better.

Because competition and depth brings about a better roster. You point to 3 guys who should be fighting to compete for the 1st seat on the shuttle. You point to 3 more who shouldn't see the majors til the end of 2020. That's why.

OPTIONS you need OPTIONS. With the AAA pen MKE has... why sign relievers for longer than a 1 year deal is a valid statement. However if you make sure you push those guy into the minors you have around 15 options to fill 4-5 spots in the pen. Then you pick the best of the group. Then you have built in depth if Suter or Peralta have to go to the rotation.

Until they are in the MLB producing they are nothing but a hope of a chance. The only one on that list that has the high end profile backed with consistent success and a quick move up the ladder is Rasmussen. We'll be waiting for him for 2-3 months at minimum. If any 1 of the other guys hit, its a boost but it shouldn't be counted on.

Going after Dyson for this coming year is spending money for nothing -- literally. You must've missed that Dyson's out for all of 2020:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/sam-dyson-elects-free-agency.html

Going after Dyson for this coming year is spending money for nothing -- literally. You must've missed that Dyson's out for all of 2020:

Andrews finished AA after being drafted in 2018 - later than Rasmussen. Both have made rapid rises through the system, finishing at AA in 2019, less than two full seasons after being drafted.

QTC's coming off Tommy John surgery - but in 2018 posted a combined ERA of 1.31. His Colorado Springs ERA? An even 1.50. At the AFL, didn't look like he's missed a beat. Honestly, if he hadn't hurt his elbow, I think the Crew doesn't make that Claudio trade.

Luke Barker dominated in San Antonio with a 1.20 ERA in 2019.

I'd be comfortable with Rasmussen and Andrews in the Brewers pen on opening day. QTC and Barker are folks who I think will force their way on there.

Olczak and Perdomo are the question marks.

Andrews finished AA after being drafted in 2018 - later than Rasmussen. Both have made rapid rises through the system, finishing at AA in 2019, less than two full seasons after being drafted.

QTC's coming off Tommy John surgery - but in 2018 posted a combined ERA of 1.31. His Colorado Springs ERA? An even 1.50. At the AFL, didn't look like he's missed a beat. Honestly, if he hadn't hurt his elbow, I think the Crew doesn't make that Claudio trade.

I'd be comfortable with Rasmussen and Andrews in the Brewers pen on opening day. QTC and Barker are folks who I think will force their way on there.

Let's see what Rasmussen and Andrews can do in AAA before annointing them big leaguers. Brown was lights out in AA and then got to AAA and was badly overmatched. The place to find out is in the minors, not where it can cost the big league team games. Unless they look so unbelievably excellent in late spring training, let them get AAA hitters out on a consistent basis before bringing them up to the show.

Clancy, go look at Wilkerson, TWilliams, Jacob Barnes, Burch, Jay Jackson, Delois Guerra, Petricka ETC in AAA over the past 2 years.

Lots of guys put up good numbers in AAA and can't be better than 4.0 ERA guys in the MLB. Devin Williams tore it up in AAA and AA last year. His arm talent is pretty impressive. He still struggled in the MKE pen. 26 guys reached base in 13.2 IP. He was lucky to be sub 4.

I certainly believe someone will shake out of that group and help MKE. I'm not throwing all those guys into the fire with any confidence. It's great MKE has a lot of interesting guys down there. You don't just roll them into the MLB and expect them not to miss a beat. We've seen Barnes and TWilliams prove that wrong. We saw DGuerra look insanely over matched. Most of them are not MLB level arms. Andrews is a fun story but the guy struggles to hit 90. He's a junk ball guy and it's working now but its rare that those guys workout. Love Suter all we want, its not common. I'm rooting for him but assuming he can just jump in no problems is a great way to have a terrible pen.

I was pushing Barker by mid last year. Saying it looked like something changed for him. His results were turning for the better. But counting on him and loving that he's a part of a loaded AAA pen and shuttle are totally different. If you push these guys into the pen day 1 and they fail, where do you go from there? Throw the next sacrificial lamb into the fire and hope that one doesn't get destroyed too? Really really optimistic strategy that is sprinting towards doomed.

Clancy, go look at Wilkerson, TWilliams, Jacob Barnes, Burch, Jay Jackson, Delois Guerra, Petricka ETC in AAA over the past 2 years.

Lots of guys put up good numbers in AAA and can't be better than 4.0 ERA guys in the MLB. Devin Williams tore it up in AAA and AA last year. His arm talent is pretty impressive. He still struggled in the MKE pen. 26 guys reached base in 13.2 IP. He was lucky to be sub 4.

I certainly believe someone will shake out of that group and help MKE. I'm not throwing all those guys into the fire with any confidence. It's great MKE has a lot of interesting guys down there. You don't just roll them into the MLB and expect them not to miss a beat. We've seen Barnes and TWilliams prove that wrong. We saw DGuerra look insanely over matched. Most of them are not MLB level arms. Andrews is a fun story but the guy struggles to hit 90. He's a junk ball guy and it's working now but its rare that those guys workout. Love Suter all we want, its not common. I'm rooting for him but assuming he can just jump in no problems is a great way to have a terrible pen.

I was pushing Barker by mid last year. Saying it looked like something changed for him. His results were turning for the better. But counting on him and loving that he's a part of a loaded AAA pen and shuttle are totally different. If you push these guys into the pen day 1 and they fail, where do you go from there? Throw the next sacrificial lamb into the fire and hope that one doesn't get destroyed too? Really really optimistic strategy that is sprinting towards doomed.

A team like the Brewers needs to be able to develop most of its players, especially the bullpen/supporting cast, from within. Either they are the players who step up and fill roles, or you are able to trade them to get the players you need/want. Especially if you want to have sustained success. If the Brewers can't do that, then we as fans are in for a long rebuild after this window ends, and they need to be emotionally ready to see the team blown up where Hader is not the only star leaving via trade.

At some point, Rasmussen, Andrews, QTC, Barker, Perdomo, and Olczak need to contribute to the Brewers at the major league level, whether it's in a Brewers uniform or being traded for help. The first three have shown enough to me that they should get every chance to contribute. Barker's someone I could see the Brewers using or dealing for help. Perdomo's lack of control and Olczak's regression from 2018 have me somewhat less confident in them as opposed to the other four, but they still could be good.

This re-tooling year may be the year to find out about some of these pitchers.

I did miss that

Archived