Brewer Fanatic

Mike Clevinger

ougiqbxy

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/indians-trade-rumors-mike-clevinger-dodgers-padres.html

With Mike Clevinger drawing trade interest, could the Brewers be one of the teams?

The Indians haven't had a solid bullpen in a couple years, they could end up trading Lindor and they are suspect in the outfield.

Could some combination of Hader, Arcia, and Corey Ray be in the works for MIke Clevinger?

Cleveland would get cheap major league talent to compete and MIlwaukee would get a huge upside, contollable pitcher. Also would free up the Urias, Arcia, Sogard potential logjam.

I really don't get Cleveland. With the pitching they had and Lindor still signed I don't get why they're doing this now. Keep going for a couple years then slash when all these guys are due to get paid big. If they're looking to trade Lindor and Clevinger it doesn't make sense to want a win now piece that they're about to have to pay in Hader. I mean why try to half compete. It's like when we traded Lee for Mench. For the folks stomping about our owner being cheap, take a look at this situation and see how happy you'd be tearing down a legit contender.

I'd be all in on getting Clevinger though. Unfortunately we don't have the prospects for it but I'd say pick anyone in the system.

I guess we could include Urias now at least though as replacement for Lindor if they trade him. If we had to live with Arcia/Sogard at SS for a year in exchange for Clevinger I'd do it.

I’ve always been a big Clevinger fan. If we can somehow get a deal done without including Hader, Hiura, or Urias, I would be all for it.

If I'm Cleveland, the only two names that gets me to return the call is Hiura or Yelich.

Clevinger would be my #1 target in a trade if we are really to give up someone like Hiura or Hader. Obviously Clevinger is going to be the opposite of cheap, but I think he's still tradeable and won't be once he turns into a top-5 pitcher next year.

Clevinger would be my #1 target in a trade if we are really to give up someone like Hiura or Hader. Obviously Clevinger is going to be the opposite of cheap, but I think he's still tradeable and won't be once he turns into a top-5 pitcher next year.

Clevinger is one of the few guys who'd make me open to moving Hader. I'm so tired of hearing deals where MKE sends an ACE arm for a corner infielder and/or LF. Bullpen multi inning ACE is more valuable on the spectrum than any of those positions.

Since 2017 there are 93 pitchers with at least 350 IP. Cleveinger ranks...

IP: 447 (52nd) | ERA- 65 (5th) | FIP- 76 (13th) | rWAR: 14.4 (11th) | fWAR: 10.8 (18th)

A top of the rotation arm like Clevinger will still probably throw around 200 more innings during his three years of team control than even an elite reliever like Hader will in his four. I don't think Arcia & Ray would be enough to overcome that value deficit.

Cleveland's in the same position with Clevinger that we are with Hader where they don't need to deal him so it would probably take something more like Hader, Urias, Ray & Burnes to get their attention. Maybe they throw in someone like Yu Chang or Sam Hentges to even it out & get us some more service time coming back.

With Clevinger and Lindor’s names being mentioned in trade discussions, just for giggles, what type of realistic trade would the Crew need to offer to get both?

Hader, Huira, Peralta, Arcia, and Ray?

I'm not really sure why Hader and even Peralta/Arcia would be of interest for Cleveland if they trade those two guys.

If they trade those guys, they're tearing it down. Hiura makes some sense with 6 years of control but why would they want Hader as a main piece with only 4 years of control?

If you trade Lindor and Clevenger, even with some solid pieces remaining, your new window starts in 2022 or 2023.

Yes, Hader will still be around for a year or two at the back end...but if I am Cleveland and truly trading Clevenger and Lindor, I'm trading for some guys that are 2 years away from the majors.

Note the "crazy high" in the initial link.

I really don't think Cleveland has any intention of trading Clevinger. I do think they would trade Lindor at the right price because they know he will be priced out of their market after two more seasons so they might want to move him and get max value now (Brewers looking at the same situation next off-season with Yelich). So other teams then speculate if they trade Lindor, will they go into rebuild and then be willing to trade Clevinger? So then everyone asks about Clevinger….just in case.

But how likely is it that Cleveland is initiating trade talks regarding Clevinger? Not likely.

Probably like in the "off-season plan" thread where I speculated that I would trade Yelich...if the other team were willing to give up a top 5 prospect in all of baseball + another top 50 prospect + another top 200 prospect + a lottery-pick or two of my choosing. A team would probably have to get pretty crazy to pry Clevinger away from Cleveland.

Basically what JosephC said. Cleveland has been good at doing the "sell now before you lose out" thing and just continue to restock their system, which has kept them pretty good for a long period of time given small-ish market paired with cheap ownership.

I agree, they'll dangle him in the off-case that someone blows them away. I also think if a trade really does happen, the 2 main pieces will have more than 5 years of team control left.

With Clevinger and Lindor’s names being mentioned in trade discussions, just for giggles, what type of realistic trade would the Crew need to offer to get both?

Hader, Huira, Peralta, Arcia, and Ray?

Probably not even close.

Add Small, Lutz, and Turang, and they would probably still say no.

we don't have the guns to get both, and more than likely, not even one of them.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I have Clevinger's surplus value at 81.3 million. The Baseball Trade Value site has a very slightly higher number, but for all practical purposes we both have the same number on Clevinger.

I have the top six prospects in the Brewer's system being Turang, Small, Lutz, Ray, Ashby and Feliciano. I'd have the combined prospect surplus value for those six players being 60.6 million.

I have Clevinger's surplus value at 81.3 million. The Baseball Trade Value site has a very slightly higher number, but for all practical purposes we both have the same number on Clevinger.

I have the top six prospects in the Brewer's system being Turang, Small, Lutz, Ray, Ashby and Feliciano. I'd have the combined prospect surplus value for those six players being 60.6 million.

Archived