Brewer Fanatic

Gio Gonzalez to White Sox

reillymcshane

I originally wanted him to be re-signed. Adding Lauer, Anderson, and Linblom made that unlikely.

It will be interesting to see what he gets compared to Brett Anderson. In a vacuum I probably prefer Gio to Anderson on the field, but if Gio is twice the price it would explain why Stearns went a different direction.

Well we know the White Sox are not going to be that good this year.

I'm not sure that statement is accurate at all.

It's like the people saying the Reds will be bad again, and not challenge for the Central.

I think both teams have greatly improved.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It's like the people saying the Reds will be bad again, and not challenge for the Central.

I never said the Reds will be bad again. I said the Reds are bad until they prove they aren't. The White Sox are in the same boat. "Winning" the offseason doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

I never said the Reds will be bad again. I said the Reds are bad until they prove they aren't. The White Sox are in the same boat. "Winning" the offseason doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Here we go again...

I wasn't just talking about you, others have acted like the Reds will not have a say in the division this year as well.

The Reds have gotten better, even if they don't win the Central, or even come close, they are better, and will win more games, probably against the other Central teams, which will have a bearing on the final standings.

Same with the White Sox. If they don't win the division, they sure as heck will make it tougher on the other teams...

We just have to agree to disagree.

I don't think there is a way to know what the Reds are. The lineup looks good on paper, especially if Votto rebounds. However there is no real depth at all so when injuries start to hit they could falter quickly. The rotation has a lot of upside but it is a combination of guys who struggle to stay healthy and guys who have been very inconsistent year to year. Last year most of the team played to their career best in stats but they still only managed 75 wins, to make things even more confusing their pythagorean record suggest they should have won a bunch more. They are just such a bipolar team that I don't know what at all to expect from them.

The White Sox are a bit more of a standard rebuild type team. They have a bunch of young talent and they are just trying to plug the holes around it with veteran guys to start getting used to winning as a team again. They may not make a run at the playoffs this year but it is still a big step for them to push for .500+. This is the perfect type of guy for that team imo.

I don't think there is a way to know what the Reds are. The lineup looks good on paper, especially if Votto rebounds. However there is no real depth at all so when injuries start to hit they could falter quickly. The rotation has a lot of upside but it is a combination of guys who struggle to stay healthy and guys who have been very inconsistent year to year. Last year most of the team played to their career best in stats but they still only managed 75 wins, to make things even more confusing their pythagorean record suggest they should have won a bunch more. They are just such a bipolar team that I don't know what at all to expect from them.

The White Sox are a bit more of a standard rebuild type team. They have a bunch of young talent and they are just trying to plug the holes around it with veteran guys to start getting used to winning as a team again. They may not make a run at the playoffs this year but it is still a big step for them to push for .500+. This is the perfect type of guy for that team imo.

Sorry I didn't put my statement in blue. I'll explain. The joke is the Brewers always pick up Gio. And the most logical reason they would pick him up is the White Sox would not be challenging for the playoffs, hence would be willing to trade him.

Sorry I didn't put my statement in blue. I'll explain. The joke is the Brewers always pick up Gio. And the most logical reason they would pick him up is the White Sox would not be challenging for the playoffs, hence would be willing to trade him.

That is a lot of money for a guy who can only be counted on for 4-5 innings max.

Well, to be fair to him, CC always pulled the plug after 4 - 5 innings, we really never got to see if that was all he could be counted on for.

That is a lot of money for a guy who can only be counted on for 4-5 innings max.

Well, to be fair to him, CC always pulled the plug after 4 - 5 innings, we really never got to see if that was all he could be counted on for.

Gonzalez isn’t big (6’ 205lbs), doesn’t throw real hard, and is in his mid-30s with a lot of major league innings on his arm. He’s a good pitcher but his demographics as an aging small, finesse pitcher make him risky.

Gonzalez isn’t big (6’ 205lbs), doesn’t throw real hard, and is in his mid-30s with a lot of major league innings on his arm. He’s a good pitcher but his demographics as an aging small, finesse pitcher make him risky.

Gio is an odd player. He's had an extremely good career, and was incredibly productive in Milwaukee especially. And yet, nobody really wants the guy. It's just a bit strange to me. Inferior pitchers have and a much easier time getting signed.

Yeah... and looking at that... I would not have had a problem paying Gio that sort of money, on the one hand.

On the other hand, the Brewers have Trey Supak, Zack Brown, Thomas Jankins, Cameron Roegner, Dylan File, Bowden Francis, and Alec Bettinger who were starters at the AA/AAA level. They have Max Lazar, Noah Zavolas, Ethan Small, Aaron Ashby, Scott Sunitsch, Antoine Kelly, and Ian Exposito at the lower levels.

Some of those will have parts to play this season or soon. And they could do very well, indeed.

Gio is an odd player. He's had an extremely good career, and was incredibly productive in Milwaukee especially. And yet, nobody really wants the guy. It's just a bit strange to me. Inferior pitchers have and a much easier time getting signed.

Yeah... and looking at that... I would not have had a problem paying Gio that sort of money, on the one hand.

On the other hand, the Brewers have Trey Supak, Zack Brown, Thomas Jankins, Cameron Roegner, Dylan File, Bowden Francis, and Alec Bettinger who were starters at the AA/AAA level. They have Max Lazar, Noah Zavolas, Ethan Small, Aaron Ashby, Scott Sunitsch, Antoine Kelly, and Ian Exposito at the lower levels.

Some of those will have parts to play this season or soon. And they could do very well, indeed.

Archived