Brewer Fanatic

2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread

SRB

Last year the Brewers gave Perez/Shaw/Aggy 778 PA. In those PA they amassed a 203/287/629 slash line.

Last year Sogard/Smoak combined for 248/347/779 slash line in 942 PA. For roughly 2M more, we are vastly improving those 778 PA between 1B/UTL with those 2 signings.

Grandal 246/380/848

Narvaez 278/353/813

Offensive production takes a small hit while saving roughly 15M.

Urias was 1bWAR better than Arcia in less than half of the games played.

Those are 3 offensive improvements made without breaking the bank.

3B is still up in the air, but I am optimistic that they will address the position before March.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year the Brewers gave Perez/Shaw/Aggy 778 PA. In those PA they amassed a 203/287/629 slash line.

Last year Sogard/Smoak combined for 248/347/779 slash line in 942 PA. For roughly 2M more, we are vastly improving those 778 PA between 1B/UTL with those 2 signings.

Grandal 246/380/848

Narvaez 278/353/813

Offensive production takes a small hit while saving roughly 15M.

Urias was 1bWAR better than Arcia in less than half of the games played.

Those are 3 offensive improvements made without breaking the bank.

3B is still up in the air, but I am optimistic that they will address the position before March.

They still have Christian Yelich, so that’s reason enough for remaining optimistic.

——————————

According to Adam McCalvy...

Asked about the Brewers' flurry of short-term deals, David Stearns said once it was clear the Grandal & Moustakas markets would be "robust," Milwaukee's strategy shifted to "incrementally upgrade around our roster to complement what we believe is a very strong Major League core."

Stearns, continued: "We think that the moves we’ve made over the last 10 days or so – and it has been a flurry – are making progress toward accomplishing that goal."

It seems they have accomplished the incremental upgrades in some areas, but also may have less impact hitters. Strictly using 2019 Baseball Prospectus’ DRC+ stat, below are the core/returning players, outgoing players, and incoming players. There were a total of 610 position players listed in the 2019 DRC+ rankings.

Core / Returning

Yelich — 167 DRC+ (Rank: 2nd overall behind only Mike Trout)

Hiura — 115 DRC+ (Tied for 84th)

Braun — 111 DRC+ (Tied for 104th)

Piña — 90 DRC+

Cain — 87 DRC+

Gamel — 82 DRC+

Arcia — 74 DRC+

Outgoing

Grandal — 124 DRC+ (Rank: Tied for 46th)

Moustakas — 118 DRC+ (Tied for 71st)

Thames — 112 DRC+ (Tied for 98th)

Aguilar — 97 DRC+

Grisham — 90 DRC+

Shaw — 71 DRC+

Perez — 69 DRC+

Saladino — 60 DRC+

Incoming

Narvaez — 123 DRC+ (Rank: Tied for 49th)

Smoak — 111 DRC+ (Tied for 104th)

Sogard — 110 DRC+ (Tied for 110th)

Garcia — 103 DRC+ (Tied for 153rd)

Healy — 95 DRC+

Urias — 83 DRC+

I would really like to see them find a way to add one more hitter than can be expected to finish in the top 100 most valuable hitters in terms of deserved runs created. Popularly speculated 3B target Kyle Seager finished with a 113 DRC+ last season which was tied for 92nd overall among all hitters.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

They still have Christian Yelich, so that’s reason enough for remaining optimistic.

——————————

According to Adam McCalvy...

Asked about the Brewers' flurry of short-term deals, David Stearns said once it was clear the Grandal & Moustakas markets would be "robust," Milwaukee's strategy shifted to "incrementally upgrade around our roster to complement what we believe is a very strong Major League core."

Stearns, continued: "We think that the moves we’ve made over the last 10 days or so – and it has been a flurry – are making progress toward accomplishing that goal."

It seems they have accomplished the incremental upgrades in some areas, but also may have less impact hitters. Strictly using 2019 Baseball Prospectus’ DRC+ stat, below are the core/returning players, outgoing players, and incoming players. There were a total of 610 position players listed in the 2019 DRC+ rankings.

Core / Returning

Yelich — 167 DRC+ (Rank: 2nd overall behind only Mike Trout)

Hiura — 115 DRC+ (Tied for 84th)

Braun — 111 DRC+ (Tied for 104th)

Piña — 90 DRC+

Cain — 87 DRC+

Gamel — 82 DRC+

Arcia — 74 DRC+

Outgoing

Grandal — 124 DRC+ (Rank: Tied for 46th)

Moustakas — 118 DRC+ (Tied for 71st)

Thames — 112 DRC+ (Tied for 98th)

Aguilar — 97 DRC+

Grisham — 90 DRC+

Shaw — 71 DRC+

Perez — 69 DRC+

Saladino — 60 DRC+

Incoming

Narvaez — 123 DRC+ (Rank: Tied for 49th)

Smoak — 111 DRC+ (Tied for 104th)

Sogard — 110 DRC+ (Tied for 110th)

Garcia — 103 DRC+ (Tied for 153rd)

Healy — 95 DRC+

Urias — 83 DRC+

I would really like to see them find a way to add one more hitter than can be expected to finish in the top 100 most valuable hitters in terms of deserved runs created. Popularly speculated 3B target Kyle Seager finished with a 113 DRC+ last season which was tied for 92nd overall among all hitters.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I generally like, or can at least understand, what they’ve done so far. What I don’t get, is what their plan is for 3B, since we’re not signing Donaldson or trading for Arrenado. Are there some other options out there I’m not thinking of?
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I generally like, or can at least understand, what they’ve done so far. What I don’t get, is what their plan is for 3B, since we’re not signing Donaldson or trading for Arrenado. Are there some other options out there I’m not thinking of?
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

My guess is that DS is going to run a sneak attack, and our new 3B is someone who no one else has even thought about yet...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

My guess is that DS is going to run a sneak attack, and our new 3B is someone who no one else has even thought about yet...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 3 weeks later...
Is anyone seeing what Freddy is doing in winter ball? He's incredibly impressive, not just his numbers but the stuff I'm seeing. I'm fairly confident I've seen highlights of both a changeup and a slider to go with his curve and fastball. I hope he gets shut down sooner than later to prep for 2020. The idea of him and Burnes forcing their way into the top of the rotation with Woodruff would be a serious game changer. Between the 2, I would find it weird if at least one of them didn't find another gear in 2020...but since this is the optimism thread I'm going with a playoff rotation of Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, Stroman/Ray.

Is anyone seeing what Freddy is doing in winter ball? He's incredibly impressive, not just his numbers but the stuff I'm seeing. I'm fairly confident I've seen highlights of both a changeup and a slider to go with his curve and fastball. I hope he gets shut down sooner than later to prep for 2020. The idea of him and Burnes forcing their way into the top of the rotation with Woodruff would be a serious game changer. Between the 2, I would find it weird if at least one of them didn't find another gear in 2020...but since this is the optimism thread I'm going with a playoff rotation of Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, Stroman/Ray.

Woodruff, Houser, Burnes, Peralta, Lauer

All five already on the 40-man.

Hiura will be better defensively than he was in 2019. Full offseason with no restrictions on his arm. Hiura 2020 2nd base all star!

Way to throw in that last tidbit to justify placement in the optimism thread. Simply saying he'll be better defensively in 2020 is a reasonable and likely assumption.

One note on Hiura. I was fiddling around with batted ball data on him. Last season Hiura hit roughly 30% to left, 30% to right, and 40% to CF with an over 40% hard hit rate. If anyone was ever going to maintain an off the charts BABIP, it's a guy hitting the ball like that. I almost wonder if he'd be slightly better off pulling the ball a bit more to get to his power more, at the same time he hit so many bombs to right-center...why pull the ball when you can hit with power to all fields...I'm dreaming of a Yelich-Hiura over 1000 OPS each back to back in the lineup.

since this is the optimism thread I'm going with a playoff rotation of Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, Stroman/Ray.

1. Corbin Burnes

2. Drew Rasmussen

3. Brandon Woodruff

4. Freddy Peralta

I am moving the amount of moves being made to secure depth at positions in question. The more darts thrown the better. I also think we are in a peak sherzie time with all the roster re-tooling Stearns does every year. We are going to look back on some classics a few years from now.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I am moving the amount of moves being made to secure depth at positions in question. The more darts thrown the better. I also think we are in a peak sherzie time with all the roster re-tooling Stearns does every year. We are going to look back on some classics a few years from now.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived