Brewer Fanatic

Is Stearns done on position players?

In general I don't think swapping out over half of your playoff roster is a good thing. There are a lot of proven winning players that are now gone. It's not a fantasy roster. You can tell me all you want that Brett Anderson is the equal of Zach Davies, but I remember Brett Anderson not being able to handle the bright lights that come with pitching for the Cubs and I saw with my own eyes over and over again Zach Davies staring down that Cub lineup in a hostile Wrigley Field and not flinching even with his borderline stuff. Chase Anderson has baffled the Cubs time after time too. Moustakas has a World Series ring and was key man in getting the Brewers into back to back playoffs. Call him what you want, he's a winner. Grandal has been a winner wherever he's been. Hernan Perez has been a clubhouse glue guy for most of the time he was a Brewer. Eric Thames was one guy who rose to the occasion when the game was on the line.

On paper, they've replaced a lot if not all of the production, and have filled rotation spots with guys who appear to be similar to what they've lost, but right now, it's a collection of players, not a team. Turning this group into a team is Counsell's biggest challenge yet.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In general I don't think swapping out over half of your playoff roster is a good thing. There are a lot of proven winning players that are now gone. It's not a fantasy roster. You can tell me all you want that Brett Anderson is the equal of Zach Davies, but I remember Brett Anderson not being able to handle the bright lights that come with pitching for the Cubs and I saw with my own eyes over and over again Zach Davies staring down that Cub lineup in a hostile Wrigley Field and not flinching even with his borderline stuff. Chase Anderson has baffled the Cubs time after time too. Moustakas has a World Series ring and was key man in getting the Brewers into back to back playoffs. Call him what you want, he's a winner. Grandal has been a winner wherever he's been. Hernan Perez has been a clubhouse glue guy for most of the time he was a Brewer. Eric Thames was one guy who rose to the occasion when the game was on the line.

On paper, they've replaced a lot if not all of the production, and have filled rotation spots with guys who appear to be similar to what they've lost, but right now, it's a collection of players, not a team. Turning this group into a team is Counsell's biggest challenge yet.

I don't know. This sounds more like the script of "Major League" than it does anything having to with reality. I mean, I'm pretty sure Moustakas played on more losing than winning teams in KC so how does that make him a "winner"? Was Grandal a winner in SD or did that just happen when he moved to a loaded LAD team? Garcia and Anderson have been on multiple playoff teams each, are they not winners?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I don't know. This sounds more like the script of "Major League" than it does anything having to with reality. I mean, I'm pretty sure Moustakas played on more losing than winning teams in KC so how does that make him a "winner"? Was Grandal a winner in SD or did that just happen when he moved to a loaded LAD team? Garcia and Anderson have been on multiple playoff teams each, are they not winners?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Signing guys because "he's a winner" reminds me of all the dudes sitting around the table in "Moneyball" discussing what winner to get next while Billy Beane stared at them incredulously. Signing winners is how you end up committing 4 years to guys like Jeff Suppan.

Signing guys because "he's a winner" reminds me of all the dudes sitting around the table in "Moneyball" discussing what winner to get next while Billy Beane stared at them incredulously. Signing winners is how you end up committing 4 years to guys like Jeff Suppan.

Here's my question to that.

First a clarification: Yes losing Moose who they had for 1.5 years and Grandal who they had for 1 year hurts. (Both were possible acquisitions because the market tanked and they could buy very good players at a value 1 year prove it deal. I don't consider them a part of the core of this team because of that.

Who did MKE lose from their CORE? I see a lot of moving pieces where the vast majority are average filler pieces. The massive turn over has largely been filler guys who were sent out and replaced with less expensive filler guys.

Counting Guerra Jeffress Shaw Perez Thames Anderson Gio rental Lyles and Pom overstates what is happening. Thames cost 6.5 mil extra to keep. Smoak cost 4.5 mil. Essentially the same guy, save 2 mil, move on. Swapping half of the roster would be a problem if they were all "needle movers." Most were filler, glue guys, deadline adds. The guys they brought in cheaper are also filler, glue guys and when the teams playing well there'll be another round of deadline bargain bin adds on the way.

I think DS needs to receive a TON of credit for exactly that. From every fan of this team. Yes, you can be disappointed that they didn't get big names. But he's done a wonderful job of getting above average filler as cheaply as possible. The stuff of this roster is going to turn over constantly and you can be mad that Grandal Moose are not back. Or you can be impressed MKE filled the FILLER portion of the roster so inexpensively that they were able to add them in the 1st place.

There's 2 avenues to this team. The constant value controlled core building. The yearly filling out the roster with the best values available on the market.

If we kept Guerra Perez Shaw Thames Saladino Anderson turn over would be far lower and no one would be excited about that. DS has replaced all of them for less money. That's something to be excited about. It should also excite fans that when last years trade deadline was unfolding DS sent out next to nothing and brought in 2 guys that no one was excited about and their success in MKE was able to springboard them into contracts that no one would have expected prior to the trade. This is just another wash rinse repeat.

The core looks deeper with Narvaez Urias and maybe Lauer. The new value filler has plenty of potential to out perform their contracts. If you want flashy additions, I'll apologize for DS but don't pretend Woodruff Hader Hiura and Yelich went from our contending team to FA. Most of the stuff that we are turning over is fluff and filler.

Here's my question to that.

First a clarification: Yes losing Moose who they had for 1.5 years and Grandal who they had for 1 year hurts. (Both were possible acquisitions because the market tanked and they could buy very good players at a value 1 year prove it deal. I don't consider them a part of the core of this team because of that.

Who did MKE lose from their CORE? I see a lot of moving pieces where the vast majority are average filler pieces. The massive turn over has largely been filler guys who were sent out and replaced with less expensive filler guys.

Counting Guerra Jeffress Shaw Perez Thames Anderson Gio rental Lyles and Pom overstates what is happening. Thames cost 6.5 mil extra to keep. Smoak cost 4.5 mil. Essentially the same guy, save 2 mil, move on. Swapping half of the roster would be a problem if they were all "needle movers." Most were filler, glue guys, deadline adds. The guys they brought in cheaper are also filler, glue guys and when the teams playing well there'll be another round of deadline bargain bin adds on the way.

I think DS needs to receive a TON of credit for exactly that. From every fan of this team. Yes, you can be disappointed that they didn't get big names. But he's done a wonderful job of getting above average filler as cheaply as possible. The stuff of this roster is going to turn over constantly and you can be mad that Grandal Moose are not back. Or you can be impressed MKE filled the FILLER portion of the roster so inexpensively that they were able to add them in the 1st place.

There's 2 avenues to this team. The constant value controlled core building. The yearly filling out the roster with the best values available on the market.

If we kept Guerra Perez Shaw Thames Saladino Anderson turn over would be far lower and no one would be excited about that. DS has replaced all of them for less money. That's something to be excited about. It should also excite fans that when last years trade deadline was unfolding DS sent out next to nothing and brought in 2 guys that no one was excited about and their success in MKE was able to springboard them into contracts that no one would have expected prior to the trade. This is just another wash rinse repeat.

The core looks deeper with Narvaez Urias and maybe Lauer. The new value filler has plenty of potential to out perform their contracts. If you want flashy additions, I'll apologize for DS but don't pretend Woodruff Hader Hiura and Yelich went from our contending team to FA. Most of the stuff that we are turning over is fluff and filler.

Archived