Brewer Fanatic

Is Stearns done on position players?

Now with Smoak aboard, do they go with Smoak mostly vs. righties and Braun vs. lefties at 1B, Hiura backed up by Arcia and Sogard at 2B. Either Urias or Arcia at SS, and Healy/Sogard to cover 3rd at least until July when they see if they can upgrade there?

There seems to be more than enough depth in the OF and at catcher too. Heck Braun may only start 4 games a week, twice in the OF and twice at 1B. That should keep him healthy and they have ability to keep Yelich's back from acting up too with off days on occasion and Cain fresh by using Gamel in CF once or twice a week.

Seems to me Stearns still needs to add at least one and possibly two relievers plus a couple more NRI guys. My guess is he doesn't make any big splash for a starting pitcher preferring to see what the market is in July. He's likely hoping a guy like Burns can re-establish value between the start of the season and July.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predict there's going to be at least one more surprise in store, likely at 3B. The nice thing is that they have enough players in the fold to put a competent team on the field.

He's at the point now where nearly every hole is filled, so he can value shop and strike if a big deal shows up.

I think they are set on their bench and at all starting positions besides 3B. I think 3B is still a pretty glaring hole, though. I'm not confident enough to try to say they are or aren't done making moves, but I do hope the plan going into the season is not some combination of Sogard and Healy at 3rd.

I hope they're not going in with the current roster at 3B. That's really the only spot left. I'd like to think they add another more proven or reliable bat there somehow. There seems to be some money available to do it, while also staying a good amount below last year's payroll. To either help make a profit and/or leave flex for in season moves if needed.

I count 11 players almost for sure on MLB roster as position players. So still 2 spots available. Hopefully one of them can be a better 3B (otherwise it's probably Healy's spot) and then the other for Gamel and/or a rotating spot based on who's banged up.

2 Catchers

IF: Smoak, Keston, Arcia, Urias, Sogard

OF: Braun, Yeli, Cain, Garcia

Which made me realize I think forcing 13 position players doesn't make sense. Seems there isn't enough starts to go around, especially for an AL team that doesn't need to sub. I think with the current way pitching is used it would help every team out to be able to keep one more P up. Basically, let it be a choice, something like 26 man roster, minimum of 12 on each side. Flex on the other 2. Note, sorry if I misinterpret the rule but my current understanding is it's a rule on 13 and 13.

I can't see Stearns giving Donaldson 4 yrs for 100 million which is what he will probably cost and I don't blame him. Other than that I just don't see what else we can do at the position that would get us excited. I can accept Seager if Seattle kicks in a lot of money and we don't give up anything useful but I wouldn't be excited by it.

Now with Smoak aboard, do they go with Smoak mostly vs. righties and Braun vs. lefties at 1B, Hiura backed up by Arcia and Sogard at 2B. Either Urias or Arcia at SS, and Healy/Sogard to cover 3rd at least until July when they see if they can upgrade there?

There seems to be more than enough depth in the OF and at catcher too. Heck Braun may only start 4 games a week, twice in the OF and twice at 1B. That should keep him healthy and they have ability to keep Yelich's back from acting up too with off days on occasion and Cain fresh by using Gamel in CF once or twice a week.

Seems to me Stearns still needs to add at least one and possibly two relievers plus a couple more NRI guys. My guess is he doesn't make any big splash for a starting pitcher preferring to see what the market is in July. He's likely hoping a guy like Burns can re-establish value between the start of the season and July.

Smoak made $8M for a very, very mediocre year. I hope Stearns didn't go crazy like the Sogard contract and get Smoak for even 1/2 that amount. I can't see Healy and Sogard ever being the full time options at 3B. Spending money on Healy, Sogard, and Smoak just takes the money away from what he needs the most. Starting pitching and a thrdbaseman. It's still early, but the more Stearns piddles away money the less he has to actually sign a difference maker for 2020.

Smoak made $8M for a very, very mediocre year. I hope Stearns didn't go crazy like the Sogard contract and get Smoak for even 1/2 that amount. I can't see Healy and Sogard ever being the full time options at 3B. Spending money on Healy, Sogard, and Smoak just takes the money away from what he needs the most. Starting pitching and a thrdbaseman. It's still early, but the more Stearns piddles away money the less he has to actually sign a difference maker for 2020.

The only "difference maker" available is Donaldson. And we're not give 4/100ish and that's just not going to happen. These signings should have no impact on the remaining guys they realistically could acquire at 3B.

Right now, it appears as though we have 13 pitchers and 13 offensive players on the 26 man roster.

If we grab a 3B somehow, who gets the ax from the 26 man roster?

My guess is that Healy goes to AAA, where he should be anyway.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/brewers

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Right now, it appears as though we have 13 pitchers and 13 offensive players on the 26 man roster.

Healy goes to AAA, or Arcia is dealt. Maybe both.

yup, it is appearing more and more like Arcia is a goner.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I won't be surprised in the least if the Brewers make a play on a 3B that no one expects. Something like Matt Chapman, Carlos Correa or Corey Seager (and yes I know the last two are SS). Not sure it makes sense for the Brewers to trade what is necessary for those guys but I am anticipating something surprising like that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Healy goes to AAA, or Arcia is dealt. Maybe both.

yup, it is appearing more and more like Arcia is a goner.

Stearns said today he expects Urias to play SS (went on to say he could play 3B and probably 2B as well) so you might be right.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hmmm... this could be an interesting deal with the Mariners:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-19159/

Brewers get:

3B Seager

LHP Sheffield

Mariners get:

SS Arcia

26-man breaks down like this:

ss: Urias

2b: Hiura

lf: Yelich

rf: Garcia

c: Narvaez

1b: Smoak

3b: Seager

cf: Cain

pitcher

bench: Pina, Braun (1B/3B/LF/RF), Sogard (SS/2B), Healy (3B/1B), Gamel (OF)

rotation: Woodruff, Lindholm, B. Anderson, Houser, Lauer

bullpen: Knebel, Hader, Suter, Peralta, Sheffield, Claudio, Yardley, Faria

Say the Nats or a similar team strike out on Donaldson.

Why wouldn't they just say, "no, Mariners, we'll just take Seager. If the Brewers want Justus Sheffield thrown in, we don't need him if that's what wins us the trade from you."

The way the market is going I don't think the Mariners are going to have to toss in a prospect to get a team to take most of Seager's money.

One note on Seager, when traded the option becomes a player option. He'll be owed 3/52. That's a lot of money for a very mediocre player. I frankly don't really want the Brewers involved in that. I don't think Donaldson is realistic but maybe Cabrera for 3b? It's a bit shocking how thin the FA market becomes beyond Cabrera. Guys like Frazier, Franco, Castro, Gyorko...a whole bunch of yuck that probably should be getting minor league deals.

One note on Seager, when traded the option becomes a player option. He'll be owed 3/52. That's a lot of money for a very mediocre player. I frankly don't really want the Brewers involved in that. I don't think Donaldson is realistic but maybe Cabrera for 3b? It's a bit shocking how thin the FA market becomes beyond Cabrera. Guys like Frazier, Franco, Castro, Gyorko...a whole bunch of yuck that probably should be getting minor league deals.

I feel like Asdrubal is ready to fall off a click but there is zero evidence or logic behind that other than age and how he looks running around out there. But he does keep putting up productive seasons.

I know that Seager is coming off an injury but for some reason I trust that more. Of course it's a lot more cash to him than to Asdrubal so maybe Seattle does eat some.

No way is the main 3B currently on the roster. I would like to see a middle of the order bat and hopes for Donaldson, Bryant, or Arenado are slim. I do think it will come from a trade though, and here’s who I’d target: Corey Seager/Justin turner (especially if they get Lindor), Jeff McNeil, Yuli Gurriel, Andujar/urshela, Brian Anderson, Hunter dozier (Royals are signing Michael Franco). There are plenty of options with a little creativity

LHP Urias Yelich Hiura Braun Garcia Cain XXX Pina

RHP Cain Yelich Hiura Narvaez Garcia Smoak XXX Urias

Don't really see a need for the 3b to be a middle of the order bat.

The scary part is that I could see Healy in the 7 hole vs LHP and Sogard leading off vs RHP with Cain in the 7 spot.

I don't want to see that. Wilmer Flores getting the exact same deal as Sogard would make me feel a lot better.

Correction: Yes we have to add a 3b. I can't see Healy's glove playing at 3b.

LHP Urias Yelich Hiura Braun Garcia Cain XXX Pina

RHP Cain Yelich Hiura Narvaez Garcia Smoak XXX Urias

Don't really see a need for the 3b to be a middle of the order bat.

The scary part is that I could see Healy in the 7 hole vs LHP and Sogard leading off vs RHP with Cain in the 7 spot.

I don't want to see that. Wilmer Flores getting the exact same deal as Sogard would make me feel a lot better.

Correction: Yes we have to add a 3b. I can't see Healy's glove playing at 3b.

Archived