Brewer Fanatic

Justin Smoak to the Brewers

Bombers
  • Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was wondering why Sternes is modeling the team after one that has the longest active playoff drought.

I think the answer might be in a similar thought process to what was posted in another thread earlier:

Tyler Glasnow was in studio with MLB Network this afternoon and (politely) said some candid things about the difference between Pittsburgh and going to the Rays. He said they changed his pitching approach because they were able to use advanced data to tell him, “this what your stuff does, and this is why you are good. Let’s do more of this.” He said it helped him shift his mentality from previous (in Pittsburgh) where he was taught to go downhill, keep the ball down, and touch corners. He said the Rays were able to show him that he would be better off erring on the side of being aggressive versus trying to touch corners. He said once that resonated he was able to just focus on working up and down through the middle of the plate which created an attack first mentality. He finished by saying the Rays staff and coaches were really able to show him how good his stuff actually was.

In short, I think it's possible the Brewers are targeting players that played for franchises that they might feel aren't run well enough to get the most out of their talent, and the Brewers think their processes might help harness that talent. It's not a bad strategy, if so.

So I was wondering why Sternes is modeling the team after one that has the longest active playoff drought.

I think the answer might be in a similar thought process to what was posted in another thread earlier:

Tyler Glasnow was in studio with MLB Network this afternoon and (politely) said some candid things about the difference between Pittsburgh and going to the Rays. He said they changed his pitching approach because they were able to use advanced data to tell him, “this what your stuff does, and this is why you are good. Let’s do more of this.” He said it helped him shift his mentality from previous (in Pittsburgh) where he was taught to go downhill, keep the ball down, and touch corners. He said the Rays were able to show him that he would be better off erring on the side of being aggressive versus trying to touch corners. He said once that resonated he was able to just focus on working up and down through the middle of the plate which created an attack first mentality. He finished by saying the Rays staff and coaches were really able to show him how good his stuff actually was.

In short, I think it's possible the Brewers are targeting players that played for franchises that they might feel aren't run well enough to get the most out of their talent, and the Brewers think their processes might help harness that talent. It's not a bad strategy, if so.

Archived