• Last Reply

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

3m

Brewers are close to a deal with a Justin Smoak, solving their 1B issue

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

56s

Brewers are quickly putting their team back together after losing so many players (14 off wild card team). Smoak is good defender with power.

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

3m

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

56s

Brewers are quickly putting their team back together after losing so many players (14 off wild card team). Smoak is good defender with power.

Switch hitter, but is much better as a lefty stick. I think I like Thames better, but it is pretty much a wash.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't know if this really solves anything. I know he was unlucky last year but still.....he's a switch hitter I guess?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm not sure Smoak is a better defender than Thames.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't know if this really solves anything. I know he was unlucky last year but still.....he's a switch hitter I guess?

Yeah his BABIP last year was .223, well below his career average of .266.

He also had a hard hit rate of 42.7% last year compared to a career average of 35.9%.

Very unlucky indeed.

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

3m

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

56s

Switch hitter, but is much better as a lefty stick. I think I like Thames better, but it is pretty much a wash.

I like Thames better too, but I think it's pretty clear Stearns is trying to get away from such a strikeout prone team. Urias, Garcia, Sogard, and Smoak do not strike out a ton compared to who they are replacing.

Love Thames, but Smoak is a much more useful player. Better defense and he's not a strict platoon guy.

2017-2019 vs RHP

Thames: .367 wOBA, 126 wRC+

Smoak: .356 wOBA, 124 wRC+

2017-2019 vs LHP

Thames: .289 wOBA, 74 wRC+

Smoak: .334 wOBA, 110 wRC+

Smoak consistently maintains his OBP 100+ above his BA, is a better defensive 1B than Thames, and has yet to play his home games in Milwaukee's ballpark. Thames is more of a slugger but Smoak is a more well-rounded 1B. To me it's a wash and I'm not going to get upset over it...unless it's a 3-4 year deal for like 8M per. Edit: a 1yr, $5M contract for Smoak is perfect if the info posted to date is correct.

Smoak being a switch hitter gives them a bit of flexibility if they'd ever need Braun in LF and a RH-hitting 1B to face a lefty starter, but in reality Smoak is the likely LH-hitting platoon mate with Braun at 1B, and/or a primary bat off the bench.

I like Thames better too, but I think it's pretty clear Stearns is trying to get away from such a strikeout prone team. Urias, Garcia, Sogard, and Smoak do not strike out a ton compared to who they are replacing.

I don't know this to be true because I kind of feel like Garcia and Smoak strikeout a good amount without looking up the numbers, but it would be very odd for him to value guys who put the ball in play and then also value Brett Anderson a pitcher that allows the ball to be put in play more than anybody in baseball. I don't think this is quite what Stearns is doing.

This makes sense. Hopefully, we can get some good luck going this year.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived