Brewer Fanatic

Are Brewers eyeing 2021-2022 window?

Community Moderator

I think there is still some Melvin-era thinking going on here. They are playing for 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, etc. The Stearns era will never be defined by targeting certain years. It is unwise to do that anyway, as we can not control what anyone else in baseball is doing. Stearns could not control this year's crazy FA market and there was no he was ever going to risk being stuck with a bad contract in 2023-2024 to help the 2020 team.

They have repeatedly proven they will spend money when the time is right, but they will be very reluctant to sacrifice future flexibility to do so. So I highly doubt they will ever sacrifice 2023 for 2021-2022. They were never going to pay $18 million to a 34-year-old Moustakas or Grandal in 2023. The Cain contract was a one-off, not a trend.

They’ve already replaced the production of Grandal & Moustakas with Narvaez & Garcia.

Wrong on both counts.

3and2Fastball is missing a "potentially".

Although it could potentially be wrong as well. Stating either as fact is off-base.

Past Performance:

Moustakis 2 fWAR player

Garica ? fWAR (0.4, 4.2, 0.1, 1.8) so the outlier is?

Grandal 4.5 fWAR player

Narvaez 1.6 fWAR player

Future performance (Depth Charts/Steamer estimates for 2020):

Moustakis 2.1 fWAR

Garcia 1.0 fWAR (not inconsistent from last 2 years, but low in my opinion)

Narvaez 0.5 fWAR (low based on past performance)

Grandal 4.7 fWAR

So how is ~3 of historic fWAR compared to 6.5 fWAR and ~1.5 of projected fWAR compared to 6.8 fWAR qualify for "already replaced"?

Expecting 99 percentile results from every Brewer player just verifies your prescription of Brewer goggles.

Wrong on both counts.

3and2Fastball is missing a "potentially".

Although it could potentially be wrong as well. Stating either as fact is off-base.

Past Performance:

Moustakis 2 fWAR player

Garica ? fWAR (0.4, 4.2, 0.1, 1.8) so the outlier is?

Grandal 4.5 fWAR player

Narvaez 1.6 fWAR player

Future performance (Depth Charts/Steamer estimates for 2020):

Moustakis 2.1 fWAR

Garcia 1.0 fWAR (not inconsistent from last 2 years, but low in my opinion)

Narvaez 0.5 fWAR (low based on past performance)

Grandal 4.7 fWAR

So how is ~3 of historic fWAR compared to 6.5 fWAR and ~1.5 of projected fWAR compared to 6.8 fWAR qualify for "already replaced"?

Expecting 99 percentile results from every Brewer player just verifies your prescription of Brewer goggles.

I'm not really sure if it was specified but if the poster just said, "close to replaced offensive production" it wouldn't have been far off.

The problem is Garcia is an outfielder so the WAR of his bat is not as high as at 2B/3B and Narvaez is not close to the defender that Yaz is. The streamer/depth chart projection right now is assuming that Narvaez's power was a bit fluky last year. We'll see.

Archived