Brewer Fanatic

3rd Base Candidates

pacopete4
It just feels like DS is putting all the pieces in place to make a big move. Like he wanted to make sure he could get the guys he wanted at the price he wanted and then go for the big fish. I don't know if it will be 3B or SP (probably 3B), but sure seems like something is coming.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It just feels like DS is putting all the pieces in place to make a big move. Like he wanted to make sure he could get the guys he wanted at the price he wanted and then go for the big fish. I don't know if it will be 3B or SP (probably 3B), but sure seems like something is coming.

I kinda disagree. I think the Garcia deal might be the big deal. Smoak, Sogard, and Anderson were not negligible deals either the way that say, Ryon Healy's is negligible. Another middling contract ($5-$10M/yr either via FA or trade) seems more likely to me than a bigger splash. I hope I'm wrong.

I kinda disagree. I think the Garcia deal might be the big deal. Smoak, Sogard, and Anderson were not negligible deals either the way that say, Ryon Healy's is negligible. Another middling contract ($5-$10M/yr either via FA or trade) seems more likely to me than a bigger splash. I hope I'm wrong.

I've strangely had that feeling the last day or so as well.... it's as if they wanted to get their basic pieces on the roster filled while the top-end guys got their crazy deals, and now I wonder if the Brewers will swoop in and nab somebody.

I've strangely had that feeling the last day or so as well.... it's as if they wanted to get their basic pieces on the roster filled while the top-end guys got their crazy deals, and now I wonder if the Brewers will swoop in and nab somebody.

Thinking about the little nerd guy leading off for a contending team makes my stomach uneasy. It's one thing to depend on him for depth and another to go into the season believing he's going to be a great player.

Thinking about the little nerd guy having any kind of a large role on this team makes me violently ill.

First off I'd be stunned if he led off. Cain and Urias should be considerations over him in a lead off platoon.

I guess I don't get the venom. I too hope he's the UTL IF option when all is said and done. Maybe he gets spot starts at 2b SS and gets a 33/66 split at 3b. He'd play plenty if that was the case. He'd play 40 more games if he ended up as the 3b starter.

Would that be irritating, yes. Would that be more irritating than the reps we saw from Shaw Aguilar Perez Saladino Spangenberg? The answer to that is an easy no. Arcia is coming off an awful season so if Sogard sucked there wouldn't be much difference there either.

Until we see it, we don't know what Urias will be.

The 3b market is rough. Donaldson and a trade is the only way to get an impact 3b. You really get violently ill over Sogard playing vs a guy like Frasier? Sogard vs Flores Arica?

Depth matters when you contend. I'm expecting a 3b to be added, but I for one am glad we don't have to hope and pray on a Shaw rebound or watch SpanSalaPerez. Sogard is better than that. Stearns is quoted as saying he's going for incremental improvements. That's great because we can't forget how many bad starts MKE fielded last year in the infield.

Thinking about the little nerd guy leading off for a contending team makes my stomach uneasy. It's one thing to depend on him for depth and another to go into the season believing he's going to be a great player.

Thinking about the little nerd guy having any kind of a large role on this team makes me violently ill.

First off I'd be stunned if he led off. Cain and Urias should be considerations over him in a lead off platoon.

I guess I don't get the venom. I too hope he's the UTL IF option when all is said and done. Maybe he gets spot starts at 2b SS and gets a 33/66 split at 3b. He'd play plenty if that was the case. He'd play 40 more games if he ended up as the 3b starter.

Would that be irritating, yes. Would that be more irritating than the reps we saw from Shaw Aguilar Perez Saladino Spangenberg? The answer to that is an easy no. Arcia is coming off an awful season so if Sogard sucked there wouldn't be much difference there either.

Until we see it, we don't know what Urias will be.

The 3b market is rough. Donaldson and a trade is the only way to get an impact 3b. You really get violently ill over Sogard playing vs a guy like Frasier? Sogard vs Flores Arica?

Depth matters when you contend. I'm expecting a 3b to be added, but I for one am glad we don't have to hope and pray on a Shaw rebound or watch SpanSalaPerez. Sogard is better than that. Stearns is quoted as saying he's going for incremental improvements. That's great because we can't forget how many bad starts MKE fielded last year in the infield.

I’m just skeptical of Sogard. Sure, there are players who have a late career renaissance but there’s twice as many players who have one big year and then a bunch of mediocrity. I’m hoping Sogard is the former but my gut tells me it’s probably the latter

I’m just skeptical of Sogard. Sure, there are players who have a late career renaissance but there’s twice as many players who have one big year and then a bunch of mediocrity. I’m hoping Sogard is the former but my gut tells me it’s probably the latter

I am as well because he's a pretty interesting case. Like a lot of people on here, I look for players who CHANGED because they significantly changed a few of their metrics. Sogard applies to that. Hard contact and launch angle jumped in 2017. He got off to a torrid start. Then he fell off a cliff and despite those numbers holding constant his results went from incredible to terrible all the way through 2018. 2019 the results were closer to the way he took off in 2017.

If you know which guy MKE gets this year you got a crystal ball. I think the risk is there to say that 4.5 mil is a little steep, but if 2017's start and 2019 are closer to the results his new approach delivers 4.5 mil is nothing. I'd feel a lot more comfortable about it with a 4 pack of Urias Flores Sogard and Arcia to fill 3b SS and backup 2b. You'd assume 2 of the 4 should work out or 3 in some sort of platoon.

I am as well because he's a pretty interesting case. Like a lot of people on here, I look for players who CHANGED because they significantly changed a few of their metrics. Sogard applies to that. Hard contact and launch angle jumped in 2017. He got off to a torrid start. Then he fell off a cliff and despite those numbers holding constant his results went from incredible to terrible all the way through 2018. 2019 the results were closer to the way he took off in 2017.

If you know which guy MKE gets this year you got a crystal ball. I think the risk is there to say that 4.5 mil is a little steep, but if 2017's start and 2019 are closer to the results his new approach delivers 4.5 mil is nothing. I'd feel a lot more comfortable about it with a 4 pack of Urias Flores Sogard and Arcia to fill 3b SS and backup 2b. You'd assume 2 of the 4 should work out or 3 in some sort of platoon.

I’m thinking to myself: what does Milwaukee have more of: intriguing prospects or $ available? Based on last year, I’d say they have more $ available. Because of that, either sign Donaldson or take on a bad contract to get a 3B. Like maybe JA Happ with Urshela or Andujar to lessen the prospect loss.

Or...my foolish dream yet, go after Donaldson

I’m thinking to myself: what does Milwaukee have more of: intriguing prospects or $ available? Based on last year, I’d say they have more $ available. Because of that, either sign Donaldson or take on a bad contract to get a 3B. Like maybe JA Happ with Urshela or Andujar to lessen the prospect loss.

IMO the Yankees wou't part with Urshela, but would deal Andujar. I think Stearns would gladly take on one year of Happ ($17M), not let him pitch enough innings to get vested for 2021, if he got Andujar in the deal. The question is; what do the Yankees want in return? If it was Arcia or Ray or somebody like that, I would do it in a heart beat.

IMO the Yankees wou't part with Urshela, but would deal Andujar. I think Stearns would gladly take on one year of Happ ($17M), not let him pitch enough innings to get vested for 2021, if he got Andujar in the deal. The question is; what do the Yankees want in return? If it was Arcia or Ray or somebody like that, I would do it in a heart beat.

Feel like they would have just signed Grandal if they really wanted to commit to player for 4 years like Donaldson.

Grandal is 3 years younger than Donaldson. I'd stay away. I'd still go after Seager, but if not him, I think they can get by with what they have and maybe make a play for a guy like Colin Moran at the deadline.

Feel like they would have just signed Grandal if they really wanted to commit to player for 4 years like Donaldson.

Grandal is 3 years younger than Donaldson. I'd stay away. I'd still go after Seager, but if not him, I think they can get by with what they have and maybe make a play for a guy like Colin Moran at the deadline.

I'd still go after Seager, but if not him, I think they can get by with what they have and maybe make a play for a guy like Colin Moran at the deadline.

I was surprised to see how dreadful Moran was defensively at 3B last year. He had the second worst UZR (-8.8) at that position ahead of only Vladimir Guerrero Jr. He rated worse defensively than Miguel Sano, Justin Turner, and Hunter Dozier.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'd still go after Seager, but if not him, I think they can get by with what they have and maybe make a play for a guy like Colin Moran at the deadline.

I was surprised to see how dreadful Moran was defensively at 3B last year. He had the second worst UZR (-8.8) at that position ahead of only Vladimir Guerrero Jr. He rated worse defensively than Miguel Sano, Justin Turner, and Hunter Dozier.

How about someone like Miguel Sano who is mostly a third baseman, but can play some first as well? He has 2 years of arbitration left and is projected to get around $6 million this year.

He does strikeout a ton, but is a guy who will hit 35-40 homers for us if he plays 150 games. He is a below average fielder at third base, but will take his walks. It would be nice to have another big power bat to go with Yelich and Hiura.

I don’t think he would cost too much for us to acquire. What do you think about a Sano acquisition?

I'd love Sano, but even if the Twins sign Donaldson, I think they'd prefer to hold onto him and put him at first. That said, I'm definitely on the Sano bandwagon if they make him available. I would think pitching would be enticing for the Twins and everyone's favorite MLB Trade Values site puts him right around the same level as Peralta or Houser, so maybe they would find a match there, but I would definitely hope the Crew could find some additional SP help elsewhere then as well.

I'd love Sano, but even if the Twins sign Donaldson, I think they'd prefer to hold onto him and put him at first. That said, I'm definitely on the Sano bandwagon if they make him available. I would think pitching would be enticing for the Twins and everyone's favorite MLB Trade Values site puts him right around the same level as Peralta or Houser, so maybe they would find a match there, but I would definitely hope the Crew could find some additional SP help elsewhere then as well.

If the Twins did sign Donaldson and the Brewers thought the left handed hitting Luis Arraez could serve as the primary third baseman he might be a nice target, although it would likely cost the Brewers some quality major league talent to acquire him. His strikeout rate was just 7.9% and his OBP was .379 last season.

If the Twins did sign Donaldson and the Brewers thought the left handed hitting Luis Arraez could serve as the primary third baseman he might be a nice target, although it would likely cost the Brewers some quality major league talent to acquire him. His strikeout rate was just 7.9% and his OBP was .379 last season.

I can't imagine the Twins would even entertain offers for Arraez. He hit extremely well at every level including last year in the majors. He can play OF and 2B besides 3B. The Brewers just don't have enough young talent to pull off a deal like that.

Archived