Brewer Fanatic

3rd Base Candidates

pacopete4
I would love for the Brewers to make a play for Matt Chapman. I am not sure if the A's would make him available or what they would want, but I would be willing to trade Hader and Urias for him. Yes, that would mean Arcia/Sogard as your SS, but that Chapman-Arcia left side of the IF would be elite defensively.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wonder if the Dbacks would be interested in a Corey Ray/Adrian Houser for Robbie Ray/Jake Lamb swap?

They are looking for MLB ready OFers. Too bad Ray had such a terrible season in the minors last year. This probably won't get it done.

I'm not sold on Ray, not in the least. Is it feasible that Houser could be at least as good as Ray?

No that is not feasible.

Wonder if the Dbacks would be interested in a Corey Ray/Adrian Houser for Robbie Ray/Jake Lamb swap?

They are looking for MLB ready OFers. Too bad Ray had such a terrible season in the minors last year. This probably won't get it done.

I'm not sold on Ray, not in the least. Is it feasible that Houser could be at least as good as Ray?

No that is not feasible.

Can I borrow the Delorean when you're done? ;)

Well I was running through options since this seems like the only spot left. Donaldson is a pipe dream. Here's what I think as a couple options not talked about much.

Cabrera/Frazier: Talked about plenty already, so leaving out.

Cesar Hernandez: Question is can he play 3B? Otherwise I actually think he'd be a really good under the radar signing that fits some skills we don't have. High BA type guy who puts ball in play. But, he does K a decent amount considering that and the stereotype you think of for smaller quick guys. Good baserunning. Just a solid player. CAn also shift to 2B late game and someone else go to 3B

Now here's one most here will probably hate, but don't rule out considering we're the Brewers with no money, Jedd Gyorko: Had an absolutely brutal 2019 after 3 consistent and solid years before. From what i can tell he hurt his back and then never recovered, had other injuries during his rehab. But, a theme with other moves is finding undervalued guys hoping for bounce backs after poor 2018. He'd come super cheap. Is high contact low K guy, which we could use. Just turned 31, so not too old. For league min this might actually be a fairly solid move, if the medical stuff checks out.

Really not a ton out there as FAs right now.

What about Austin Riley? The Braves could sign Donaldson, trade for Bryant, or start Camargo.

According to the BTV website, Hader and Riley have similar values.

I would be all over a Hader for Riley swap. If we don’t get Donaldson which I know is highly unlikely anyway, I’m hoping it’s the Braves which would make Riley more expendable. A core of Yelich, Hiura, Urias and Riley would be sweet.

The Athletic had a post today about the biggest needs in MLB. Third base for the Crew was mentioned and this trade was floated as the solution:

Brewers receive Kyle Seager

Brewers trade Corey Ray, Jacob Nottingham and Dylan File

I would go with a hard pass on this one if I am the Brewers.

I'd be most irritated by the inclusion of File as far as what MKE sends out. I've lost hope for Ray but I'd still expect MKE to hold him on the 40 until he's out of options. There's zero reason to give him away and at this point his going price can't be much better than giving him away.

As stated above, what is Seattle paying of that Seager contract? 75%?

Seager is fine but he's a negative value contract. You don't give up prospects to take on junk deals.

People tossing in the middle of the pack options for 3b. Don't forget Wilmer Flores.

I think if I had to pick my favorite outcome going forward it would be a Hader for Lux or Hader for Riley swap and then spend a chunk of whatever money you have left on Betances or Will Smith for the year. I do understand that the trades are unlikely until further notice, but I feel like this avenue would lead the highest combo of upside + sustainability, at least for me. I would like Donaldson if they pulled that off, but there is some risk there at the end of whatever deal they'd agree to. Seager would be fine-to-good but you'd be gambling on a couple of things as well. You'd be gambling on those prospects as well I guess, but...well...[points to first two sentences]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Athletic had a post today about the biggest needs in MLB. Third base for the Crew was mentioned and this trade was floated as the solution:

To me, Seager has negative value. And it's not even close. Here's my ideas for Seager:

Milwaukee gets: Seager, $20M

Seattle gets: Grade C prospect or two (sub Top 25 types)

Milwaukee gets: Seager, Justus Sheffield

Seattle gets: Grade C prospect or two (sub Top 25 types)

Milwaukee gets: Seager, Marco Gonzalez

Seattle gets: Freddy Peralta, one or two grade B prospects (guys in the 15-25 prospect range)

I could see Orlando Arcia getting dealt in any of these packages. I think he's pretty much got minimal value. Seattle might want to give him another shot as they rebuild - or instead just save their money. Whatever works in my opinion.

As you can see, I believe Seager is under water by about $20M. However, maybe I'm underestimating his value.

I'd be most irritated by the inclusion of File as far as what MKE sends out. I've lost hope for Ray but I'd still expect MKE to hold him on the 40 until he's out of options. There's zero reason to give him away and at this point his going price can't be much better than giving him away.

As stated above, what is Seattle paying of that Seager contract? 75%?

Seager is fine but he's a negative value contract. You don't give up prospects to take on junk deals.

People tossing in the middle of the pack options for 3b. Don't forget Wilmer Flores.

Flores is my top choice for third base. Get him and have him in the 6 or 7 hole everyday and I’ll feel very good about our everyday lineup. You could do a lot worse than having guys like Flores, Braun, and Smoak in the 6 or 7 hole.

What about Hunter Dozier from the Royals?

He had a breakout year last season in his 2nd season in the majors. I am not sure on his value but he would be someone I wouldn't mind the Brewers going after.

He will be 28 for the majority of the season and won't turn 29 until August. He is not all that expensive so it might take a bit more maybe a Ray Nottingham and a lower level prospect.

Arcia for Seager straight up. Seager platoons with Healy at 3B.

26 man roster, not 28.

?????

Infielders: Smoak/Braun, Hiura, Urias, Seager, Sogard, Healy

Outfielders: Braun, Garcia, Cain, Gamel, Yelich

Catchers: Narvaez, Pina

13 pitchers or 12 pitchers and a 3rd catcher

Thinking about the little nerd guy leading off for a contending team makes my stomach uneasy. It's one thing to depend on him for depth and another to go into the season believing he's going to be a great player.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I have absolutely no issues with Sogard as the team's utility infielder. He'd make for a great late-inning Hiura replacement and perhaps even one of the team's better pinch hitters. I'm also about 97% sure that is the role the Brewers have him pegged for in 2020.

If the Brewers are banking on Eric Sogard being their primary 3B, or platooning with a guy like Ryon Healy, that is going to be extremely disappointing. I won't go so far as to say that would be punting on getting near the same production at they got the last few years from the 3B position, but it is inching toward that territory.

Arcia for Seager straight up. Seager platoons with Healy at 3B.

26 man roster, not 28.

?????

Infielders: Smoak/Braun, Hiura, Urias, Seager, Sogard, Healy

Outfielders: Braun, Garcia, Cain, Gamel, Yelich

Catchers: Narvaez, Pina

13 pitchers or 12 pitchers and a 3rd catcher

OK, I didn't notice Arcia going out in that trade but I will still adress the fact that Healy will not be in a platoon at 3B. His splits are pretty neutral but Seager's are not drastic either.

If you did Arcia for Seager I think you'd have Seager take 80% of the starts and Sogard/Urias get a few over there. I still think you'd have yet another utility guy for defensive purposes instead of Healy but it is also possible that Healy just sits as the 26th man and gets 3 ABs/week looking to tie the game in the 8th with a homer after the Brewers have pulled a lot of other strings.

Thinking about the little nerd guy leading off for a contending team makes my stomach uneasy. It's one thing to depend on him for depth and another to go into the season believing he's going to be a great player.

Thinking about the little nerd guy having any kind of a large role on this team makes me violently ill.

I thought this page was turned a long time ago, yet here we are, starting a new novel.

He was just so bad the last time he played here, and it seems people have forgotten just how terrible he was when we released him. Let that sink in, we cut him, released him, and now we are paying him 4.5 million to return.

Baseball is strange sometimes.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Thinking about the little nerd guy having any kind of a large role on this team makes me violently ill.

I thought this page was turned a long time ago, yet here we are, starting a new novel.

He was just so bad the last time he played here, and it seems people have forgotten just how terrible he was when we released him. Let that sink in, we cut him, released him, and now we are paying him 4.5 million to return.

No one is forgetting how bad he was. Also, no one is really lauding this move. If Sogard can match what he did last year, he's a valuable reserve. That's a big if, though. If they signed him to start at 3B, I think most everyone would agree that is universally terrible. But as a utility IF and insurance for a young gun in Urias at SS and a terrible defender at 2B in Hiura, he's probably OK.

I have absolutely no issues with Sogard as the team's utility infielder. He'd make for a great late-inning Hiura replacement and perhaps even one of the team's better pinch hitters. I'm also about 97% sure that is the role the Brewers have him pegged for in 2020.

If the Brewers are banking on Eric Sogard being their primary 3B, or platooning with a guy like Ryon Healy, that is going to be extremely disappointing. I won't go so far as to say that would be punting on getting near the same production at they got the last few years from the 3B position, but it is inching toward that territory.

Great post. Sogard should be an expensive Hernan Perez and, much like Perez, I expect Counsell to give him way too many starts. Sogard should be the main backup to 3B, SS and 2B, start twice a week and that is all. With that being said, with Urias and Sogard, I really don't see the need for Arcia any longer and am confident he will be dealt at some point this offseason.

Orlando Arcia for Chris Archer

As I noted in the signing thread, outside of the top 100 or so players in baseball, the success of the next tier of players has to do with finding perfect mechanical adjustments, stadium/team environment, and maybe age at certain times.

I don't know why these deep, personal feelings cut so deep for certain fans. Chase Anderson is one of these players that drew the ire of every Haudricourt reply when he was having home run struggles. He'd tweet, "Anderson gives up a home run and the Brewers are down 2-0" and 50 replies would fill up with how terrible of a player he was. Ditto on the first month of Chacin in 2018. Then Anderson returned to being a somewhat valuable piece in 2019 and counted on.

These things happen. If the generally good management team thinks that Sogard is a good utility add and that he had some bad luck in 2018 and his mechanical changes in 2017 are really the guy he is (solid 2017, good 2019) then sign me up. I really don't care about the past in these cases. If I cared that much about that I'd probably have hated half of the Brewers players in the past few years that have ever had a down season.

Say Yasmani bombed in 2019 on the Brewers but was crushing the ball after fixing his mechanics on another 1-year deal in 2020 for some other team. If the Brewers traded back for him in 2020 I'd be a fan. Who cares?

Archived