Brewer Fanatic

3rd Base Candidates

pacopete4
I'm guessing now Stearns signs Mike Lamb and platoons him with Healy. He's hoping he'll get their 2916-17 versions.

[sarcasm]I've been a staunch defender of Stearns so far, but giving a major-league contract to a 44-year-old who retired nine years ago is a bridge too far.[/sarcasm]

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Free Agents:

-Josh Donaldson: Last reported that the Nats are offering 4years at $100M. Doubtful he's a candidate.

-Todd Fraiser: About as league average as you get but might not break the bank either.

-Asdrúbal Cabrera: Not ideal but could be a stopgap until a better option is found.

Trade Candidates:

-Jose Ramirez (Indians): Would be the best fit for a trade due to our current window and he is entering his prime years.

-Josh Turner (Dodgers): Depending on who the Dodgers sign, he could be a target. Owed $20M in 2020.

-Matt Chapman (Athletics): Doubtful we have the prospects to make this happen.

-Kyle Seager (Mariners): I think the Mariners would have to chip in a bit here to make this a reality.

-Eduardo Escobar (Dbacks): Signing MadBum probably means they wouldn't move a guy like this but he's a solid bat.

-Nolan Arenado (Rockies): Another one where I don't think we have the pieces to move to make this a reality.

Anyone else I am missing that could be a fit?

More potential 3B trade options...

Johan Camargo (Braves): Switch hitting 3B that currently projects to be on the Braves bench after the emergence of Austin Riley. Injured last year and had a down performance, but put up a 115 OPS+ and was nearly a 4-win player as a 24 year old in 2018. Also good defensively. Has played every spot on the infield as well as the corner outfield. Good bounce back candidate if healthy.

Hunter Dozier (Royals): He projects to be around an .800 OPS hitter. He’s not great defensively.

David Fletcher (Angels): Very good defensively. Was bounced from 3B by the Rendon signing. Might move over to 2B for the Angels if they prefer his youth over Tommy La Stella.

Tommy La Stella (Angels): Left handed batter that had a 119 OPS+ last season. Played 30 games at 3B in 2019. See above note regarding David Fletcher.

Miguel Sanó (Twins): I doubt he gets traded, but there continue to be rumblings that the Twins are in on Donaldson and would either move Sano to 1B or entertain offers.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Free Agents:

-Josh Donaldson: Last reported that the Nats are offering 4years at $100M. Doubtful he's a candidate.

-Todd Fraiser: About as league average as you get but might not break the bank either.

-Asdrúbal Cabrera: Not ideal but could be a stopgap until a better option is found.

Trade Candidates:

-Jose Ramirez (Indians): Would be the best fit for a trade due to our current window and he is entering his prime years.

-Josh Turner (Dodgers): Depending on who the Dodgers sign, he could be a target. Owed $20M in 2020.

-Kyle Seager (Mariners): I think the Mariners would have to chip in a bit here to make this a reality.

-Eduardo Escobar (Dbacks): Signing MadBum probably means they wouldn't move a guy like this but he's a solid bat.

-Nolan Arenado (Rockies): Another one where I don't think we have the pieces to move to make this a reality.

Johan Camargo (Braves): Switch hitting 3B that currently projects to be on the Braves bench after the emergence of Austin Riley. Injured last year and had a down performance, but put up a 115 OPS+ and was nearly a 4-win player as a 24 year old in 2018. Also good defensively. Has played every spot on the infield as well as the corner outfield. Good bounce back candidate if healthy.

Hunter Dozier (Royals): He projects to be around an .800 OPS hitter. He’s not great defensively.

David Fletcher (Angels): Very good defensively. Was bounced from 3B by the Rendon signing. Might move over to 2B for the Angels if they prefer his youth over Tommy La Stella.

Tommy La Stella (Angels): Left handed batter that had a 119 OPS+ last season. Played 30 games at 3B in 2019. See above note regarding David Fletcher.

Miguel Sanó (Twins): I doubt he gets traded, but there continue to be rumblings that the Twins are in on Donaldson and would either move Sano to 1B or entertain offers.

I had forgotten about Carmargo. That would be interesting. I wonder what it would take to get him.

I like Fletcher as well - but I imagine he's going to cost a bit to pry away. I also don't mind having him at 3B. I'm not stuck on the position being a power guy.

Free Agents:

Trade Candidates:

I don't think the Twins trade Sano either. They won't get Donaldson the way it looks and I don't think the Brewers have what the Twins would want for Sano anyway. Thanks for mentioning Fletcher. He has very, very little power, but hits the ball well (.290/.350). I don't know what the Angels would want for him, but he's expendable with the Rendon signing. LaStella's a decent hitter with a little more pop, but going to be 31 in January. A lefty bat and as good an option as any (other than Donaldson or McNeil) that's been discussed. Dozier is horrible at 3B and probably not an option. Camargo was shuttled between AAA and Atlanta last year. He was injured part of the time and hit a terrible .233/.279. He would be a good target for Stearns and should be relatively inexpensive to procure. I like your thinking.

Big fan of this Fletcher idea. Very good defense at 3b both years. If he can raise his AVG/OBP a tick, he's lead off man territory. He also doesn't K at all.

Cain and Fletcher could be 2 strong defensive high OBP guys that could fit in nicely around the power the roster has in place.

In the event Cain doesn't fully rebound,

RHP Fletcher Yelich Hiura Thames Garcia Narvaez Cain Urias

LHP Cain Yelich Hiura Braun Garcia Urias Pina Fletcher

Looks pretty good.

I guess we need to trade Lutz for him.

I don't see any way the Indians trade Ramirez. He's under very team friendly control through 2023. I think Stearns has clearly pared down the 3B targets to LH hitters. The Healy signing indicates he's even more focused on a lefty hitter who kills RHP but needs to sit vs. LHP. Jake Lamb has a career .814 OPS vs. RHP and a career .594 OPS vs. LHP. Lamb was an All Star as recently as 2017. He's only 29. No reason to think he can't be helped by a change of scenery.

I don't see any way the Indians trade Ramirez. He's under very team friendly control through 2023. I think Stearns has clearly pared down the 3B targets to LH hitters. The Healy signing indicates he's even more focused on a lefty hitter who kills RHP but needs to sit vs. LHP. Jake Lamb has a career .814 OPS vs. RHP and a career .594 OPS vs. LHP. Lamb was an All Star as recently as 2017. He's only 29. No reason to think he can't be helped by a change of scenery.

What do you think the DBacks would be looking for in return for Lamb?

I'm guessing now Stearns signs Mike Lamb and platoons him with Healy. He's hoping he'll get their 2916-17 versions.

Mike Lamb is 44. He might be a tad past his prime.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lambmi01.shtml

If you're thinking of Jake Lamb, he isn't a free agent.

Senior moment! Corrected it. Didn't realize they tendered him but might be because they think they can get something back by tendering him and then dealing him. He's without a position on the D Backs/

Wonder if the Dbacks would be interested in a Corey Ray/Adrian Houser for Robbie Ray/Jake Lamb swap?

They are looking for MLB ready OFers. Too bad Ray had such a terrible season in the minors last year. This probably won't get it done.

Wonder if the Dbacks would be interested in a Corey Ray/Adrian Houser for Robbie Ray/Jake Lamb swap?

They are looking for MLB ready OFers. Too bad Ray had such a terrible season in the minors last year. This probably won't get it done.

I'm not sold on Ray, not in the least. Is it feasible that Houser could be at least as good as Ray?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Athletic had a post today about the biggest needs in MLB. Third base for the Crew was mentioned and this trade was floated as the solution:

Brewers receive Kyle Seager

Brewers trade Corey Ray, Jacob Nottingham and Dylan File

I would go with a hard pass on this one if I am the Brewers.

How much of Seager's contract will the Mariners be paying?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Athletic had a post today about the biggest needs in MLB. Third base for the Crew was mentioned and this trade was floated as the solution:

I simply don't understand why Corey Ray is getting thrown into all these trade proposals. The Brewers aren't gonna trade off a guy like this when his value is at its absolute lowest. I see Ray as a prime bounce-back guy, and he very well could be a guy who is on the move come the end of July. No way is he dealt now, though, unless another team is valuing him for his upside. Ray certainly hasn't fulfilled his vast potential, but he's got a ways to go before he's "trade throw-in" fodder.

I simply don't understand why Corey Ray is getting thrown into all these trade proposals. The Brewers aren't gonna trade off a guy like this when his value is at its absolute lowest. I see Ray as a prime bounce-back guy, and he very well could be a guy who is on the move come the end of July. No way is he dealt now, though, unless another team is valuing him for his upside. Ray certainly hasn't fulfilled his vast potential, but he's got a ways to go before he's "trade throw-in" fodder.

I'm with you that if he gets another season to figure out AAA/get things straight, he might go back to a .240/.320/.430 type of slash line...but he'd still be looking at cracking into the majors at 26 (at best) with much worse/clearer issues at contacting the ball than even Brinson or Phillips ever had.

We'd basically be giving 3 wild cards to Seattle for a good (injury/age risk) MLB player and my guess is that none of the wild cards will actually turn into much.

Back to Ray, I'm trying to think of any of the guys that took until their late 20s to make it to the majors that had this glaring of issues. Guys like Merrifield developed their power in their late 20s but did not have the massive strikeout problems that Ray has.

We all just kinda said, "eh, whatever" about giving away Trent Grisham who was already in the majors without the red flags of contacting the ball in the minors and 2 years younger than Ray.

If Seager is traded the option year becomes a player option (likely guaranteed year with age/production decline).

3 year average bWAR/fWAR for Seager is 2.3. Steamer is projecting him at 2.4 WAR for 2020. If one starts with the three year average and then uses the 0.5 WAR/season decrease based on age, that makes him a 2.3, 1.8, 1.3 WAR player over the next three years. At 9 million per WAR, that makes his value 48.6 million. He will make 52 million over those three seasons, so I have him in negative value territory (-3.4 million). I'm guessing the consensus around MLB front offices would have him being even more of a negative, although I think the -21.8 listed on the tradevalue site is excessive.

More reasonable trade with be Seager + cash for a fringe prospect....the variable in this being the amount of cash headed to Milwaukee. It would likely have to be a pretty big chunk, as Seager makes 19 million in 2020 and I'm guessing the limit is not allowing Stearns to add another 19 million to the 2020 payroll.

Archived