Brewer Fanatic

3rd Base Candidates

pacopete4
Try to get Abraham Toro, the Astros #5 prospect, in a trade to at least have upside and controllability at 3B. He’s a switch hitter who had a 938 OPS at AAA as a 22 year old. He made the bigs for a bit but obviously is blocked by bregman

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try to get Abraham Toro, the Astros #5 prospect, in a trade to at least have upside and controllability at 3B. He’s a switch hitter who had a 938 OPS at AAA as a 22 year old. He made the bigs for a bit but obviously is blocked by bregman

Problem is there were really only three good options at 3B FA market and we couldn't afford them. Cheapest one being 4/65ish mil who is 32 years old. I just don't know what people really expect sometimes. Pretty much all the rest are questions and no guarantees. Can't just pluck a guy out of thin air.

There are reasonable options between Anthony Rendon and the -0.5 WAR Jerkstore (in just 101 PA's).

Name them.

Problem is there were really only three good options at 3B FA market and we couldn't afford them. Cheapest one being 4/65ish mil who is 32 years old. I just don't know what people really expect sometimes. Pretty much all the rest are questions and no guarantees. Can't just pluck a guy out of thin air.

There are reasonable options between Anthony Rendon and the -0.5 WAR Jerkstore (in just 101 PA's).

Name them.

Twins signed Sano maybe off the Donaldson sweepstakes's

I really liked Sano as a target for the Brewers even outside of a Hader trade with them. I was really hoping the Twins would spend on Donaldson and look to move Sano. Too bad that didn’t happen.

Twins signed Sano maybe off the Donaldson sweepstakes's

I really liked Sano as a target for the Brewers even outside of a Hader trade with them. I was really hoping the Twins would spend on Donaldson and look to move Sano. Too bad that didn’t happen.

How many are better than his 2016-2018 self when he wasn't hurt? He put up 6.3 WAR according to fangraphs those years and was a positive grade as a defender at 3b. He put up more WAR at 27-29 than Moose did in roughly the same ABs.

How many guys match that and cost 2 mil? You just wanna be mad.

Honestly, I don't get how teams are this stupid. Guy lost a year due to injury and now you've written him off? Yet Moose, because he didn't lose a year to injury is worth 16/4? That's a huge difference based on what have you done for me lately.

People act like Jerkstore's injuries from 2019 will magically go away. He had a back injury, calf injury, and a wrist injury. He needed surgery on the wrist. For 2020, I'm taking the under compared to his 2016-18 WAR. In fact, I'll take the way under. I think he will be off the roster by the trade deadline. That said, I'd love to be wrong.

How many are better than his 2016-2018 self when he wasn't hurt? He put up 6.3 WAR according to fangraphs those years and was a positive grade as a defender at 3b. He put up more WAR at 27-29 than Moose did in roughly the same ABs.

How many guys match that and cost 2 mil? You just wanna be mad.

Honestly, I don't get how teams are this stupid. Guy lost a year due to injury and now you've written him off? Yet Moose, because he didn't lose a year to injury is worth 16/4? That's a huge difference based on what have you done for me lately.

People act like Jerkstore's injuries from 2019 will magically go away. He had a back injury, calf injury, and a wrist injury. He needed surgery on the wrist. For 2020, I'm taking the under compared to his 2016-18 WAR. In fact, I'll take the way under. I think he will be off the roster by the trade deadline. That said, I'd love to be wrong.

... and you are acting like you know more than Stearns and the acquisition team. Both seem like extreme stances, no?

... and you are acting like you know more than Stearns and the acquisition team. Both seem like extreme stances, no?

That's an odd criticism. By that logic no one should post any opinions contrary to decisions that DS has made.

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=39344

A reminder that taking an aggressive tone tends to be met with snark and more negativity. Not criticizing, because I'm guilty of doing this as well. I too am very skeptical of Gyorko, but it is possible to point out your skepticism without the "Jerkstore" and hyperbolic ideas.

Just so everyone is clear, Jerk-Store is Gyorko’s nickname, and he wears it on his players weekend jersey.

Thank you for the clarification. I was wondering why someone was being so seemingly obnoxious, but now I understand. :)

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Nobody does. He has been a 440 PA guy from 25-29 because he's always nicked up. The back was spasms. There's a long history of tissue issues with him that have cost him time here and there. That'll continue. He's not going to play a full season. Wonder why MKE added him to platoon 3b with Sogard? The NBA calls it load management. The new 26 man roster allows you to manufacture 2 positions. I think 440 PA from both covers all of 3b and then some.

I'll happily trust the MKE medical staff and DS on this one over your hunch that he's toast which is fueled by bias because you wanted someone else.

People are excited about his platoon capabilities at 3b, which he plays solid defensively, in the smaller half of the platoon. No one's expecting an All Star. He's here to abuse LHP and play 3b for 65-75 starts this year. That's 3 games a week.

Nobody does. He has been a 440 PA guy from 25-29 because he's always nicked up. The back was spasms. There's a long history of tissue issues with him that have cost him time here and there. That'll continue. He's not going to play a full season. Wonder why MKE added him to platoon 3b with Sogard? The NBA calls it load management. The new 26 man roster allows you to manufacture 2 positions. I think 440 PA from both covers all of 3b and then some.

I'll happily trust the MKE medical staff and DS on this one over your hunch that he's toast which is fueled by bias because you wanted someone else.

People are excited about his platoon capabilities at 3b, which he plays solid defensively, in the smaller half of the platoon. No one's expecting an All Star. He's here to abuse LHP and play 3b for 65-75 starts this year. That's 3 games a week.

If Eric Sogard bats 440 times the Brewers are in serious trouble.

If Eric Sogard bats 440 times the Brewers are in serious trouble.

Sogard had 400 ABs last year. If he matches those numbers, it would be the opposite of serious trouble. Personally the prospect of that doesn't excite me, but saying something like this in absolutes is a folly as well.

Expecting Sogard to repeat his career year at age 33 is just as much a folly.

Exactly. We just don't know. I don't expect that, but it doesn't mean it can't happen.

Looking over the last three years - Sogard posted a .744 OPS, including a .352 OBP.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sogarer01.shtml#2017-2019-sum:batting_standard

Ironically, Marcel projections from Baseball-Reference have him posting a .744 OPS over 380 ABs.

If that is what he provides - and I think that 2018 was more the fluke than 2017-2019 was... then I think Sogard will be quite valuable as a part-time SS/3B.

Expecting Sogard to repeat his career year at age 33 is just as much a folly.

Exactly. We just don't know. I don't expect that, but it doesn't mean it can't happen.

Nor have I seen anyone that is actually expecting him to repeat his career year. That doesn't mean he can't be an effective player when put in a position to best maximize his strengths.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

The problem is that we have too many positions where we are hoping a player we put out there today will maximize his strengths. Very few sure things in our lineup. And as I said in an earlier thread this is the best we can hope for. When it all works we are competitive and when it doesn't we are looking who we can sign for a good value for next year. But is being competitive enough? For most fans it probably is. But that doesn't bring a championship to Milwaukee. And that is really what everyone should want.

You would not have a 440PA split for the season. 350-400, 360-390, 370-380

Would be the max split dont you think? 4x162=648. 5x162=810.

I think we're done with 3b barring the "trade" Stearns said would likely get his 3b. Im certainly feeling better with Gyorko at 3b than Andujar involved in trade ideas to play 3b in 2020.

The problem is that we have too many positions where we are hoping a player we put out there today will maximize his strengths. Very few sure things in our lineup. And as I said in an earlier thread this is the best we can hope for. When it all works we are competitive and when it doesn't we are looking who we can sign for a good value for next year. But is being competitive enough? For most fans it probably is. But that doesn't bring a championship to Milwaukee. And that is really what everyone should want.

When you have enough guys out there who can maximize their strengths, it very much can get you a championship. I personally would have loved to see what this team could have done had they been able to escape that Wild Card game, because that was a team that was full of guys maximizing their strengths. Get to the playoffs, and all bets are off.

In the end, as much as we may not want to admit it, this is the way they are going to build. They had the opportunity to get Grandal and Moose on short deals last year, and while I'm very happy they took advantage of that opportunity, those deals simply aren't going to happen every season. So what we are left with is taking flyers on guys who have had proven big league success, but had down seasons for whatever reason last year.

I will say one thing ... this is really Stearn's first opportunity to remake this squad in the image he wants. If they are a top-flight contender this season, that's all on him. Likewise if they are bad. I personally feel they will be a contender, but I can certainly see a chance for doom and gloom as well. It's shaping up to be an extremely interesting year.

Archived