Brewer Fanatic

3rd Base Candidates

pacopete4
I'm just biding time for Donaldson to sign somewhere, anywhere, so the 3B trade market can take off...I expect a flurry of moves across MLB once that happens, because there are some huge market clubs that will look to upgrade at 3B and/or SS if they don't land Donaldson.

The Brewers will bring someone else in to be their primary 3b option.

Judging by what has gone down so far, Todd Frazier or Jed Lowrie might be the best we can expect (yuk), unless a serious trade goes down.

I know a lot of people are high on what we've done so far, but I just don't see the team, as it sits today, being better than last year's squad.

This is exactly where I'm at. It seems that they are banking on an awful lot of things to go right, if not perfectly, for them to be as good as the last couple years. That's not really a solid strategy.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ON paper, yea I guess I'd agree that it doesn't look as good.

But, I can see scenarios where they end up better. First, pretty much all beginning season starters flopped last year. Even just mediocre production from the new guys is better. Second, bullpen was a disaster outside of Hader until mid August. Even Hader had his rough 4ish weeks. It really wouldn't be too difficult to be better than that next year. Offense of course lost some fire power, but Keston full year makes up for some. 1B/3B were black holes the first few months last year, not hard to get better production there to make up for drop off with Moose/Grandal gone. Cain, gong from blah to descent again (even if not 2018 self) is another area. So there are ways for it to happen, but I'd also be very skeptical on a 3rd year in a row of an insane hot streak in September, especially with the new rules.

Well I was running through options since this seems like the only spot left. Donaldson is a pipe dream. Here's what I think as a couple options not talked about much.

Cabrera/Frazier: Talked about plenty already, so leaving out.

Cesar Hernandez: Question is can he play 3B? Otherwise I actually think he'd be a really good under the radar signing that fits some skills we don't have. High BA type guy who puts ball in play. But, he does K a decent amount considering that and the stereotype you think of for smaller quick guys. Good baserunning. Just a solid player. CAn also shift to 2B late game and someone else go to 3B

Now here's one most here will probably hate, but don't rule out considering we're the Brewers with no money, Jedd Gyorko: Had an absolutely brutal 2019 after 3 consistent and solid years before. From what i can tell he hurt his back and then never recovered, had other injuries during his rehab. But, a theme with other moves is finding undervalued guys hoping for bounce backs after poor 2018. He'd come super cheap. Is high contact low K guy, which we could use. Just turned 31, so not too old. For league min this might actually be a fairly solid move, if the medical stuff checks out.

Really not a ton out there as FAs right now.

Heyooo, sometimes I get one right.

I guess it depends on what your definition of big move is but I would say Narvaez was definitely not a “big” move. He’s a great offensive catcher but he is absolutely atrocious defensively. Which is why Seattle was willing to give him up for not even a top 100 prospect even though he has three more years of control.

And I think in order to get a young significant impact bat a Hader trade is your best option. And I think Stearns knows that even though Hader is amazing, he’s a reliever, and they can be volatile. And if you can get a young cost controlled impact middle of the order bat for him, you take it.

Not even a top 100 player? They barely got a top 100 pick and Hill's an older lottery ticket. That's likely not even equal to a top 300 player. He is 30 points of OBP shy of replacing Grandal's offense and costs 15 million less this year. Will cost about 13 and 11 less the next 2 years. I'm not sure anyone can justify that difference. 30 points of OBP and pitch framing being worth 39 million over the next 3 years?

I guess I don't understand what big is because that was a huge get. Unless the bar for big has been set at Yelich, then big = nearly impossible.

I'm sorry but Hader is not the trade chip. I've been around here for years and constantly people are whining about wanting elite arms and crying about never home growing anything out of the farm. Now that we have one of the most dominant arms in baseball, people are ready to sign him over because of a host of excuses. They want 30 million thrown at a starter but grumble about Hader's arby. It makes no sense. Hader is 25. His numbers have been sensational every year. His BB/9 went down. His K/9 went up. Yeah HRs went up for him, like everyone else. He's been solid as a rock yearly. The RPs who are volatile are the average ones. He's not one of those. This talk has been bonkers and I feel like I'm one of the few who remembers Hader in games that weren't the playoff loss to Washington.

There's a reason why people think they can get a ton for him. It's because he's worth it and MKE won't be able to replace the massive hole that will leave in the pen. A place where this team has stolen wins for the past 2 years.

You keep bringing up his offensive stats which are great I understand and then leaving out the fact that he might be the worst defensive catcher in the league. That will have an impact on our pitching. I hope the Brewers saw something that they can fix but his D is so bad that the Mariners and the rest of the league were like we don’t even care how good he is offensively he is an absolute disaster defensively so basically you can take him for almost nothing. Think about that for a minute. And I’m hoping the Brewers can fix him somehow but being that bad probably makes him a part time player. And getting a part time player isn’t a “big” move in my book.

And having an elite RP like Hader is great but again Stearns probably views this as a luxury and if he could flip that for a young cost controlled middle of the order bat that will play 150 games a year along with a possible mid rotation starter who can pitch 150-175 a year that will far exceed the value of Hader.

This is an interesting take. Castellanos had a 2.7 war and will command $15+ million at a position easier to find good offensive production. Narvaez had 2.1 war at a position not full of talented offensive members for less than $3 mil this year.

Yes, different positions. Yes, war isn’t everything. But to say Narvaez isn’t close to as “big” of a move as castenllos would be a bit off in my opinion. Castellanos gets the name recognition due to being on the cubs, but no one was calling for him prior. Personally hope we never touch Castellanos. I think Narvaez could make a big jump and out produce him for a fraction of the price.

Big for me would be getting a Matt Chapman! That I would get excited about.

Thank you because as I was reading this I was feeling like "I must be crazy" again.

Narvaez has recently produced 30 OBP worse than Grandal but the rest offensively is the same. Grandal who hit mostly 2nd 4th and 5th. He's actually been quite similar to Moose who hit 3rd 4th and 5th. But he's not a middle of the order bat? Where's the middle of the order? He cost 3 mil and he rivals them offensively and that's not big? Castellanos can't play defense either but he is big? Makes me feel crazy. I feel like this team doesn't have a shortage of middle of the order bats. Yelich is an MVP, Hiura is a middle of the order bat. Braun/Smoak platoon projects to middle of the order numbers. Garcia is probably more 5-6 than 3-4 but he's not far off. Narvaez is a monster vs RHP. He's a middle of the order guy 60-66% of the time.

If big is Chapman. I don't know what huge is. Pulling Chapman in 2020 after Yelich in 2018 would be epic.

Problem is there were really only three good options at 3B FA market and we couldn't afford them. Cheapest one being 4/65ish mil who is 32 years old. I just don't know what people really expect sometimes. Pretty much all the rest are questions and no guarantees. Can't just pluck a guy out of thin air.

Problem is there were really only three good options at 3B FA market and we couldn't afford them. Cheapest one being 4/65ish mil who is 32 years old. I just don't know what people really expect sometimes. Pretty much all the rest are questions and no guarantees. Can't just pluck a guy out of thin air.

Fantasy baseball redraft logic. No concept of value or money.

Fantasy baseball redraft logic. No concept of value or money.

There are reasonable options between Anthony Rendon and the -0.5 WAR Jerkstore (in just 101 PA's).

There are reasonable options between Anthony Rendon and the -0.5 WAR Jerkstore (in just 101 PA's).

How many are better than his 2016-2018 self when he wasn't hurt? He put up 6.3 WAR according to fangraphs those years and was a positive grade as a defender at 3b. He put up more WAR at 27-29 than Moose did in roughly the same ABs.

How many guys match that and cost 2 mil? You just wanna be mad.

Honestly, I don't get how teams are this stupid. Guy lost a year due to injury and now you've written him off? Yet Moose, because he didn't lose a year to injury is worth 16/4? That's a huge difference based on what have you done for me lately.

How many are better than his 2016-2018 self when he wasn't hurt? He put up 6.3 WAR according to fangraphs those years and was a positive grade as a defender at 3b. He put up more WAR at 27-29 than Moose did in roughly the same ABs.

How many guys match that and cost 2 mil? You just wanna be mad.

Honestly, I don't get how teams are this stupid. Guy lost a year due to injury and now you've written him off? Yet Moose, because he didn't lose a year to injury is worth 16/4? That's a huge difference based on what have you done for me lately.

Archived