Brewer Fanatic

3rd Base Candidates

pacopete4
Man, Chapman could get me interested. What a fit he'd be and controlled. Keep in mind no one would've ever guess they'd trade Donaldson when they did either but they did it. Of course, they probably feel like that was a mistake and didn't get enough so it's fair to assume they'd need a haul. But, he's also the type of talent that we should feel comfortable giving up a ton for (ala Yelich).

See now this is the type of crazy I can get behind. Burnes Turang Lutz Feliciano and Supak? We close yet? That's a haul but that's opening a window and not giving up impact on the MLB squad. 4 years of control fits that 3 year window very well. Offensive force entering his prime. Defensively one of the best in the game at his position.

Yeah that's a guy you get silly about, as said (ala Yelich).

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't figure out why anyone would be that concerned with 3B defense with Narvaez catching, Braun at first and Hiura at second. Already has the look of being a big defensive train-wreck.

I would guess Narvaez starts around 90 games. Figure in all the games Pina likely finishes up as a devensive replacement & I wouldn't be surprised if their actual innings behind the dish come out close to even.

Smoak, who is perfectly cromulent afield, projects to play much more at first than does Braun.

Yeah, Hiura sucks at defense.

So about 50% of catcher innings, 20-25% of 1B innings & 85% of 2B innings look to be big defensive train wrecks.

Last year the Brewers finished 12th in MLB with +36 DRS & I'd imagine they will finish on the positive side of the ledger again in 2020.

I can't figure out why anyone would be that concerned with 3B defense with Narvaez catching, Braun at first and Hiura at second. Already has the look of being a big defensive train-wreck.

If you got 2 flat tires, would you just set your car on fire?

I mean LF Yelich CF Cain is 2 GGs and RF Garcia neutral. All have range.

1b and SS should be neutral. Smoak Urias and Arcia should be able to do the job. Braun obviously will drag that down when he's there.

C is going to be rocky and 2b is going to be bad.

I'd like 3b to be at least neutral and Sogard is a good start to that. I'd prefer to worry about 2.5 spots instead of 3.5.

Are we seriously going to get a Brett Anderson mention in every thread?

I'm starting it. BADS - Brett Anderson Derangement Syndrome.

BADS is the new Godwin's Law?

Given the cards kept usually close to the vest, I fully expect the acquisition to be a surprise.

In addition to what sveumrules says (great response, btw), this discounts the addition of Garcia who is at least average defensively whereas Braun was not; our OF defense should be solid to very good. Arcia was not great last year so there's a decent chance of improving at short as well.

In addition, 3B defense is likely to have a bigger impact than 1B, and I think a GM who completely discounts defense wouldn't have spent big bucks on Cain in the first place. The defense is not without holes, but it's not historically bad, either.

Just feels more and more like a Kyle Seager trade is going to happen, insofar as it would make me personally most excited while also making lots of "casuals" angry about Stearns paying so much for a guy who his .239 last year. The disparity between my opinion of a move and the opinion of Brewers Twitter is a key metric for predicting the odds of a move happening. :)

Just feels more and more like a Kyle Seager trade is going to happen, insofar as it would make me personally most excited while also making lots of "casuals" angry about Stearns paying so much for a guy who his .239 last year. The disparity between my opinion of a move and the opinion of Brewers Twitter is a key metric for predicting the odds of a move happening. :)

I'm not opposed to Seager.

I just want to see if I can get some good value in the deal - and I view value as something akin to:

Brewers get:

3B Kyle Seager

LHP Justus Sheffield

RHP Justin Dunn

Mariners get:

SS Orlando Arcia

OF Tristan Lutz

I'm not opposed to Seager.

I just want to see if I can get some good value in the deal - and I view value as something akin to:

Brewers get:

3B Kyle Seager

LHP Justus Sheffield

RHP Justin Dunn

Mariners get:

SS Orlando Arcia

OF Tristan Lutz

This would be a steal. Don't think Lutz has a ton of value at this point.

Clancy, it's obvious the trade machine thing gives Lutz a pretty high value (you're proposing him in a zillion trades over the past month or whatever), but in his case it's gotta be purely speculative value compared to proven big leaguers. If Lutz were a top-100 prospect, it might be a different discussion, but the key to this Seattle trade from a Seattle-gets standpoint is Lutz -- definitely NOT Arcia -- and to me Lutz is sure not worth a proven major league starting 3B by himself even if his contract's potentially a bit bloated.

I mean, yeah, it's Jerry DiPoto on the other end of the phone here, but I have serious doubts that even he would do this one.

Most here seem thoroughly convinced that another "big" move for the Brewers is coming..I just don't see it, at all. Because if they do, it would likely be via trade which likely means Hader, and in which case, it likely doesn't improve the major league club right now.

Many said they were cutting payroll...they have(substantially), so I think they are perfectly content going with a Healy/Sogard 3B combo. It just smells that way to me. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong...very wrong, but again, just don't see a big move coming anymore. They are essentially done with the roster save for maybe a couple more "tweaks" I think.

Most here seem thoroughly convinced that another "big" move for the Brewers is coming..I just don't see it, at all. Because if they do, it would likely be via trade which likely means Hader, and in which case, it likely doesn't improve the major league club right now.

Good lord, what is with people here. MKE doesn't need to trade Hader or Hiura to pull off a big move. Narvaez was a big move. He was had for a comp pick and Hill.

Burnes Peralta Turang Lutz Ashby Feliciano Rasmussen Small Kelly Ashby surely and individually have more value than what we gave up for Narvaez. What is with the defeatist attitudes around here where posters think the Brewers have to give away their superstars to make anything big happen. You buy into the east coast everything in the Yankee's system is gold garbage or something? You are resigned to believe MKE is nothing but a feeder team for the spending giants?

Brinson Diaz Harrison Yamamoto got the MVP. Brinson was concerning at that time and Diaz had fallen out of the top 100. Harrison was on a 1 year wonder.

Grisham on a 1 year wonder got 2017 and 2018 top 50 Urias.

You think the Brewers couldn't trade Turang Burnes Ashby and Feliciano for a heck of a player?

You don't deal Yelich, Hiura, Woodruff or Hader. You don't and you can add something pretty significant, some might even say BIG, to this team without dealing away the biggest impact players on the MLB team. Maybe you scorched earth the farm in the process but the goal is to add too the top assets. Not trade them away. This isn't a rebuild team.

If Donaldson ends up here (however unlikely), that would definitely be big. Otherwise I'm not sure what team has enough quality at 3B to create a viable opportunity for us to get starter who's worth what we'd have to give up to get.

While I'd love to see a "big" move coming, I'll be a little surprised if any moves that come prove to be truly "big." The FA well is dry of big names save Donaldson (who likely will get a risky & hugely spendy contract), a guy who doesn't have any defensive position he plays terribly well, and an OF we wouldn't have room for, and then some pitchers who are solid at best and definitely wouldn't constitute a "big" move (though Kintzler's out there and I'd kinda like to see him back here).

I'd think anything close to actually "big" would have to be a trade, and I'm not quite sure who the target(s) would be or what we'd have of enough value to give up in order to get someone who profiles as a big "get" without blowing a different hole in the roster.

Good lord, what is with people here. MKE doesn't need to trade Hader or Hiura to pull off a big move. Narvaez was a big move. He was had for a comp pick and Hill.

Burnes Peralta Turang Lutz Ashby Feliciano Rasmussen Small Kelly Ashby surely and individually have more value than what we gave up for Narvaez. What is with the defeatist attitudes around here where posters think the Brewers have to give away their superstars to make anything big happen. You buy into the east coast everything in the Yankee's system is gold garbage or something? You are resigned to believe MKE is nothing but a feeder team for the spending giants?

Brinson Diaz Harrison Yamamoto got the MVP. Brinson was concerning at that time and Diaz had fallen out of the top 100. Harrison was on a 1 year wonder.

Grisham on a 1 year wonder got 2017 and 2018 top 50 Urias.

You don't deal Yelich, Hiura, Woodruff or Hader. You don't and you can add something pretty significant, some might even say BIG, to this team without dealing away the biggest impact players on the MLB team. Maybe you scorched earth the farm in the process but the goal is to add too the top assets. Not trade them away. This isn't a rebuild team.

I guess it depends on what your definition of big move is but I would say Narvaez was definitely not a “big” move. He’s a great offensive catcher but he is absolutely atrocious defensively. Which is why Seattle was willing to give him up for not even a top 100 prospect even though he has three more years of control.

And I think in order to get a young significant impact bat a Hader trade is your best option. And I think Stearns knows that even though Hader is amazing, he’s a reliever, and they can be volatile. And if you can get a young cost controlled impact middle of the order bat for him, you take it.

I guess it depends on what your definition of big move is but I would say Narvaez was definitely not a “big” move. He’s a great offensive catcher but he is absolutely atrocious defensively. Which is why Seattle was willing to give him up for not even a top 100 prospect even though he has three more years of control.

And I think in order to get a young significant impact bat a Hader trade is your best option. And I think Stearns knows that even though Hader is amazing, he’s a reliever, and they can be volatile. And if you can get a young cost controlled impact middle of the order bat for him, you take it.

Not even a top 100 player? They barely got a top 100 pick and Hill's an older lottery ticket. That's likely not even equal to a top 300 player. He is 30 points of OBP shy of replacing Grandal's offense and costs 15 million less this year. Will cost about 13 and 11 less the next 2 years. I'm not sure anyone can justify that difference. 30 points of OBP and pitch framing being worth 39 million over the next 3 years?

I guess I don't understand what big is because that was a huge get. Unless the bar for big has been set at Yelich, then big = nearly impossible.

I'm sorry but Hader is not the trade chip. I've been around here for years and constantly people are whining about wanting elite arms and crying about never home growing anything out of the farm. Now that we have one of the most dominant arms in baseball, people are ready to sign him over because of a host of excuses. They want 30 million thrown at a starter but grumble about Hader's arby. It makes no sense. Hader is 25. His numbers have been sensational every year. His BB/9 went down. His K/9 went up. Yeah HRs went up for him, like everyone else. He's been solid as a rock yearly. The RPs who are volatile are the average ones. He's not one of those. This talk has been bonkers and I feel like I'm one of the few who remembers Hader in games that weren't the playoff loss to Washington.

There's a reason why people think they can get a ton for him. It's because he's worth it and MKE won't be able to replace the massive hole that will leave in the pen. A place where this team has stolen wins for the past 2 years.

I'd be happy enough with acquiring Jed Lowrie if his health checks out. Play the hot bat between him and Healy and Sogard. He should be extremely cheap to acquire and yet he won't be a long term (or even a mid-term) liability. Has a high upside, and should be versatile enough to be valuable even if he doesn't hit like he can.

The only way to do significantly better than Lowrie would be to trade Hader, which I'd be fine with assuming the return is more than cromulent.

Not even a top 100 player? They barely got a top 100 pick and Hill's an older lottery ticket. That's likely not even equal to a top 300 player. He is 30 points of OBP shy of replacing Grandal's offense and costs 15 million less this year. Will cost about 13 and 11 less the next 2 years. I'm not sure anyone can justify that difference. 30 points of OBP and pitch framing being worth 39 million over the next 3 years?

I guess I don't understand what big is because that was a huge get. Unless the bar for big has been set at Yelich, then big = nearly impossible.

I'm sorry but Hader is not the trade chip. I've been around here for years and constantly people are whining about wanting elite arms and crying about never home growing anything out of the farm. Now that we have one of the most dominant arms in baseball, people are ready to sign him over because of a host of excuses. They want 30 million thrown at a starter but grumble about Hader's arby. It makes no sense. Hader is 25. His numbers have been sensational every year. His BB/9 went down. His K/9 went up. Yeah HRs went up for him, like everyone else. He's been solid as a rock yearly. The RPs who are volatile are the average ones. He's not one of those. This talk has been bonkers and I feel like I'm one of the few who remembers Hader in games that weren't the playoff loss to Washington.

There's a reason why people think they can get a ton for him. It's because he's worth it and MKE won't be able to replace the massive hole that will leave in the pen. A place where this team has stolen wins for the past 2 years.

I'm not in favor of trading Hader...at all...unless it's for a MASSIVE MASSIVE haul. That's why I say, I don't think another big move is coming. They could make another big move, if all they wanted to do is spend some money, without trading a single thing. No offense whatsoever but to me Narvaez isn't a big move. It was a good move for sure, but not big. Big to me would be acquiring a middle of the order bat. Like a Donaldson or a Castellanos. Neither of those things appear like they are going to happen. That's why I say I don't think anything big is coming yet. "Big" is out there right now and they don't seem inclined to go that direction.

I personally have no problems with trading the farm to bring in something big to contend right now and the next couple years as well, but I just don't see Stearns doing that. I personally believe as I said, that what we see now, is what they will be going to spring training with(with another small tweak or two possibly). It's unfortunate, I would love to see a big surprise yet, but my gut is telling me that isn't going to happen. 100% hope I'm very wrong.

I'm not in favor of trading Hader...at all...unless it's for a MASSIVE MASSIVE haul. That's why I say, I don't think another big move is coming. They could make another big move, if all they wanted to do is spend some money, without trading a single thing. No offense whatsoever but to me Narvaez isn't a big move. It was a good move for sure, but not big. Big to me would be acquiring a middle of the order bat. Like a Donaldson or a Castellanos. Neither of those things appear like they are going to happen. That's why I say I don't think anything big is coming yet. "Big" is out there right now and they don't seem inclined to go that direction.

This is an interesting take. Castellanos had a 2.7 war and will command $15+ million at a position easier to find good offensive production. Narvaez had 2.1 war at a position not full of talented offensive members for less than $3 mil this year.

Yes, different positions. Yes, war isn’t everything. But to say Narvaez isn’t close to as “big” of a move as castenllos would be a bit off in my opinion. Castellanos gets the name recognition due to being on the cubs, but no one was calling for him prior. Personally hope we never touch Castellanos. I think Narvaez could make a big jump and out produce him for a fraction of the price.

Big for me would be getting a Matt Chapman! That I would get excited about.

I'd be happy enough with acquiring Jed Lowrie if his health checks out. Play the hot bat between him and Healy and Sogard. He should be extremely cheap to acquire and yet he won't be a long term (or even a mid-term) liability. Has a high upside, and should be versatile enough to be valuable even if he doesn't hit like he can.

The only way to do significantly better than Lowrie would be to trade Hader, which I'd be fine with assuming the return is more than cromulent.

I've kind of been thinking this too. It's only a one year low risk commitment. If they just give him over to clear the money I'd just take that and call it a day. He's only a year removed from being very good. Remember last offseason when so many of us wanted him. Sure, he was hurt all last year but that's why he's available to begin with. At least there is some legit upside here and next to no risk.

I'm just biding time for Donaldson to sign somewhere, anywhere, so the 3B trade market can take off...I expect a flurry of moves across MLB once that happens, because there are some huge market clubs that will look to upgrade at 3B and/or SS if they don't land Donaldson.

The Brewers will bring someone else in to be their primary 3b option.

I'm just biding time for Donaldson to sign somewhere, anywhere, so the 3B trade market can take off...I expect a flurry of moves across MLB once that happens, because there are some huge market clubs that will look to upgrade at 3B and/or SS if they don't land Donaldson.

Don't forget the resolution of Kris Bryant's grievance with the Cubs, he could still be traded but no team is going to do so until they know if he has one year of control left after 2020 or two.

We will probably add someone but don't expect it to be an impact guy. Just remember we were in the less than exciting Starlin Castro sweepstakes so that should tell you what level of guy we are involved with. The best case scenario is probably Todd Frazier with the other option of just going with the garbage we have in house at the position.

No way this team is ever signing Donaldson or trading for Arenado so be prepared to be underwhelmed. Overall this has been a less than exciting offseason and I just don't see that changing.

Hader is arguably the best reliever in baseball, and 99% of the time, he shuts down opposing batters in a very dominant fashion. That said, from 2017-2019, he was cheap. He ended up "super 2" - a real shock that ups his pay for 2020, but he is still a bargain. I do remember his dominance aside from that game.

Do I rule out dealing him for the right return? No. That return would have been McNeil and Davis from the Mets, solidifying the corner IF positions for the Brewers for five years. If nothing like that was coming... fine, I keep Hader. But to get major talent in return - or to fill multiple question marks... yeah,. I'd deal Hader. The Crew has Rasmussen, Andrews, Olczak, Barker, and QTC on the farm; Suter and Peralta are in the majors. Knebel is coming back from Tommy John.

Judging by what has gone down so far, Todd Frazier or Jed Lowrie might be the best we can expect (yuk), unless a serious trade goes down.

I know a lot of people are high on what we've done so far, but I just don't see the team, as it sits today, being better than last year's squad.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived