Brewer Fanatic

3rd Base Candidates

pacopete4
What does everyone think of Eduardo Escobar? Posted a 3.7 fWAR for AZ last year and has two contract years remaining for $14.5 million total. Switch hitter and hits for some pop. He'd be my ideal target for third base, but I'm not sure Arizona wants to trade him and his affordable contract.

Brewers get:

3B/SS Eduardo Escobar

LHP Robbie Ray

Diamondbacks get:

SS Brice Turang

OF Tristan Lutz

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-20791/

You would have to add a much bigger name/s to the Diamondbacks haul for them to even think about a trade. The D'Backs wouldn't trade Escobar for Lutz&Turang, much less throw in Ray. The trade value sight is way, way off on a lot of potential trades.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What does everyone think of Eduardo Escobar? Posted a 3.7 fWAR for AZ last year and has two contract years remaining for $14.5 million total. Switch hitter and hits for some pop. He'd be my ideal target for third base, but I'm not sure Arizona wants to trade him and his affordable contract.

Brewers get:

3B/SS Eduardo Escobar

LHP Robbie Ray

Diamondbacks get:

SS Brice Turang

OF Tristan Lutz

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-20791/

There’s no way that’s the trade in reality.

With the DBacks signing Madison Bumgarner and the Brewers signing Brett Anderson, the DBacks are showing more of an indication that they plan to contend in 2020 then the Brewers have.

With that said, the proposed trade is so far from reality to make any sense for the DBacks even if that wasn't the case.

Not sure if Turang/Lutz would land either of those players from DBacks, let alone both.

More realistic prosposal IF the Dbacks fall out of contention:

Brewers get:

LHP Robbie Ray

3B/1B Jake Lamb

DBacks get:

SS Brice Turang

OF Tristen Lutz

RHP Trey Supak

3B Lucas Erceg

With the DBacks signing Madison Bumgarner and the Brewers signing Brett Anderson, the DBacks are showing more of an indication that they plan to contend in 2020 then the Brewers have.

With that said, the proposed trade is so far from reality to make any sense for the DBacks even if that wasn't the case.

Not sure if Turang/Lutz would land either of those players from DBacks, let alone both.

More realistic prosposal IF the Dbacks fall out of contention:

Brewers get:

LHP Robbie Ray

3B/1B Jake Lamb

DBacks get:

SS Brice Turang

OF Tristen Lutz

RHP Trey Supak

3B Lucas Erceg

I'm not high on the Brewers' prospects listed other than maybe Turang.

That said, Lamb is toast after some injuries and if your suggestion is that this happens at the deadline with Ray, he would need to be pitching at a Cy Young level to cost that much for 2 months of his services.

I think the Trade Value site over-estimates Lutz value by about 5 - 7 million dollars. It seems they base all of his value on the Fangraphs evaluation and the Fangraphs assessment seems to be heavily based on exit velocity in pre-draft workouts and a big throwing arm. More recent Fangraphs reports state that Lutz bat control isn't very good and he doesn't display much speed in the outfield which really limits his defensive potential. I'm guessing he is downgraded in the next Fangraphs evaluation, and when that happens his ranking tumbles around the web. Of course, what really matters is front office opinions. My best guess is that teams still see upside, but his MiLB stats don't give the impression that he's going to be a true masher and that's what teams were hoping for with the pre-draft workout exit velocities. My guess is that most MLB front offices look at him as more of a back-end top 300 prospect. I'd probably put his surplus value in the range of 7.5 - 9.5 million.

I had written off Hunter Dozier as a 3B trade target earlier in the off-season due to the perception of him possessing below average defensive capabilities. He played 100 games at 3B for the Royals last season, but will likely shift to the corner outfield now that they signed Maikel Franco to play 3B.

Then today Statcast releases their new defensive metric, Outs Above Average, and it lists Hunter Dozier as a completely average defensive 3B (an OAA rating of 0).

If Dozier is indeed capable of playing a competent defensive 3B as well as occasionally filling in at the corner outfield spots then he would be an excellent trade target for the Brewers, in my opinion.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

That seems like a good option to me. He'd also be cheap and cost controlled for years. I had him in fantasy last year so I was aware of him. You'll probably have to give up something legit for him though but shouldn't be ridiculous or anything. I do grant he probably seems like a regression candidate and 280/350 with 25+ HRs might not be realistic expectations(also why I'll probably pass on him as a keeper). Well, the with miller park the power will probably be there regardless but even a normal dip in the percents and he's still a good player and better than we have now, and controllable.

Are we seriously going to get a Brett Anderson mention in every thread?

Would you prefer I send you my address so we can settle this? lol (inside joke from another thread BTW)

OK - so if it is looking more and more likely that we'd have to pick up a 3B in a trade now as opposed to the F/A market - who are the top trade candidates at this stage?

Bryant - never happening

Arenado - intriguing, but probably highly unlikely that we'd have the prospect capital or the $$ to make this happen

Justin Turner - this only becomes a possibility if the Dodgers end up getting Donaldson or make a trade for someone like Bryant

K. Seager - not sure if I'm that in love with him as a target, but I'm wondering if this might be our most realistic trade option

Lowrie - sounds like he's on the market, and coming off of an injury riddled year

Brian Anderson - guessing it would take quite a bit for Marlins to give up on him this soon, especially after we fleeced them in Yeli deal

Dozier - saw his name mentioned above, so including him here

Chapman - can't even imagine the haul that the A's would demand to part ways with him this soon, so doubt he's a realistic option

Who else would you add to this list? Seems like there are a few more teams that are going to try to compete this year than the past few, so not a ton of trading partner options out there.

Man, Chapman could get me interested. What a fit he'd be and controlled. Keep in mind no one would've ever guess they'd trade Donaldson when they did either but they did it. Of course, they probably feel like that was a mistake and didn't get enough so it's fair to assume they'd need a haul. But, he's also the type of talent that we should feel comfortable giving up a ton for (ala Yelich).

I still believe that the Brewers opening day 3rd baseman will be Eric Sogard. Truly believe they are done making moves, at least as far as anything big goes.

From the horse's mouth:

Adam McCalvy @AdamMcCalvy · 3h

David Stearns on the potential for more acquisitions by the Brewers: "I would be surprised if we are completely done."

Adam McCalvy@AdamMcCalvy ·3h

Does Craig Counsell expect more moves this winter from David Stearns? "Yes."

Then he added, "I always expect that. Yeah. Every day of the year. As long as there are players out there, we'll be pursuing them."

Although I have a feeling that your definition of "big" may be different than mine ;)

Man, Chapman could get me interested. What a fit he'd be and controlled. Keep in mind no one would've ever guess they'd trade Donaldson when they did either but they did it. Of course, they probably feel like that was a mistake and didn't get enough so it's fair to assume they'd need a haul. But, he's also the type of talent that we should feel comfortable giving up a ton for (ala Yelich).

Agreed! Just not sure we'd even have the assets to get their attention. I almost feel like Keston would have to be in any type of package going back, and then it hardly seems worth it (although Chapman's glove would certainly be an upgrade). I don't know, but would a package like this get them to even consider it:

Luis Urias

Freddy Peralta

Bryce Turang

Mario Felicano

Then, we'd still have Sogard/Arcia to play SS this year, and we get to hold onto Keston. Again though - I doubt that this package is even enough to get the A's to listen on Chapman. Unfortunately, we just don't have the prospect assets that we had a couple of years ago when we landed Yelich. And let's face it - Chapman is probably worth more now than Yelich even was back then. For that reason - I severely doubt this would ever be realistic. And, if the A's did make him available, why wouldn't they reach out to a team like the Braves (if they lose out on Donaldson), and get a big haul of prospects from a team that actually has big-time prospects in their system?

Yea, I agree on it being a long shot. And no I wouldn't include Keston. I'd think you'd have to start with Turang of course, I'd say he'd also be good enough to include any SP prospects (that we normally tend to hoard). Like you said though, it sure seems someone could trump us easily as we don't exactly have a ton to offer. Generally I want to keep Burnes and go for a rebound on him, but someone as good Chapman anything is on the table. Plus, there's a good chance they don't value him after such a disastrous year.

I had written off Hunter Dozier as a 3B trade target earlier in the off-season due to the perception of him possessing below average defensive capabilities. He played 100 games at 3B for the Royals last season, but will likely shift to the corner outfield now that they signed Maikel Franco to play 3B.

Then today Statcast releases their new defensive metric, Outs Above Average, and it lists Hunter Dozier as a completely average defensive 3B (an OAA rating of 0).

If Dozier is indeed capable of playing a competent defensive 3B as well as occasionally filling in at the corner outfield spots then he would be an excellent trade target for the Brewers, in my opinion.

Of the 38 thirdbasemen listed, 26 were better than Dozier in QAA. No matter what his glove is well below the average 3B. How much is debatable. I would be worried with him at 3B, Hiura at 2B, and Braun at 1B.

Now there are rumors of the Cubs and Cardinals looking to trade for Arenado. This would really stink if either happened. I’d love for the Brewers to somehow acquire him (the most likely scenario would be a three team trade involving Hader), but I know the likelihood of that is about as slim as can be. It’s tough being a fan of a small market team.

Now there are rumors of the Cubs and Cardinals looking to trade for Arenado. This would really stink if either happened. I’d love for the Brewers to somehow acquire him (the most likely scenario would be a three team trade involving Hader), but I know the likelihood of that is about as slim as can be. It’s tough being a fan of a small market team.

This would make me mad to no end. It is crappy that the Cardinals have a chance to acquire two elite pieces two years in a row via trade. And the Cubs are crying poor. How are they going to take on that contract?

This would make me mad to no end. It is crappy that the Cardinals have a chance to acquire two elite pieces two years in a row via trade. And the Cubs are crying poor. How are they going to take on that contract?

The Cubs angle on it, from what I read from some of their blogs is incredibly unrealistic. It involves trading Bryant (probably to the Nats for Kieboom and some pitching prospects), trading Contreras, Heyward and prospects for Arenado (Rockies save like $160 million still) and then also trading at least 1 if not both of Chatwood and Quintana to net out the money. I don’t even know if that makes the Cubs better. Other than they get long term certainty with a star player at 3B where they only have that for 2 years with Bryant. That just all takes so much to come together I don’t see it.

Of the 38 thirdbasemen listed, 26 were better than Dozier in QAA. No matter what his glove is well below the average 3B. How much is debatable. I would be worried with him at 3B, Hiura at 2B, and Braun at 1B.

I can't figure out why anyone would be that concerned with 3B defense with Narvaez catching, Braun at first and Hiura at second. Already has the look of being a big defensive train-wreck.

The Cubs angle on it, from what I read from some of their blogs is incredibly unrealistic. It involves trading Bryant (probably to the Nats for Kieboom and some pitching prospects), trading Contreras, Heyward and prospects for Arenado (Rockies save like $160 million still) and then also trading at least 1 if not both of Chatwood and Quintana to net out the money. I don’t even know if that makes the Cubs better. Other than they get long term certainty with a star player at 3B where they only have that for 2 years with Bryant. That just all takes so much to come together I don’t see it.

No way that all happens, and even if it does they wind up being a decidedly worse team with even more roster holes than before. I'd actually cross my fingers this sequence does happen, because Arenado cant pitch and doesnt he still have an opt out in a couple years if he wants to take it?

The cards is a much more realistic scenario, unfortunately - they have some good pieces to trade and can take on that salary right now.

Archived