Brewer Fanatic

3rd Base Candidates

pacopete4
  • Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we get to February & none of the other more prominent power-hitting options be available, I like LaStella from the Angels as an option for 3B

Why would the Angels trade their leadoff hitter when they're hoping to contend?

I was trying to figure out the same thing. He would be great but I think Frazier is the most realistic option at this point.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If we get to February & none of the other more prominent power-hitting options be available, I like LaStella from the Angels as an option for 3B

Why would the Angels trade their leadoff hitter when they're hoping to contend?

I was trying to figure out the same thing. He would be great but I think Frazier is the most realistic option at this point.

The Angels could elect to have David Fletcher play 2B now that Rendon is at 3B. Fletcher came up as a middle IF, but has played 2B, 3B, SS and LF. He hit .290 with a .350 OBP last year, and has five years of control left. He is considered a good defensive player. La Stella is a FA after next season, and if the offer is right, they could, conceivably move him (or Fletcher).

However, with the defensive flexibility of Fletcher and La Stella, the Angels probably won't move either. Both should get plenty of ABs.

No matter, it can't hurt to check in on either of them.

I keep coming back to Kyle Seager - I think the Mariners are hoping a trade market develops for him after Donaldson signs somewhere...if he's healthy he would be a great fit playing in Milwaukee and hitting in the 5-6 slot of a lineup. Him opting to waive that automatic player option 3rd year of his contract if he's dealt to a contender makes him even more enticing if he's actually serious about it.

I'm also keeping an eye out on where Lindor winds up if he's traded - if the Dodgers bring him in they are going to probably look to trade Cory Seager or Justin Turner.

These dominos are going to take time to become available, but any of those three names would be significant upgrades at 3B for the Brewers. It's too early to tell what the pricetag would be with some of these guys, particularly if the Brewers are willing to take on a good chunk of Turner's or Kyle Seager's remaining salary. Cory Seager would probably cost the most in terms of prospect value and probably have the largest # of teams vying to trade for him.

Another factor slowing the 3B trade market down is what the Cubs are going to do with Bryant pending results of that grievance that is taking FOREVER to be resolved. I struggle to understand why the Cubs are looking to trade him regardless of the grievance outcome - that market crying poor due to their own luxury tax problems for signing guys like Heyward and Lester to these massive deals is hilarious. Unless there is truly bad blood with Bryant for the Cubs holding him back in the minors when they were terrible, I don't see how he leaves. Specific to the Cubs, is it me or have they had just a trainwreck of an offseason so far? They seem to be completely handcuffed in what they can do in terms of adding players via FA due to self-imposed payroll constraints, and that farm system doesn't have any immediate answers filling some gaping holes.

For now, the Brewers have in-house options to cover 3B, but Stearns will bring someone better in...it's more than likely a matter of being patient and waiting for better options to become available as this offseason progresses. That may actually trickle into next season at the trade deadline for some of the options I listed above (sans Bryant - no way he'd be dealt to the Brewers if he is traded).

I like Seager too, but he won't waive that third year. He has absolutely no incentive to give up a whopping $15M just to be with a contender. Plus, if the M's don't kick-in some $$, I don't see interest by Stearns. A Lindor trade to the Dodgers would free up Turner, but he would be a $20M, one year rental. Not going to happen. IF the Braves re-sign Donaldson, Camargo could be available. Because of his down year last year, he might be a reasonable trade candidate. LaStella is also interesting, but again a one year rental.

Looking for a comeback year from Matt Duffy might be an outside option. Bock Holt doesn't have much power, but he is a great OBP guy especially against RHP. Possibly a good 2nd hitter getting on base before Yelich. Maybe do a combo of Cabrera/Holt or Holt/Frazier. Cost would be around $10-11M. Bench could be Smoak, Sogard, Frazier/Cabrera, Gamel, Pina.

I wouldn't rule out out Turner just because he's owed ~$20M for 1 year (is it actually $19M without the signing bonus?). DS basically did the same thing with Grandal last year on a 1 year, $18.5M deal. He would be a great bat that hits both lefties and righties well to throw into the 3/4 hole in the lineup (128 wRC+ vs RHP and 142 wRC+ vs LHP last year, which is comparable to Donaldson's 135/123 splits and dwarfs Moose's 109/122 splits). Of course the big difference is that DS would have to give something up in addition to paying the money, but I could see him as a guy MA's willing to give the "special player" exception to and stretch the budget a bit.

I wouldn't rule out out Turner just because he's owed ~$20M for 1 year (is it actually $19M without the signing bonus?). DS basically did the same thing with Grandal last year on a 1 year, $18.5M deal. He would be a great bat that hits both lefties and righties well to throw into the 3/4 hole in the lineup (128 wRC+ vs RHP and 142 wRC+ vs LHP last year, which is comparable to Donaldson's 135/123 splits and dwarfs Moose's 109/122 splits). Of course the big difference is that DS would have to give something up in addition to paying the money, but I could see him as a guy MA's willing to give the "special player" exception to and stretch the budget a bit.

Gave up a pick to sign Grandal so it's not far fetched.

Gave up a pick to sign Grandal so it's not far fetched.

I never thought they weren’t all in so it is possible even though it would be 2 straight offseason giving up a high pick and compensation pick. For a system that is low on top prospects that is a high price to pay. I won’t rip them if they do it but I think there are other ways to do it without giving up that much

Turner is a good example of where we could get him for cheap by just picking up his contract. All this assumes LA wants to get rid of salary and view Turner as expendable.

I'm also going to again mention Chris Taylor. He hasn't played a lot of 3B, but I'm guessing he'd be fine. He would add a lot of versatility to the team. Sogard, Taylor, Urias, Hiura would be a decent collection of infielders. Not a lot of power, but potentially pretty solid. Arcia is there too - even if just for defensive purposes.

Taylor may be the odd man out in LA unless they move Turner or Peterson or whomever.

Oh man. Mlbtr now has a Nolan Arenado trade at 50/50 among 6teams but only mentioned Texas Rangers atop that fits.

This goes with Kris Bryant still still still waiting for a decision on his case.

It's going to be awhile for 3b market to play out.

That makes no sense the Braves matchup far better with the Rockies than the Rangers do.

How about trading for Daniel Murphy from the Rockies?

Some experience at third with the Mets and Nationals, has also played first and second, offering versatility. Not a bad bat, either.

Only $8 million for 2020, and a $6 million buyout for 2021 on a mutual option.

Probably comes cheap (say Bubba Derby or Ray Black).

How about trading for Daniel Murphy from the Rockies?

Some experience at third with the Mets and Nationals, has also played first and second, offering versatility. Not a bad bat, either.

Only $8 million for 2020, and a $6 million buyout for 2021 on a mutual option.

Probably comes cheap (say Bubba Derby or Ray Black).

Murphy is a good stick, but his arm isn't the greatest anymore. He's more of a 1B now days. He hasn't played 3B since 2015. I guess they would have to determine how well he could make the long throw. His bat sure would be welcomed though. He might be worth a look if they could get him that cheap.

I would be interested in Jed Lowrie. The Mets are looking to dump him.

I realize his 2019 was a washout due to injury but in 2017 and 2018 he put up 4+ WAR seasons. I think he's the most reasonable way to get 4 WAR player into the lineup at third. If he continues to get injured you still have Eric Sogard as a backup plan.

Of course this all depends on him having a clean bill of health heading into 2020.

As depleted as the Brewers farm system is I'm not interested in trading prospects for a 3B. Lowrie could be had for basically nothing other than salary.

I think we are going far beyond what is needed in these talks about 3b.

C is downgraded from Grandal to Narvaez. Offensively though the team loses 30 points of OBP. Otherwise they are very similar.

1b Thames 247/346/851 and Aguilar 225/320/694 vs Braun 285/343/849 and Smoak 202/347/783(RHP) isn't that a small upgrade?

2b Hiura is better than Moose

SS Urias has to be better than Arica if not its the same.

LF Yelich same

CF Cain hopefully better

RF Garcia 10 obp and 40 slugging points behind Braun but many are hoping the power picks up in MKE.

Let's not talk about the 392 AB from Perez Saladino and Spangs

So 3b has to basically replace Hiura's half year and Shaw.

Hiura hit .303 but add Shaw's numbers and its .240

OBP is roughly 330

Slugging about 440

OPS around 770

Offense is pretty close to last year if we can replace 240/330/770 at 3b. 1b better SS better Cain you'd hope is better. Upside from Garcia and not a ton of loss between Narvaez and Grandal with the bat. Fair?

Ok

Gyorko was bad in 2019. No doubt. (also I'm not advocating for Gyorko but using him to point out how easily this is accomplished)

Career 267/341/796 vs LHP

Sogard in 2017 and 2019 which we have to hope are the new norm.

Roughly 280/370/790 vs RHP

You could assume you can platoon that into 260/340/780 which is better than 240/330/770 that we got from Hiura and Shaw last year.

I get the urge to make the offense the best it possibly can be, but do you really think 3b is that massive of a need? Look at the numbers of the situation.

Hiura replaces Moose and then some.

3b replaces Hiura/Shaw pretty easy.

The offense loses OBP at C and gains it at 1b and hopefully CF. Garcia has his work cut out for him to match Braun but Urias at SS could take the edge off that.

And those pesky 392 AB from SpangPerezadino haven't even been mentioned.

I don't think we NEED a big addition at 3b. I think a lot of people are overstating that because they WANT a big addition at 3b.

Here's an out of the box idea....Russell Branyan. Yeah, that's right.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If the Brewers trade Hader to get prospects and then trade for Arenado, I’m buying season tickets

If the Brewers trade Hader to get prospects and then trade for Arenado, I'll wonder why they didn't just push for Rendon and keep Hader.

If the Brewers trade Hader to get prospects and then trade for Arenado, I’m buying season tickets

If the Brewers trade Hader to get prospects and then trade for Arenado, I'll wonder why they didn't just push for Rendon and keep Hader.

If the Brewers trade Hader to get prospects and then trade for Arenado, I would hope that they did push for Rendon and he didn't want to come.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Archived