Brewer Fanatic

3rd Base Candidates

pacopete4

Free Agents:

-Josh Donaldson: Last reported that the Nats are offering 4years at $100M. Doubtful he's a candidate.

-Todd Fraiser: About as league average as you get but might not break the bank either.

-Asdrúbal Cabrera: Not ideal but could be a stopgap until a better option is found.

Trade Candidates:

-Jose Ramirez (Indians): Would be the best fit for a trade due to our current window and he is entering his prime years.

-Josh Turner (Dodgers): Depending on who the Dodgers sign, he could be a target. Owed $20M in 2020.

-Matt Chapman (Athletics): Doubtful we have the prospects to make this happen.

-Kyle Seager (Mariners): I think the Mariners would have to chip in a bit here to make this a reality.

-Eduardo Escobar (Dbacks): Signing MadBum probably means they wouldn't move a guy like this but he's a solid bat.

-Nolan Arenado (Rockies): Another one where I don't think we have the pieces to move to make this a reality.

Anyone else I am missing that could be a fit?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-I like Andujar as a split between 1B/3B. And he’s sort of been supplanted by urshela in NY.

-There’s also room to take jed Lowried salary (and maybe get Dom Smith with him).

- My preference is Josh Donaldson, big a creative and productive platoon at 3B might be Brock Holt and Wilmer Flores.

-Pit wouldn’t likely want much for Colin Moran because he’s mediocre and they have their high ranked prospect Hayes almost ready. But he’s be cheap

Part of me wonders whether dealing Hader to the Mets for Jeff McNeil, Dominic Smith and a prospect might be on the table? McNeil could be easily plugged in at 3B, and his lefty bat would have good power potential in Miller Park. Dom Smith is more of a question mark, obviously. But those two in the lineup would make things look pretty potent from top to bottom.

I wonder what it would take to get Ramirez from Cleveland and how’s his defense at 3B? He’s definitely intriguing.

Am I off base in saying that any deal for Ramirez would probably have to start with Hiura+? And, I'm sure that would be a deal breaker for Stearns. Ramirez is controlled for 4 more years at a relatively cheap price (for a guy of his ability). Not sure if the Indians would have much motivation to move him at this point.

If Hiura was off the table, I'm guessing we'd have to package Urias, Small and Feliciano. And honestly, I'm not even convinced that would be nearly enough to get Ramirez. Unfortunately, our farm system is just so bad right now that it makes it nearly impossible to put together trade offers for guys of this stature.

Free Agents:

-Josh Donaldson: Last reported that the Nats are offering 4years at $100M. Doubtful he's a candidate.

-Todd Fraiser: About as league average as you get but might not break the bank either.

-Asdrúbal Cabrera: Not ideal but could be a stopgap until a better option is found.

Trade Candidates:

-Jose Ramirez (Indians): Would be the best fit for a trade due to our current window and he is entering his prime years.

-Josh Turner (Dodgers): Depending on who the Dodgers sign, he could be a target. Owed $20M in 2020.

-Matt Chapman (Athletics): Doubtful we have the prospects to make this happen.

-Kyle Seager (Mariners): I think the Mariners would have to chip in a bit here to make this a reality.

-Eduardo Escobar (Dbacks): Signing MadBum probably means they wouldn't move a guy like this but he's a solid bat.

-Nolan Arenado (Rockies): Another one where I don't think we have the pieces to move to make this a reality.

Anyone else I am missing that could be a fit?

Two slightly out-of-the-box possibilities:

Jeff McNeil (Mets) - Mostly played 2B, but has seen some significant action at 3B. Could have a Yelich-like jump playing half the time in Miller Park.

Cesar Hernandez (FA) - Again, mostly, a 2B, but he is fast,and has OBP skills. Probably better as a bench signing, but I'd take him.

Part of me wonders whether dealing Hader to the Mets for Jeff McNeil, Dominic Smith and a prospect might be on the table? McNeil could be easily plugged in at 3B, and his lefty bat would have good power potential in Miller Park. Dom Smith is more of a question mark, obviously. But those two in the lineup would make things look pretty potent from top to bottom.

I've been all for McNeil as the centerpiece of a Hader deal for a while. Smith may be that platoon guy the Crew needs for Braun at 1B, or who could take over in left when Cain needs a day off (Yelich in CF), Yelich needs some rest (Braun in LF, Smith at 1B), or even when Garcia is banged up a little (Yelich inn RF, Braun in LF).

Two prospects I like are Brett Baty, a third baseman, and Kevin Smith, a left-handed starting pitcher.

That trade would make sense, as much as losing Hader would hurt. They’d have to move on a good reliever or 2, like Betances and Cishek

, but that lineup would be solid

I wonder what it would take to get Ramirez from Cleveland and how’s his defense at 3B? He’s definitely intriguing.

Am I off base in saying that any deal for Ramirez would probably have to start with Hiura+? And, I'm sure that would be a deal breaker for Stearns. Ramirez is controlled for 4 more years at a relatively cheap price (for a guy of his ability). Not sure if the Indians would have much motivation to move him at this point.

If Hiura was off the table, I'm guessing we'd have to package Urias, Small and Feliciano. And honestly, I'm not even convinced that would be nearly enough to get Ramirez. Unfortunately, our farm system is just so bad right now that it makes it nearly impossible to put together trade offers for guys of this stature.

I think the only way you get Ramirez is if you bring in a third team to offer prospects to Indians and that third team gets Hader, we get Ramirez. Would be awesome.

Ok Statcast from baseball Savant is where its at.

Looking at it Id trade Hader for JDDavis straight up. Hes at Yelich level batting profile.

Josh Donaldson had his best exit velocity last year near 93MPH!

Jose Ramirez for Hiura would be terrible. Hiura has a better Bat profile with only needing to reduce the k%. If Ramirez had the K% of Hiura were staring at Arcia level bat profile.

That is it. If you want All Star level. Nobody offers above average statcast profile. JD Davis for your fantasy teams folks if you miss out on Donaldson.

Like Seriously Hiura had a better bat profile than Vlad Jr last year. It's all about K% that keeps his numbers from top 10 in all of baseball. JD Davis for Hader straight up and have an elite bat for what? 5 seasons? Both Davis and Hiura had better exit velo than Trout last season but basically that is Trout level all of the last 5 seasons. Trout is #1 or 2 the last 5 years on the Barrel %.

Looking at it Id trade Hader for JDDavis straight up. Hes at Yelich level batting profile.

Jose Ramirez for Hiura would be terrible. Hiura has a better Bat profile with only needing to reduce the k%. If Ramirez had the K% of Hiura were staring at Arcia level bat profile.

That is it. If you want All Star level. Nobody offers above average statcast profile. JD Davis for your fantasy teams folks if you miss out on Donaldson.

Like Seriously Hiura had a better bat profile than Vlad Jr last year. It's all about K% that keeps his numbers from top 10 in all of baseball. JD Davis for Hader straight up and have an elite bat for what? 5 seasons? Both Davis and Hiura had better exit velo than Trout last season but basically that is Trout level all of the last 5 seasons. Trout is #1 or 2 the last 5 years on the Barrel %.

JD Davis also cannot play defense. No way am I trading Hader for Davis alone. Not a chance.

JD Davis also cannot play defense. No way am I trading Hader for Davis alone. Not a chance.

Yeah, this is just not an option, especially with Braun at 1B a lot in 2020.

McNeil, Kevin Smith, and Brett Baty for Hader.

So 1b beyond 2020 is not possible? He's logged time at 1b. His bat will play top notch for 1b. Youre passing on a guy that has the makings of a .900+OPS for 5seasons because defensively he would be a problem for 2020. The thing of it is based on his defense, we should get more for Hader. If the future plan would be Davis at 1b then its a no on Smith. So who else we going to get? Ill have to delve in to the Depth charts.

You are kidding right? McNeil is good but Kevin Smith?? He was horrible at AA ( .209/.263 - 151 Ks in only 463 ABs) Baty is still in rookie ball and 4-5 years away. Brewers can do much, much better.

You are kidding right? McNeil is good but Kevin Smith?? He was horrible at AA ( .209/.263 - 151 Ks in only 463 ABs) Baty is still in rookie ball and 4-5 years away. Brewers can do much, much better.

Kevin Smith the LHP.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=663325#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALL

3.15 ERA, 130 K in 117 IP, 1.26 WHIP

Kevin Smith the LHP.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=663325#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALL

3.15 ERA, 130 K in 117 IP, 1.26 WHIP

Yeah I see the writeup on Smith. Add Tomas (going to spell wrong) Sczapecki and I think youve got a decent return for Hader.

Turn around and Sign Donaldson and Boom. Watch out.

Btw that is finishing my JD Davis trade notion. You'd suddenly have this lineup:

1b Davis high OB

OF Yelich

2b Hiura

3b Donaldson

OF Cain

OF Garcia/Braun

C. Narvaez

SS Urias

Seriously this is maybe best offense in Baseball level especially if Urias took a step forward. You dont need Hader for shutting down 3run leads.

I'm guessing now Stearns signs Mike Lamb and platoons him with Healy. He's hoping he'll get their 2916-17 versions.

Mike Lamb is 44. He might be a tad past his prime.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lambmi01.shtml

If you're thinking of Jake Lamb, he isn't a free agent.

Archived