Brewer Fanatic

Mets Trade Idea

I get the impression based on the last couple years, the Brewers seem to think they are capable of helping players improve their infield defense. Think about all the players they've asked to move up the defensive spectrum. Shaw/Moose to 2b, Brad Miller/Cory Spang/Urias/Schoop to SS, helping Hiura at 2b, Ryon Healy probably 3b. I'm probably only grabbing a fraction of players...but Davis is probably a fringy bat for 1b/LF, but if he could play 3b his bat makes him an all-star.

Also with so many teams obsessed with launch angle, GB rate is down considerably...making IF defense proportionally less important.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get the impression based on the last couple years, the Brewers seem to think they are capable of helping players improve their infield defense. Think about all the players they've asked to move up the defensive spectrum. Shaw/Moose to 2b, Brad Miller/Cory Spang/Urias/Schoop to SS, helping Hiura at 2b, Ryon Healy probably 3b. I'm probably only grabbing a fraction of players...but Davis is probably a fringy bat for 1b/LF, but if he could play 3b his bat makes him an all-star.

Also with so many teams obsessed with launch angle, GB rate is down considerably...making IF defense proportionally less important.

This is what I’ve alluded to a couple times this offseason as well. Infield defense is becoming less important and I think that might be the newest trend Stearns is spearheading and giving a shot.

Maybe a Castellanos signing for 3B isn’t out of the realm of possibility! ;)

This is what I’ve alluded to a couple times this offseason as well. Infield defense is becoming less important and I think that might be the newest trend Stearns is spearheading and giving a shot.

Braun can now play third?

This article (which is now two years old, K rate has risen another 1.5% since it was published) shows that defensive opportunities at every position except 1B & 3B have declined markedly (between 18.9% & 27.2%) since 2007 as strikeouts have become more & more prevalent...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/where-defensive-opportunities-have-declined-most/

This article (which is now two years old, K rate has risen another 1.5% since it was published) shows that defensive opportunities at every position except 1B & 3B have declined markedly (between 18.9% & 27.2%) since 2007 as strikeouts have become more & more prevalent...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/where-defensive-opportunities-have-declined-most/

Awesome article, thank you!

Braun can now play third?

Yes he can! And Castellanos can sign with us and go to shortstop!

MLBTR saying that the Indians are showing a lot of interest in Jeff McNeil in any potential Lindor deal, but the Mets aren't willing to deal him.

Probably means he would be out of consideration in any possible Hader deal as well.

Or it means that he is already promised to us in a Hader deal...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I forgot about that old GM "promise" thing...

I think the Brewers should ship a low-level prospect to the Mets for Jed Lowrie. He has had big years following years he missed significant playing time. All we take on is the salary, which we have room. While I would ultimately prefer Kyle Seger, I am pretty sure there will be better offers from the Braves, Dodgers, or Nats (whomever loses out on Donaldson) than the Brewers can offer (since the Mariners are looking for prospects and not discards - i.e. Arcia).

I forgot about that old GM "promise" thing...

I think the Brewers should ship a low-level prospect to the Mets for Jed Lowrie. He has had big years following years he missed significant playing time. All we take on is the salary, which we have room. While I would ultimately prefer Kyle Seger, I am pretty sure there will be better offers from the Braves, Dodgers, or Nats (whomever loses out on Donaldson) than the Brewers can offer (since the Mariners are looking for prospects and not discards - i.e. Arcia).

He has had big years following years he missed significant playing time.

While I'm fine taking him on as a utility player if getting another player with him, I am definitely not banking on this trend continuing at age 36.

I mean I guess I could understand the theory that if he can rest up his injury for a long time he gets back to his old ways of being a good hitter but this seems like more of random luck when his good seasons happen than some tried and true theory of rest helping him. Also, his best season he's had as a pro came after playing a full season.

He has had big years following years he missed significant playing time.

While I'm fine taking him on as a utility player if getting another player with him, I am definitely not banking on this trend continuing at age 36.

I mean I guess I could understand the theory that if he can rest up his injury for a long time he gets back to his old ways of being a good hitter but this seems like more of random luck when his good seasons happen than some tried and true theory of rest helping him. Also, his best season he's had as a pro came after playing a full season.

Archived