Brewer Fanatic

Dellin Betances

There has been lots of press around Betances but I saw Jon Heyman said that he is looking for a 1 year deal in the $10m range. He made $7.25 million last year and he is coming off a significant achilles injury so I doubt he gets 1/10.

I would love for the Brewers to give him a one year bounce back deal, but if there is anything we know about Stearns, its that he likes to limit his risk in pitching as much as possible. However, when healthy he is a dominant pitcher. Its basically like having a RH Josh Hader:

2018 DB - 66.2 IP / 2.70 ERA / 2.47 FIP / 1.050 WHIP / 15.5 K9

2019 JH - 75.2 IP / 2.62 ERA / 3.10 FIP / 0.806 WHIP / 16.4 K9

What do you think it would take to land him? 1 year $8m?

This would be a perfect fit if the medicals check out and he wants to come here. I'm surprised Stearns hasn't added another RP yet other than bringing Claudio back. We're unlikely to get an ace SP, but the next best strategy is a deep rotation of average guys who can give you 5.0 IP, and a shutdown bullpen. Worked the last couple years but Hader needs some more help I think, even with Knebel returning.

I think Betances has a return date from his injury around June or July which probably means August at the earliest. If you sign Betances it would be for the 2021 season and not the 2020 season.

I think he's supposed to be ready by Spring Training, unless I'm mistaken.

I think Betances has a return date from his injury around June or July which probably means August at the earliest. If you sign Betances it would be for the 2021 season and not the 2020 season.

I thought it was later but I could be mistaken also.

I thought it was later but I could be mistaken also.

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/fa/fa1ac10c395b0d9d7f88e78cd9381611ef23fd5016c95833240114d062cab874.jpg

In all seriousness I was able to find this:

Dr. Brian Sennett, chair of Sports Medicine at Penn Medicine, expects Dellin Betances (Achilles) to be ready for spring training.

The setup man is officially done for the year after suffering a partial tear of his left Achilles tendon in his season debut Sunday versus the Blue Jays, but he is expected to avoid surgery and will likely be fully healed up with rest and rehab by next February. "Overall prognosis is good and he should be ready for spring training," said Sennett. "Just poor timing to return this year due to the fact that the World Series will be over in approximately six weeks." Betances, 31, is set to become a free agent this offseason.

Dellin B is also seeking a 1 yr $10M make good deal (per mlbTR https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/latest-on-dellin-betances.html )

At that cost range, he is not headed to MKE..

Why not? We have plenty of payroll space...it isn't really that bad of an idea. Unless we magically get Donaldson we have more payroll space than we know what to do with at this point.

Maybe you guys are thinking of Knebel who is not supposed to be ready until May. Which is why I find it incredible everyone is so high on him being a massive impact this year. He may be rusty and let down a lot of hopefuls.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Betances is great. I'd love to get him for the right price. Heck I'd be fine with an overpay on a one year deal or even two years.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Betances is great. I'd love to get him for the right price. Heck I'd be fine with an overpay on a one year deal or even two years.

I am curious -What do you define as overpay??

I feel 1 yr at $10M is out of MKEs range (even with MKE freeing up payroll space).

IMHO the reasoning is a mix of the overall payroll being trimmed back some and the remaining budget being directed toward other pressing needs (3B & rotation)..

We once paid $7.5mil for 42 year old Trevor Hoffman. I feel like we could pay $10mil for Betances if we wanted him.

We paid $10 million for one year of Eric Gagne!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

We once paid $7.5mil for 42 year old Trevor Hoffman. I feel like we could pay $10mil for Betances if we wanted him.

DS didn't sign Gagne though. Doug Melvin did. Lol

DS didn't sign Hoffman either.

I wouldn't pigeonhole Stearns as any sort of specific GM with phrases like "he won't pay that for a reliever" or "he only wants guys with positional flexibility" or anything like that for that matter. I don't think he closes doors with that kind of thinking.

I could 1000000% see the Brewers being in on Betances and if I were Betances I would want to pitch in Milwaukee too just because if he wants to land that big contract he could do so knowing he's gonna have plenty of opportunities to pitch for the Brewers.

DS didn't sign Hoffman either.

Didn't he pay 6 mil for Feliz though? I seem to remember a narrative about CC begging for a true closer option that flamed instantly.

yes, that is correct

Archived