Brewer Fanatic

Wade Miley to Reds - 2 years / $15 million

jjgott

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

Free-agent left-hander Wade Miley in agreement with #Reds on two-year, $15M contract, pending physical, sources tell The Athletic. Deal will reunite him with his former pitching coach in Milwaukee, Derek Johnson.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Up to $24 million if he is actually good. Makes the Brett Anderson signing look great, in my opinion. They were basically the same pitcher last year.

$24mil is he is good and a third year is added on.

I think this topic has come up before, but I’d much rather have a pitcher who is elite 5 months and horrid one month instead of the guy who is essentially average every month.

I think they could end up similar, but personally Wade Miley definitely has a higher ceiling. Miley has also been really durable over his career, Anderson not so much.

Making the assumption we could have brought him back on similar terms (maybe true or maybe not) I would have easily taken Miley...but that is just me.

I don’t know why I chuckled when I got the “breaking news” message. I mean, a couple years ago this guy was a bum and literally looks like one. Stearns found him too. Pretty neat.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Wade Miley tied for 10th highest ground ball rate (49.7%) among all qualified starters last year. The Reds already had two other starters in the top 10 last season, Sonny Gray (7th / 50.8%) and Luis Castillo (2nd / 55.2%).
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Wade Miley tied for 10th highest ground ball rate (49.7%) among all qualified starters last year. The Reds already had two other starters in the top 10 last season, Sonny Gray (7th / 50.8%) and Luis Castillo (2nd / 55.2%).

In the park they play in, this strategy really makes a lot of sense.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Up to $24 million if he is actually good. Makes the Brett Anderson signing look great, in my opinion. They were basically the same pitcher last year.

$24mil is he is good and a third year is added on.

I think this topic has come up before, but I’d much rather have a pitcher who is elite 5 months and horrid one month instead of the guy who is essentially average every month.

I think they could end up similar, but personally Wade Miley definitely has a higher ceiling. Miley has also been really durable over his career, Anderson not so much.

Making the assumption we could have brought him back on similar terms (maybe true or maybe not) I would have easily taken Miley...but that is just me.

How exactly does Wade Miley have a higher ceiling? Because he miraculously had a 2.57 ERA for us in 80.2 IP (versus a 4.30 xFIP)? Anderson has been better throughout his career when he actually pitches, and he's younger. I'll grant you that in his career Miley has been more durable, but not really in recent years.

One year of a risky pitcher versus two to three more expensive years of an older risky pitcher who will give you the same results. No brainer.

[sarcasm]Especially with Mike Moustakas manning SS/2B[/sarcasm] :laughing

[sarcasm]Especially with Mike Moustakas manning SS/2B[/sarcasm] :laughing

:laughing Well, a “seeing-eye-single” is still better than the ball landing in the Ohio River.

Ground ball pitchers in HR parks don't tend to work out as well as people think, they tend to give up a lot of HR on the balls that do make it into the air. I really don't know what to think about this one. I'm happy for Wade that he got 2 years and got some security for his family. I think there is definitely a good pitcher in there but I'm not sure I believe in just how good he has been over parts of the last 2 seasons. I also don't know what to think of the Reds. They grossly overperformed as a team last year with just about everyone on their team having a career year except for Votto and still finished with just 75 wins. I don't have confidence that they are even a .500 team so this type of signing is pretty risky.

Is there a snowballs chance in hell that Anderson has a better season than Miley? I am disliking more moves than I am liking this time around. I don't want to derail the thread, but this feels like a true penny pinching offseason.

Have you looked at the numbers? They’ll probably end up pretty comparable.

Is there a snowballs chance in hell that Anderson has a better season than Miley? I am disliking more moves than I am liking this time around. I don't want to derail the thread, but this feels like a true penny pinching offseason.

2019 Miley: 167.1 IP, 3.98 ERA, 4.51 FIP, 4.52 xFIP, 1.34 WHIP, 89 ERA-, 100 FIP-, 2.0 fWAR, 2.0 rWAR

2019 Anderson: 176.0 IP, 3.89 ERA, 4.57 FIP, 4.79 xFIP, 1.31 WHIP, 87 ERA-, 102 FIP-, 2.0 fWAR, 2.5 rWAR

Archived