Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 2018 Rotation Unemployed

It just occurred to me that most members of the 2018 Milwaukee Brewers Starting Rotation that took us to the doorstep of the World Series, somehow, are currently unemployed.

RHP Jhoulys Chacin

LHP Wade Miley

LHP Gio Gonzalez

RHP Jimmy Nelson

Will any of this group even be guaranteed a rotation spot if they sign at this point?

Miley 100% will get a rotation spot. He's better than at least half our rotation, so I'd like to think we would sign him to a $2-3 million deal if nobody else wants him for some unknown reason.

The others probably not. Nelson is a minor league deal candidate probably, though a good one. There's a real chance a bad team would take a chance on him on a major league deal as a bounceback and trade candidate. GG is probably in teh same boat as Nelson, obvoiulsy less upside so less likely to get a major league deal. Chacin is probably a bullpen guy. I'm not sure how much longer he sticks in the majors.

We'll see if my opinions are any good...

I would have liked to see the Brewers bring back Gonzalez...if Counsell didn't pull him so quickly in games. I understand the second and third time through the order stuff (to the extent that I am a proponent of the 60-60-60), but Counsell just didn't see to have any confidence in Gonzalez considering the quick hook he had with him.

I can understand it for many of the younger pitchers, and I think Counsell is definitely one of the finest managers in MLB, but his early hooks on Gonzalez were a bit ridiculous IMO. To the point where if I was Gonzalez I would probably prefer to pitch somewhere else.

Seems that the Brewers have moved on from Gonzalez. Wonder why?

Not sure if this is the reason, but Gio struggled to go deep into games. Only once completed six innings (that being said, it was against the Cubs).

Could Gio benefit from going to the pen? Becoming a multi-inning reliever?

Seems that the Brewers have moved on from Gonzalez. Wonder why?

Not sure if this is the reason, but Gio struggled to go deep into games. Only once completed six innings (that being said, it was against the Cubs).

Well, that was mostly because CC pulled him.

Not saying he should go more than 5, but saying he struggled to go deep in games isn't entirely accurate.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It just occurred to me that most members of the 2018 Milwaukee Brewers Starting Rotation that took us to the doorstep of the World Series, somehow, are currently unemployed.

RHP Jhoulys Chacin

LHP Wade Miley

LHP Gio Gonzalez

RHP Jimmy Nelson

Will any of this group even be guaranteed a rotation spot if they sign at this point?

Miley must have read this thread and told his agent to get him signed pronto.

Archived