Brewer Fanatic

Ryu or Donaldson?

TURBO
You don’t have to be David Stearns to know that.........but I’m glad to clarify for anyone that couldn’t figure it out on their own.

Pretty condescending. I also don't believe that that's necessarily true. It's a 34 year old who up until recently could have been targeted on a short term deal. They probably won't get him but I'm betting they at least inquired about him and I would have no problem believing they would have gotten involved depending on the market. It's not like we're talking about Gerrit Cole here.

What I meant was as soon as the market went to 4 years and 80-100 million for Donaldson it became clear the he wasn’t going to be signing with the Brewers.

I guess I could have been clearer but I assume people are following what is going on and most of us understand that Stearns isn’t paying that kind of money for 4 years of a player who is already 34.

Ok, that's fair. I don't know that I'd assume he's got 4/100 though and if someone is offering 4/80 and we're offering 3/75 we could end up winning it on the AAV.

Like I said, I doubt we will sign him. But in the scope of all his moves, Lorenzo Cain doesn't look like a Stearns signings either -- and he's still signed for 3 more years and only 4 months younger than Donaldson.

If they wouldn’t sign 31 year old Moose for 4/$64, why would they sign 34 year old Donaldson for 4/$100?

jdDg92f.png

Exactly! Moose was a fine player for the Brewers, but I get the feeling the sense of how good he actually was is somewhat overinflated around here. Provided Donaldson stays healthy, he's better, and it isn't particularly close.

If they wouldn’t sign 31 year old Moose for 4/$64, why would they sign 34 year old Donaldson for 4/$100?

Because 34 year old Donaldson is a borderline HOF candidate and 31 year old Mike Moustakas is a solid but not great player. You are comparing apples to oranges. Their only similarity is that they play the same position.

Obviously it will never happen but if they had a bigger budget and signed both would the Brewers be the favorite to win the Central? The rotation would all the sudden look solid and the bullpen could be very good. The lineup wouldnt have a weak spot and would have depth.

I have talked myself into it. Stearns is an idiot if he doesnt do it.

Archived