Brewer Fanatic

Ryu or Donaldson?

TURBO

Both past their primes and injury prone.

Brewers are more in need of Donaldson's bat, IMO.

No way we are signing either however.

Probably true, however, you don't know until it's true.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Why can’t we sign Donaldson for 4/100, 25 million in 20-23?

In 2020, we have around 85 million on the books now, and that brings us to 110 million, still room for a bit more.

In 2021, Braun comes off the books, which frees up 16 million, and so does Brett Anderson , and woodruff and Hader would be the only ones likely to get big raises.

In 2022, hopefully Urias is due a big raise, but no major required funds

In 2023, Cain is off the books and hopefully Yelich is starting his multi year extension.

The point being is that we can absorb the 25 million and still have room in each of those years to add significant players.

Why can’t we sign Donaldson for 4/100, 25 million in 20-23?

In 2020, we have around 85 million on the books now, and that brings us to 110 million, still room for a bit more.

In 2021, Braun comes off the books, which frees up 16 million, and so does Brett Anderson , and woodruff and Hader would be the only ones likely to get big raises.

In 2022, hopefully Urias is due a big raise, but no major required funds

In 2023, Cain is off the books and hopefully Yelich is starting his multi year extension.

The point being is that we can absorb the 25 million and still have room in each of those years to add significant players.

I think the bigger question is: how much value are you getting from that 25M per year contract in years 3 and 4? That's a contract that could hamstring us big time if Donaldson is a shell of himself in '22 and '23. With that said though - I would love to find a way to make a 3 year deal work with him. Not sure if he'd accept that - if he's getting 4 year offers from other teams? But, having him in the middle of the order protecting Yeli for at least the next couple of years (assuming we could keep him healthy) could be huge. And, we really need another big bat in this lineup.

A Donaldson signing would instantly get the entire fanbase excited for the 2020 season. We also desperately need to find a 3B for the next few years, as we don't have a single one coming up through our system that will be knocking on the door anytime soon. We are also sitting on a lot of free payroll space right now. I'm sure that I'll be wrong, but I just have this gut feel that we make a run at him. If not Donaldson, then I think DS has something else up his sleeve here to add a big, middle of the order bat to this lineup.

Both would be major upgrades to the roster, but I think I'd give the edge to Ryu as he'd be the clear ace to the staff and we're more likely to find another 3B via FA/trade near-ish Donaldson's production than we we are a SP near-ish Ryu's. I doubt McNeil's actually available in a trade, but if you could swing a smaller deal for Lowrie/Smith you'd be looking pretty good heading into the season:

Rotation: Ryu/Woodruff/Anderson/Lauer/Lindblom

Starting Lineup: Cain/Yelich/Hiura/Braun-Smith/Garcia-Braun/Lowrie/Narvaez-Pina/Urias-Arcia

I'd feel really good with the starters and what that lineup lacks in star power and intimidation, would likely be made up for by depth and actual production.

2018-19 Stats:

yANoWii.png

Ub3VLcU.png

Donaldson. But not more than two years. Unless Stearns has a trade that is almost hatched, I don't see where we find a 3B. I would rather trade for someones AAA guy that "should be" ready for the majors, then pay the arm and leg.

I'm not against both on two year contracts, may have to backload one of their deals.

One thing remains abundantly clear after several years of the Stearns regime: the Brewers will not, under any circumstances, pay sticker price for starting pitching. So expecting a Ryu signing ain’t happening.

But since the question presupposed we are the GM, I’ll answer what I would do. I’m confident that, by the end of the year, this team can somehow, some way make a pile of misfit arms into a serviceable rotation. Coaching, scouting, analytics, and managing can get us to average there. But the bat plays, and we need another lineup stalwart. Sign Donaldson and let slip the dogs of war.

Full seasons from Hiura and Yelich. Wrap Braun and Donaldson in bubble wrap and you’re guaranteed better production than whatever the quad of Moose/Thames/Aguilar/Shaw was giving us at the corners last year. Urias’ floor is an average season for Arcia at SS. Garcia takes all of the ABs that would have gone to Gamel, so he can stay on the bench/AAA shuttle. Narvaez will swing a comparable stick to Yaz, and that just leaves a reasonable bounce back candidate in Cain, especially if we can squeeze in a few more off-days for him. Give me that, and I’d lay some money down on this offense being better and deeper than last year’s by a fair margin.

One thing remains abundantly clear after several years of the Stearns regime: the Brewers will not, under any circumstances, pay sticker price for starting pitching. So expecting a Ryu signing ain’t happening.

But since the question presupposed we are the GM, I’ll answer what I would do. I’m confident that, by the end of the year, this team can somehow, some way make a pile of misfit arms into a serviceable rotation. Coaching, scouting, analytics, and managing can get us to average there. But the bat plays, and we need another lineup stalwart. Sign Donaldson and let slip the dogs of war.

Full seasons from Hiura and Yelich. Wrap Braun and Donaldson in bubble wrap and you’re guaranteed better production than whatever the quad of Moose/Thames/Aguilar/Shaw was giving us at the corners last year. Urias’ floor is an average season for Arcia at SS. Garcia takes all of the ABs that would have gone to Gamel, so he can stay on the bench/AAA shuttle. Narvaez will swing a comparable stick to Yaz, and that just leaves a reasonable bounce back candidate in Cain, especially if we can squeeze in a few more off-days for him. Give me that, and I’d lay some money down on this offense being better and deeper than last year’s by a fair margin.

I would be absolutely shocked if we signed Donaldson (or Ryu for that matter), but this just. makes. sense. Sign Donaldson, and we are at a similar, if not lower payroll than last year. We've already essentially filled our pen and rotation. It's the last hole left, considering Braun will likely play a number of games at 1B. Re-sign Thames or similar product to platoon at 1b and we are set.

Not to mention his defense is still top tier. God we sorely need that with our current infield... I hate talking myself into things.

Archived