Brewer Fanatic

Madison Bumgarner to the Dbacks, 5-years/$85M

Brewcrewin07

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
80 - 90 million per Heyman
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This is a good one for me. I did not want him anywhere near a Brewers uniform.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

85 million
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I’m going to predict that Robbie Ray gets traded this off-season. As the Diamondbacks showed with the Goldschmidt trade, they want to net something for their players on expiring contracts while trying to replenish the MLB team with talent.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Guys...please...as much as people hate me posting in every thread about the Brewers payroll etc. It gets just as annoying seeing people post how much these big money deals are going to be regrettable. None of us know that. Just because a player might be older, and gets a lot of money doesn't mean the contract will be regrettable. If Bumgarner wins a cy young in those 5 years and the Dbacks win a world series, will they rgret it?? I highly doubt it, even if his last 3 years are terrible. I wouldn't as a Brewers fan, I know that much.

I honestly think some of it is envy in that the Brewers will never make these kinds of signings so everyone hopes they turn out bad for the team that does sign them, so they can feel better about the Brewers NOT signing someone like this.

I tend to look at these things with no regard to the $$, because i honestly feel you have to. Think about it, who is MORE likely(of course no guarantees) to be a better pitcher over the next three years..Madison Bumgarner, Gerritt Cole and Stephen Strasburg, or Brett Anderson, Josh Lindblom and Matt Lauer?? Who's numbers would benefit the Brewers more in all likelihood?? That's how I look at these things.

Heyman thinks the deal is quite reasonable...can't say i disagree in comparison..

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

·

9m

Bumgarner 85M deal seems quite reasonable, especially considering his incredible October record, and especially in this market with Wheeler getting 33M more. 1st on MB: @JeffPassan

1st with 15M deferred: @Ken_Rosenthal

Guys...please...as much as people hate me posting in every thread about the Brewers payroll etc. It gets just as annoying seeing people post how much these big money deals are going to be regrettable. None of us know that. Just because a player might be older, and gets a lot of money doesn't mean the contract will be regrettable. If Bumgarner wins a cy young in those 5 years and the Dbacks win a world series, will they rgret it?? I highly doubt it, even if his last 3 years are terrible. I wouldn't as a Brewers fan, I know that much.

I honestly think some of it is envy in that the Brewers will never make these kinds of signings so everyone hopes they turn out bad for the team that does sign them, so they can feel better about the Brewers NOT signing someone like this.

I tend to look at these things with no regard to the $$, because i honestly feel you have to. Think about it, who is MORE likely(of course no guarantees) to be a better pitcher over the next three years..Madison Bumgarner, Gerritt Cole and Stephen Strasburg, or Brett Anderson, Josh Lindblom and Matt Lauer?? Who's numbers would benefit the Brewers more in all likelihood?? That's how I look at these things.

I'm curious what your house, car, and bank account look like.

Nobody has said anything about this deal being regrettable. you're arguing with yourself to make a point. You've been asked by multiple mods to stop bringing this payroll argument to every thread you post in. Just in the last 2 hours you've derailed the Garcia thread, tried to derail the Kluber thread, and brought it here unabated. If you want to talk about the payroll, there are threads about payroll. Stop derailing every thread with this payroll rant.

Guys...please...as much as people hate me posting in every thread about the Brewers payroll etc. It gets just as annoying seeing people post how much these big money deals are going to be regrettable. None of us know that. Just because a player might be older, and gets a lot of money doesn't mean the contract will be regrettable.

Most people here were on board when the Brewers signed Cain to a big deal.

Or it could be that a large number of them do, in fact, turn out horribly?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

MadBum has a ~.830 OPS against the last 2 years away from the best pitchers park in the majors. It would be stupid for Stearns to give away an $850M contract when you can get that level of production from 50% of the 1 year signees. It's not that they shouldn't spend the money ever, it's that they shouldn't spend it on a player who isn't worth it.

Nobody has said anything about this deal being regrettable. you're arguing with yourself to make a point. You've been asked by multiple mods to stop bringing this payroll argument to every thread you post in. Just in the last 2 hours you've derailed the Garcia thread, tried to derail the Kluber thread, and brought it here unabated. If you want to talk about the payroll, there are threads about payroll. Stop derailing every thread with this payroll rant.

Not sure how this was anything about the Brewers payroll...but it's clear you don't like me for some reason. That's cool though man.

I think half the deals should turn out to be regrettable by the teams, and half the deals should be regrettable by the players. Then it would be a fair market. If every deal was great for every team, then the players didn't get enough.

The problem is the Brewers can't look at things with no regards to money. Resource allocation is a thing. And with Bumgarner there are reasons for people to be glad they didn't do this deal beyond the price, even beyond the fact that his act is pretty tiresome. His road splits have been close your eyes bad. If you believe that is the pitcher he would be in Milwaukee, it is best to steer clear. Even if you believe that he is just naturally better at home, it would be difficult to justify because the home stats will get worse moving to Milwaukee and you still would have the bad road splits.

Maybe he finds success outside of San Fran, but lumping him in with Cole and Strasburg seems like a mistake.

MadBum has a ~.830 OPS against the last 2 years away from the best pitchers park in the majors. It would be stupid for Stearns to give away an $850M contract when you can get that level of production from 50% of the 1 year signees. It's not that they shouldn't spend the money ever, it's that they shouldn't spend it on a player who isn't worth it.

Correct! We should be very grateful that we have a GM who is not impulsive and doesn't simply throw money at a name because he has money to throw at a name.

Bumgarner hasn't been in the Cy Young conversation since 2016 and most likely won't be in one in the next 5. To question if a team will regret paying a guy if said player goes on to win a Cy Young and WS is a pretty silly hypothetical and could be applied to any pitcher who signs elsewhere.

Archived