Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Brett Anderson to a one year deal

jonescm128
He's our Gio replacement as Gio's pricetag is very likely out of our range given the current market. Can't believe Brett is just 31 as it seems like he's been around forever. Still waiting for a 3B and 1B, but the pitching market seems to be heating up more than batters so I can see Stearns making sure he isn't shut out of SP options.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have rather signed Gausman for the 1 year $9 million deal he got, or hung on to Jimmy Nelson for the $3-4 million he would have costed, but I guess we'll see..

But this guys been a better pitcher than Nelson, so why?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would have rather signed Gausman for the 1 year $9 million deal he got, or hung on to Jimmy Nelson for the $3-4 million he would have costed, but I guess we'll see..

Both of those pitchers were miles and miles worse than Anderson last year.

Their upside is also much, much greater. Like I said, we will see. Hope I'm wrong.

But this guys been a better pitcher than Nelson, so why?

Significantly better than Gausman, too. I mean, I guess you could say that Gausman and Nelson have higher upsides? Probably a lot lower floors, though, too.

Anderson is an ideal "back of the rotation" type starter. It appears that the Brewers are taking a leap of faith in hoping they have a few pitchers who perform better than that, so that he turns out to be the fourth or fifth best starter. If he manages to put up the same numbers he did as an Athletic, and he's the Brewers 4th or 5th best starter, we're probably looking at another division championship.

Both of those pitchers were miles and miles worse than Anderson last year.

Their upside is also much, much greater. Like I said, we will see. Hope I'm wrong.

Based on what? There's a camp of Gausman supporters that have been consistently disappointed. Gausman is going to the best pitcher park in the majors so he can hide his deficiencies when he goes into FA next year. Nelson is pretty much toast. He might be able to be successful as a RP, but very very few pitchers who have their shoulder reconstructed ever make it back to close what they were before. "Much, Much" greater upside just isn't clear to me.

I don't know why people dislike this deal...

1. He is a veteran with a lot of experience and you know what you are going to get (when healthy).

2. Allows us to stabilize the rotation instead of going with young unproven guys like last year.

3. Burnes and Peralta don't have to shoulder the load of a spot in the rotation and can be developed and used in the bullpen.

4. Really good value and doesn't inhibit Stearns from making larger moves.

I don't know why people dislike this deal...

1. He is a veteran with a lot of experience and you know what you are going to get (when healthy).

2. Allows us to stabilize the rotation instead of going with young unproven guys like last year.

3. Burnes and Peralta don't have to shoulder the load of a spot in the rotation and can be developed and used in the bullpen.

4. Really good value and doesn't inhibit Stearns from making larger moves.

I think for many it is because his name isn't Stephen Strasburg.

I get adding an arm but how many backend of the rotation arms do we need. And when do we address the front end?

Woodruff is a top of the rotation arm and I think Houser will surprise people this year (if he didn't last year). Everyone just wants the big name.

For example, take these two pitchers:

Pitcher A 195 IP / 3.96 ERA / 3.48 FIP / 1.259 WHIP / 9.0 K9 / 2.3 BB9

Pitcher B 111 IP / 3.72 ERA / 3.88 FIP / 1.240 WHIP / 9.5 K9 / 3.0 BB9

Pitcher A is Zack Wheeler and he just signed a $118 million contract

Pitcher B is Adrian Houser and he will make about $600k this year

Stop listening to ESPN and MLB Network. They only talk about the big names and lead you to believe that signing those guys is the only way to build a good rotation. It's not.

One thing kind of ignored so far it seems:

Stearns is constructing an atrocity of a defense so far and just signed one of the biggest contact pitchers there is. To me it is an interesting selection for the team because of that. We will see what is stuck at 3B and 1B, but I doubt they are great defenders. (Please note the SO FARs, as there is offseason and players left).

I will hold out hope for a bigger rotation addition that pushes one of these guys to the bullpen. As it seems though Stearns is not much of a guy to invest in the rotation...so that is unlikely. Guess we will see if it works out this year, surely didn’t last year.

I think these iffy starter additions are a sign they expect Hader/Suter/Knebel/Peralta/Burnes to be an elite pen and rely heavy on it.

I get adding an arm but how many backend of the rotation arms do we need. And when do we address the front end?

Woodruff is a top of the rotation arm and I think Houser will surprise people this year (if he didn't last year). Everyone just wants the big name.

For example, take these two pitchers:

Pitcher A 195 IP / 3.96 ERA / 3.48 FIP / 1.259 WHIP / 9.0 K9 / 2.3 BB9

Pitcher B 111 IP / 3.72 ERA / 3.88 FIP / 1.240 WHIP / 9.5 K9 / 3.0 BB9

Pitcher A is Zack Wheeler and he just signed a $118 million contract

Pitcher B is Adrian Houser and he will make about $600k this year

Stop listening to ESPN and MLB Network. They only talk about the big names and lead you to believe that signing those guys is the only way to build a good rotation. It's not.

You should probably use Houser’s stats only as a starter so as to not have inaccurate results that are misleading.

One thing kind of ignored so far it seems:

Stearns is constructing an atrocity of a defense so far and just signed one of the biggest contact pitchers there is. To me it is an interesting selection for the team because of that. We will see what is stuck at 3B and 1B, but I doubt they are great defenders. (Please note the SO FARs, as there is offseason and players left).

I will hold out hope for a bigger rotation addition that pushes one of these guys to the bullpen. As it seems though Stearns is not much of a guy to invest in the rotation...so that is unlikely. Guess we will see if it works out this year, surely didn’t last year.

I think these iffy starter additions are a sign they expect Hader/Suter/Knebel/Peralta/Burnes to be an elite pen and rely heavy on it.

How is making the playoffs deemed not working out?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

At some point in the next 3 months?

How about before there all signed

The only ones signed, so far, we couldn't afford, even if we wanted to. If you're waiting for a MadBum or Keuchel, yeah, good luck with that.

Brett Anderson has a little more of an injury history, and wasn't as solid at the beginning of his career as Miley, but also wasn't nearly as terrible as Miley was before his time as a Brewer. But the two of them compare pretty favorably stuff and makeup wise.

My biggest beef is that this was just a one-year deal. I'd have gone two years with a club option, maybe even three.

Well he would have been last year, so doesn't seem like a huge stretch... at least according to fWAR.

eIUzbWv.png

And btw, Lauer would have came in 2nd with a 2.3 WAR as well. I guess this also shows how little we've actually lost in terms of starters so far this offseason / how bad the rotation was last year yet still got them to the Wild Card game. So in comparison to last year, this rotation is shaping up to be "good enough" already. Obviously I wouldn't mind a Keuchel/Ryu to solidify things a bit and 1B/3B still need to be shored up, but there's a lot of time and money still available to get things done. I think we're in a very good, David Stearns-y spot to be in right now.

He would have also led the team in innings pitched last year by quite a bit.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived