• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Woodruff

2) Lauer

3) Houser

4) Anderson

5) Lindblom

I really hope this is not the final plan to be the rotation cause that's just plain gross. I like all the cheap additions and low risk signings, but they have one guy who is a proven starter and then a bunch of guys you would expect a 90 loss team to trot out there. That just does not sound promising.

The rotation they wound up using last year, if you can call it that, looked like a 56-win team without context. They're going to end up starting 10 different guys anyway. This is just another guy, I wouldn't read into it.

Yah and that rotation ended up a huge joke for the most part (the opening day one). Burnes/Peralta were worthless and Chacin flopped. We won't have a guy like Chase to save the day for one of the spots either if someone blows. There isn't really much depth. That is especially concerning when you are going to role with a rotation that is made up of poor track records, inexperienced, and may have some injury history.

Yah, we can acquire guys in July, but that is 3-4 months of baseball you go through before that time. Poor performance out of the starters is going to cost a lot of wins in that case.

I get the injury concerns... but B. Anderson pitched better than C. Anderson did last year... so, yes we will?

Trust me ... if this team were terrible, and had a track record of terribleness, I'd be right with you guys questioning these sort of moves. I was right at the top of the heap bashing the Wade Miley signing in spring 2018 once upon a time. But you know what ... I was wrong. Dead wrong. This team has made it a habit the last three years taking underwhelming pitching talent and getting the most they possibly can out of it (Davies and Anderson in 2017, Miley in 2018, Lyles last year) . And frankly, they converted me. Could they lose my support on moves like this? Sure ... if we see a few of these guys fail, I will be a lot more skeptical. But right now, they've earned at least the benefit of the doubt, at least in my eyes.

Yah and that rotation ended up a huge joke for the most part (the opening day one). Burnes/Peralta were worthless and Chacin flopped. We won't have a guy like Chase to save the day for one of the spots either if someone blows. There isn't really much depth. That is especially concerning when you are going to role with a rotation that is made up of poor track records, inexperienced, and may have some injury history.

Yah, we can acquire guys in July, but that is 3-4 months of baseball you go through before that time. Poor performance out of the starters is going to cost a lot of wins in that case.

I'm with you, I'm just saying, their rotation is probably not going to look great on paper, it just doesn't seem to be what they do. But I'm not gonna look at some back end depth signing and blast it, because that's all it's meant to be. I still think something is cooking, at least I desperately hope that's the case. There has to be at least one moderate fish they have their eye on.

We still have money, so that could be the case, but I remember a couple of offseasons ago when everyone (myself included) was railing on Stearns for "doing nothing" and relying on washed-up Wade Miley. Many cheered when he got hurt in spring training, so that we wouldn't have to suffer through his starts.

Turns out he had a new pitch in the arsenal (went from barely using the cutter to using it over 40%) and helped cement our rotation for a pretty good season. I don't know what Brett Anderson will do, but it's possible that Stearns views him as another Wade Miley signing. As I said in the last post, last season was the first year Anderson threw a cutter. Stearns must see something he likes.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Had a bit of a breakout season last year after he added a cutter, which he used 13.8% of the time. That looks to have graded out as a plus pitch along with his change-up, so maybe there's a reason for his 2019 numbers and they aren't just a fluke.

Hmmm.... lefty with mediocre track record adds a cutter which develops as a plus pitch.

Who does that sound like?

I think everyone can benefit from reading this. It is possible to voice opposition to a move in a thought-provoking and non-triggering way.

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=39344

I just registered here but have lurked for some time. I have to say that from my observations you are a prime example of someone who spends a lot of time telling other people what they should think or how they should react to that the team is doing.

As to the purpose of the thread: I'm totally fine signing a starting pitcher coming off a 2.7 bWAR season. I hope the money is modest, but Brett Anderson could be a very good pitcher for the Brewers in 2020.

Trust me ... if this team were terrible, and had a track record of terribleness, I'd be right with you guys questioning these sort of moves. I was right at the top of the heap bashing the Wade Miley signing in spring 2018 once upon a time. But you know what ... I was wrong. Dead wrong. This team has made it a habit the last three years taking underwhelming pitching talent and getting the most they possibly can out of it (Davies and Anderson in 2017, Miley in 2018, Lyles last year) . And frankly, they converted me. Could they lose my support on moves like this? Sure ... if we see a few of these guys fail, I will be a lot more skeptical. But right now, they've earned at least the benefit of the doubt, at least in my eyes.

We should all know by now that Stearns will NEVER sign a pitcher to an expensive multi-year deal because pitchers success can vary so much from year to year. He is much more likely to give big sums of money to hitters since they are more of a sure thing.

Buster Olney

@Buster_ESPN

·

1m

Brett Anderson gets $5m in his deal w the Brewers, plus potential for $2 million in performance bonuses.

So basically still cheaper than Chase Anderson, even if he pitches better than Chase Anderson. When guys like Roark and Gausman are signing for anywhere between $9-$12 million, this looks like a steal.

But it's only a steal, I guess, if they actually turn around and use this savings to improve somewhere else.

I've been thinking for years that Stearns was just waiting to snag a TOR starting pitcher, but perhaps it's just not in his organizational philosophy to do that? Maybe this is just what we can expect - picking up solid if unspectacular and undervalued starting pitchers that can pitch well enough to keep the team in games. I mean, this is starting to be a trend now. We basically replaced Chase Anderson and Zach Davies with left-handed versions of those guys. I think that's just the team's philosophy when it comes to starting pitching. The "name" guys just aren't worth it.

I think this very well could be the case. As long as they use that do their advantage and put those resources into position player then I think it makes sense.

There's still alot of time left in the off-season. I know this is a fan site so I get the over-analysis of things but I fail to see any real good or bad with this signing at this point. Anderson's results were positive last season regardless of peripherals.

It's also conceivable Houser, Burnes and Peralta make some positive adjustments and one or more become last year's Woodruff.

Woodruff

Houser

Peralta

Lauer\Anderson

Burnes....

isn't awful if you dream a bit on potential and what they'v flashed over the last couple seasons

I don't really intend to get in a tit for tat, but i'm sorry making a wild card game is not "making the playoffs." It's precisely what it says it is contrary to what MLB sells it as...a play in game. Was a fun time until Mr. Butterfinger ruined our actual playoff hopes, but oh well.

There's alot of emotion in free agency, and while I like this for a depth signing quite a bit, this rotation is still pretty unacceptable from my personal view. We spent a butt load of capital signing Lorenzo Cain, and spent a butt load of prospect (on paper) capital acquiring Christian Yelich, and if Brent Suter is what we're thinking of trotting out there every 5th day in the back end we wasted a bunch of money IMO.

Sign a starter with the talent of a Ryu and you won't hear any more complaining about signings like Brett Anderson or Lindblom.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I understand being underwhelmed at this move but I do not understand being upset about this move.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't really intend to get in a tit for tat, but i'm sorry making a wild card game is not "making the playoffs." It's precisely what it says it is contrary to what MLB sells it as...a play in game. Was a fun time until Mr. Butterfinger ruined our actual playoff hopes, but oh well.

There's alot of emotion in free agency, and while I like this for a depth signing quite a bit, this rotation is still pretty unacceptable from my personal view. We spent a butt load of capital signing Lorenzo Cain, and spent a butt load of prospect (on paper) capital acquiring Christian Yelich, and if Brent Suter is what we're thinking of trotting out there every 5th day in the back end we wasted a bunch of money IMO.

Sign a starter with the talent of a Ryu and you won't hear any more complaining about signings like Brett Anderson or Lindblom.

If you think this rotation is unacceptable, you should see the one (with preseason expectations) that we trotted out in 2018 before nearly making the World Series.

I agree the Brewers need to add some additional starting pitching, preferably someone with a little more health certainty than Anderson.

SP depth currently:

Anderson

Burnes

Faria

Houser

Lauer

Peralta

Suter

Woodruff

That's really only 8 guys unless you want to consider Supak too. I'm also not even confident Faria will last very long on the 40 man roster once we make it into the season. I think they probably need 1 minor league signing like a miley or tomlin from the last couple years and another guy you'd hope to get 25+ starts from.

You forgot Lindblom. IMO Faria was so horrible he doesn't make the team and he is out of options. Stearns has indicated they would like Suter and Peralta to be in the pen. I can't imagine how Burnes doesn't start the year in AAA. Both quantity and quality are severely lacking right now. It's still only Dec. 13th and I believe Stearns has more surprises up his sleeve

I agree the Brewers need to add some additional starting pitching, preferably someone with a little more health certainty than Anderson.

SP depth currently:

Anderson

Burnes

Faria

Houser

Lauer

Peralta

Suter

Woodruff

That's really only 8 guys unless you want to consider Supak too. I'm also not even confident Faria will last very long on the 40 man roster once we make it into the season. I think they probably need 1 minor league signing like a miley or tomlin from the last couple years and another guy you'd hope to get 25+ starts from.

You forgot Lindblom. IMO Faria was so horrible he doesn't make the team and he is out of options. Stearns has indicated they would like Suter and Peralta to be in the pen. I can't imagine how Burnes doesn't start the year in AAA. Both quantity and quality are severely lacking right now. It's still only Dec. 13th and I believe Stearns has more surprises up his sleeve

I know exactly what you mean, and I agree with you. That said, to me Brett Anderson is quite possibly the LEAST surprising David Stearns acquisition in his history as the team's GM. After looking at his numbers and offerings, I honestly can't believe no one has really mentioned him as a potential signing. If anyone screams "value signing propped up by analytics, it's probably this guy.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It's upsetting because it's a waste of a 40 man roster spot that should be going to a better player.

They have like 34 guys on the 40 man.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Good signing for the price considering what is being tossed around in free agency so far. Fills depth quite nicely if he performs.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived