Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Brett Anderson to a one year deal

jonescm128

Financial terms unknown at this point but I can't see it being very much. He's not going to blow anyone away but I like this as a solid #4/#5 signing.

Doesn't matter how bad Omar Navarez is at throwing out runners if we have a few lefties in the rotation holding guys on.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eh. A pitch to contact guy if there ever was one. They did need some SP depth, just not sure if ths is an upgrade over Anderson and I would guess it will come in around the same price that he was given what the market has been. But I could be wrong. Maybe it'll be much lower than I'm expecting.

1) Woodruff

2) Lauer

3) Houser

4) Anderson

5) Lindblom

I really hope this is not the final plan to be the rotation cause that's just plain gross. I like all the cheap additions and low risk signings, but they have one guy who is a proven starter and then a bunch of guys you would expect a 90 loss team to trot out there. That just does not sound promising.

Eh. A pitch to contact guy if there ever was one. They did need some SP depth, just not sure if ths is an upgrade over Anderson and I would guess it will come in around the same price that he was given what the market has been. But I could be wrong. Maybe it'll be much lower than I'm expecting.

I think he will be making much less than Anderson's $8.5m

1) Woodruff

2) Lauer

3) Houser

4) Anderson

5) Lindblom

I really hope this is not the final plan to be the rotation cause that's just plain gross. I like all the cheap additions and low risk signings, but they have one guy who is a proven starter and then a bunch of guys you would expect a 90 loss team to trot out there. That just does not sound promising.

agreed. seems like they have an ace and then 4 guys that you could plug in between 2-5, none of them distinguishing themselves from the others on a talent level. I hope Stearns can somehow get one more.

1) Woodruff

2) Lauer

3) Houser

4) Anderson

5) Lindblom

The rotation they wound up using last year, if you can call it that, looked like a 56-win team without context. They're going to end up starting 10 different guys anyway. This is just another guy, I wouldn't read into it.

Diving even deeper into the Dumpster I see.

13-9 with a 3.89 ERA in the AL West last year, so far from it actually. Keep up the unsubstantiated hot takes, though ;)

There are a lot of negative comments, however, the constant "everything is great" comments can be a bore too. Giving lectures on how people should feel is also pretty old here...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

1) Woodruff

2) Lauer

3) Houser

4) Anderson

5) Lindblom

The rotation they wound up using last year, if you can call it that, looked like a 56-win team without context. They're going to end up starting 10 different guys anyway. This is just another guy, I wouldn't read into it.

Yah and that rotation ended up a huge joke for the most part (the opening day one). Burnes/Peralta were worthless and Chacin flopped. We won't have a guy like Chase to save the day for one of the spots either if someone blows. There isn't really much depth. That is especially concerning when you are going to role with a rotation that is made up of poor track records, inexperienced, and may have some injury history.

Yah, we can acquire guys in July, but that is 3-4 months of baseball you go through before that time. Poor performance out of the starters is going to cost a lot of wins in that case.

13-9 with a 3.89 ERA in the AL West last year, so far from it actually. Keep up the unsubstantiated hot takes, though ;)

There are a lot of negative comments, however, the constant "everything is great" comments can be a bore too. Giving lectures on how people should feel is also pretty old here...

I think everyone can benefit from reading this. It is possible to voice opposition to a move in a thought-provoking and non-triggering way.

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=39344

Anderson had 90 strikeouts in 176 innings pitched last year but had a respectable ERA in the tough AL. Every time I wonder if Stearns knows what he's doing the move usually ends up working out and they make the playoffs. So I'm going to reserve judgment for now. Was hoping they'd go after Ryu or Keuchel but maybe they plan on using that money on Donaldson or Castellanos.

Could not agree more with this statement. BrewersApologists.net

I agree the Brewers need to add some additional starting pitching, preferably someone with a little more health certainty than Anderson.

SP depth currently:

Anderson

Burnes

Faria

Houser

Lauer

Peralta

Suter

Woodruff

That's really only 8 guys unless you want to consider Supak too. I'm also not even confident Faria will last very long on the 40 man roster once we make it into the season. I think they probably need 1 minor league signing like a miley or tomlin from the last couple years and another guy you'd hope to get 25+ starts from.

I am just going to get out in front of this before it gets out of control...let's chill with the terrible signing stuff. This is a cheap, depth signing that probably cost the Brewers a few million bucks and he may not even end up making the rotation. Given his injury history I bet the deal doesn't have a ton of guaranteed money and is pretty incentive laden. Extremely low risk deal and if he ends up being terrible its not going to cost much for the Brewers to let him go.

Had a bit of a breakout season last year after he added a cutter, which he used 13.8% of the time. That looks to have graded out as a plus pitch along with his change-up, so maybe there's a reason for his 2019 numbers and they aren't just a fluke.

Not a world-beater, but I'll take a 3.89 ERA, 87 ERA-, 2.0 WAR starter. Of course, that could have been a fluke, which is probably why Stearns only gave him a one-year deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I've been thinking for years that Stearns was just waiting to snag a TOR starting pitcher, but perhaps it's just not in his organizational philosophy to do that? Maybe this is just what we can expect - picking up solid if unspectacular and undervalued starting pitchers that can pitch well enough to keep the team in games. I mean, this is starting to be a trend now. We basically replaced Chase Anderson and Zach Davies with left-handed versions of those guys. I think that's just the team's philosophy when it comes to starting pitching. The "name" guys just aren't worth it.

Anderson is very solid when he actually pitches. I feel like Stearns may be trying to use or SP depth to advantage by signing a guy who might only give us 100-130 IP. I wonder if Rich Hill is on his radar?

Ok? But everything is great. We've made the playoffs two consecutive years during what was supposed to be a rebuilding period, and we arguably have the most effective GM in the sport. Plenty of Yankees jerseys for sale online if you want to follow a team that splashes $300M on a perennial Cy Young contender.

Yah and that rotation ended up a huge joke for the most part (the opening day one). Burnes/Peralta were worthless and Chacin flopped. We won't have a guy like Chase to save the day for one of the spots either if someone blows. There isn't really much depth. That is especially concerning when you are going to role with a rotation that is made up of poor track records, inexperienced, and may have some injury history.

Yah, we can acquire guys in July, but that is 3-4 months of baseball you go through before that time. Poor performance out of the starters is going to cost a lot of wins in that case.

I'm with you, I'm just saying, their rotation is probably not going to look great on paper, it just doesn't seem to be what they do. But I'm not gonna look at some back end depth signing and blast it, because that's all it's meant to be. I still think something is cooking, at least I desperately hope that's the case. There has to be at least one moderate fish they have their eye on.

Archived