Brewer Fanatic

Corner OF Ideas

Vollbc74

With Braun being in his last year of his deal and CC being open to him spending some time at 1B, it may be time for us to think about the potential future of our OF (depending on your view of Corey Ray).

FA Options

Nick Castellanos

Marcel Ozuna

Yasiel Puig

Corey Dickerson

Asvail Garcia

Kole Calhoun

Trade Options

Starling Marte

Mitch Haniger

Who would be your main targets from this group?

Castellanos is my top pick. Otherwise I wouldn’t mind bringing in Avisail Garcia on a multi year deal. Something like a 2/$12-$14 million or so. Castellanos because I think he’s a breakout candidate and will be well worth it. Garcia is my second choice because he does pretty much everything well. He isn’t particularly great at anything, but is a solid fielder, has some speed, has some pop, and doesn’t strikeout a ton.

I'm not sure any of them are perfect fits.

My favorite of the group is Marte, but i'm not sure the brewers will match up well with the Pirates in a trade. Castellanos probably requires a lot more of Braun at 1b than i'd expect. Ozuna I'm not interested in.

Dickerson probably fits the best. Not necessarily an every day player, but could be one if any of Braun, Cain, or Yelich goes down. Lefty bat who is still serviceable vs lefties. His injury last year was a fractured foot so I'm not sure if there will be any lingering effects, but if the medicals check out he would probably be my top target if the Brewers.

Puig would probably be second. He is coming off a somewhat down year so maybe he'd be looking for a 1 year deal (a brewers special). reverse platoon splits and could move Yelich back over to LF which would be desirable.

EDIT: JD Martinez from the Red Sox is interesting if they're looking to shed salary. He's the type of bat you could risk the big salary and bad glove on.

Have to include some other names that are more or less bargain bin specials:

Hunter Pence

Domingo Santana

Melky Cabrera

Jon Jay

Kevin Pillar

Not sure if any of the top FA see a clear path to playing time unless Brewers commit to Braun as primarily a 1B and if they do that, and get a RH hitting 3B, then the focus is on Dickerson or Calhoun. I'd love Castellanos, but he's going to command some decent money and he's an everyday player, not a platoon option.

Have to include some other names that are more or less bargain bin specials:

Hunter Pence

Domingo Santana

Melky Cabrera

Jon Jay

Kevin Pillar

Not sure if any of the top FA see a clear path to playing time unless Brewers commit to Braun as primarily a 1B and if they do that, and get a RH hitting 3B, then the focus is on Dickerson or Calhoun. I'd love Castellanos, but he's going to command some decent money and he's an everyday player, not a platoon option.

I would like to see Pence brought in as the 4th outfielder personally regardless of if we sign someone else like Garcia or Castellanos. Trade Gamel for a couple lottery tickets and bring in Pence. This of course would be if Braun sees the majority of time at first base.

Avasial Garcia- Go for three years. He is about to be a very, very good player.

Yasiel Puig- Two years. He would be awesome in Miller Park.

Corey Dickerson- One year with a club option. Good hitter but aging.

Hunter Pence- 1 year and hope he hits like last year. Can at 1B.

Melky Cabrera- 1 year and hope he stays healthy.

Kole Calhoun- I think for the price, all the others are better options.

Keep in mind, what Stearns has suggested is that Braun may spend some time at 1B, but he is not likely to be the 1B.

Thus, I would not spend a lot of money on a backup OF. Remember, Braun had a .849 OPS last year and played in 144 games - he is still a very good player. The better use of that money is to put it towards pitching this year, and then corner OF if needed the following year.

The top of my list for a backup OF/PH is Matt Joyce. >.800 OPS three of the last four years, >.400 OBP last year and two of the last four years, 16% BB rate and 19% K rate last year, only cost $1.35M last year. Second choice is Derek Dietrich, who could also backup at 2B and 1B and only cost $2M last year. I could get behind Dickerson, but only if he could be had for under $5M.

Keep in mind, what Stearns has suggested is that Braun may spend some time at 1B, but he is not likely to be the 1B.

Thus, I would not spend a lot of money on a backup OF. Remember, Braun had a .849 OPS last year and played in 144 games - he is still a very good player. The better use of that money is to put it towards pitching this year, and then corner OF if needed the following year.

The top of my list for a backup OF/PH is Matt Joyce. >.800 OPS three of the last four years, >.400 OBP last year and two of the last four years, 16% BB rate and 19% K rate last year, only cost $1.35M last year. Second choice is Derek Dietrich, who could also backup at 2B and 1B and only cost $2M last year. I could get behind Dickerson, but only if he could be had for under $5M.

I still like Neil Walker as a backup. He hit well in Milwaukee a couple of years ago, he's a SW, and can play 1B, 3B, and 2B in a pinch. .275/.351 against lefties - .259/.343 against righties - has some pop - pretty good in high leverage situations. He would be in that $1.75-2M range. Joyce is a DH or PH who can play OF in an emergency. Dietrich (.187) was horrible last year.

Dietrich (.187) was horrible last year.

Which was likely due to bad luck - his BABIP last year was .176 (a fraction of his career .295 BABIP), which was supported by his great SLG (.462) and despite the low BA still had an OK OBP of .328.

If his BABIP last year was anywhere near his career BABIP, he would have had a monster season.

How about this to get Haniger?

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-18554/

Brewers get:

OF Haniger

3B Seager

LHP Sheffield

RHP Dunn

Mariners get:

RHP Burnes

OF Lutz

SS Turang

----

ss: Urias

2b: Hiura

lf: Yelich

rf: Haniger

c: Narvaez

1b: Braun

3b: Seager

cf: Cain

pitcher

Bench: Pina, Gamel, Mathias, Rodriguez, Taylor

rotation: Woodruff, Dunn, Lauer, Houser, Anderson

bullpen: Hader, Knebel, Suter, Sheffield, Peralta, Rasmussen, Lindholm, Yardley

2021:

SS Arcia

2B Urias

DH Hiura

^Or this^

Wouldn't Hiura being a dh negate most of his value? His bat isn't nearly as special if he's not at 2nd.

How can you possibly know what his bat will be like in 2021?

If he is as good of a hitter as most think he is, DH will be perfect for him if his defense doesn't improve.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brandon Nimmo would be my top target overall, Corey Dickerson would be my top target in free agency

I also really like Castellanos but only to play 1B.

If Hader is traded to the Mets, I would insist on Nimmo being a part of that deal. He has elite OBP skills. Sign Castellanos to play 1B and rotate Braun from LF to 1B depending on matchups.

Brandon Nimmo would be my top target overall, Corey Dickerson would be my top target in free agency

If Hader is traded to the Mets, I would insist on Nimmo being a part of that deal. He has elite OBP skills. Sign Castellanos to play 1B and rotate Braun from LF to 1B depending on matchups.

Heck, who cares about defense, just play Castellanos back at 3B!

CF Cain

RF Nimmo

LF Yelich

3B Castellanos

2B Hiura

1B Braun

SS Urias

C Narvaez

:devil :devil :devil

Make it McNeil. He's played left field, and would be a better option, IMO. Put him in Miller Park, and watch him erupt. If the Crew adds Castellanos, then McNeil slides to third.

Archived