Brewer Fanatic

Kyle Seager

You don't think that going from Seattle (.738 home OPS last year) to Milwaukee will help boost his offensive output?

For the record I said I would have spent money on Moustakas over the Seager trade proposed...if those were the options. I wouldn't do either...just saying if I was spending $15mil I would have gotten Moustakas.

Would it? Sure, but as I pointed out I am not entirely sure he actually bounced back. Kind of hiding his poor play the majority of the year with a fluke hot streak that doesn't indicate his truer production level.

This is why I try to go for some sort of "go big" move.

Like this:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-18554/

Brewers get:

OF Haniger

RHP Dunn

LHP Sheffield

3B Seager

Mariners get:

OF Lutz

RHP Burnes

SS Turang

Or this:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-18555/

Brewers get:

OF Haniger

RHP Dunn

LHP Sheffield

3B Seager

Mariner get:

LHP Hader

I just posted in the rotation thread about how Burnes is our best shot at adding a TOR starter in 2020. So I’m not willing to sell low on him atm. If you can swap him out with Peralta then I’m in.

As for the Hader trade, his value would be completely wasted going to Seattle now. Why sell the farm for a top tier receiver when you are suppose to be in the middle of a rebuild? Teams who are looking to contend now will be the ones interested in buying high on his right now.

• 2 months later...
I still think we should have seen a Peralta for Seager, + significant cash deal earlier this off-season.

It is for this reason, and many others, that I am glad that David Stearns runs this team, and not random message board posters.

:)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I would have been good with trading for Seager, but yeah, I don't know why we would be offering up Peralta. I would much rather just take on his whole salary and give up far less. Not my money, though.

I still think we should have seen a Peralta for Seager, + significant cash deal earlier this off-season.

It is for this reason, and many others, that I am glad that David Stearns runs this team, and not random message board posters.

Absolutely agree with this point. That said, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. The way you dug your heels in two years ago, if you were running the team Christian Yelich would never have seen a Brewer uniform and probably be a Cardinal.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Absolutely agree with this point. That said, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. The way you dug your heels in two years ago, if you were running the team Christian Yelich would never have seen a Brewer uniform and probably be a Cardinal.

But wouldn't Turbo also be one of those random message board posters who he's glad doesn't run the team? I took his post as showing appreciation for David Stearns.

But wouldn't Turbo also be one of those random message board posters who he's glad doesn't run the team? I took his post as showing appreciation for David Stearns.

lol yes, I'm glad I don't run the team, as a random message board poster... Yes, it was praise for David Stearns.

Also, dug my heels in? I was unhappy about who we gave up for Yelich, but certainly wasn't unhappy he was a Brewer. What do I know, I'm a random message board poster after all.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I would have been good with trading for Seager, but yeah, I don't know why we would be offering up Peralta. I would much rather just take on his whole salary and give up far less. Not my money, though.

I would rather not give up Peralta or take on Seager's salary. At this time neither makes any sense. Now if Seattle would take a Lutz-Ray-Erceg type pkg. and pay down 1/2 Seager's salary, I'd be fine with the move. It won't happen, but Seattle may get desperate to move him towards the deadline and who knows?

If Arcia's offensive turnaround is for real, then Seagar is someone I'm willing to pass on now.

Of course, we have no idea what the postponement of the season will do for offensive performance or pitching performance.

Maybe a lot of time to review tape...

• 5 months later...

Kyle Seager has played in all 27 games (started 26 at 3B) for the Mariners this year and in 110 at bats is currently slashing .301 BA / .391 OBP / .548 SLG / .939 OPS.

He is the only third baseman on the trade market that has a chance to be a middle of the order bat. He is under control through next season (has a team option for 2022). The Mariners will likely have to send cash along with him in order to move him, but the rest of the potential 3B market seems pretty barren at this point even for the upcoming offseason.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Unless the Mariners are paying down a lot of his contract and not expecting much in return I dont see us making a move for him. Remember that we cut payroll last offseason and that was with the expectation that we would fill the park with fans every night. No team in baseball was more hurt than the Brewers financially by the inability to have fans in the stands.

From a pure baseball perspective Seager makes perfect sense with his contract being short term and the Mariners probably being happy to just get rid of him. Unfortunately I do not see ownership giving the ok to add a big salary especially under the current circumstances.

Yes, the Mariners would obviously need to send a significant amount of cash in any deal they make involving Seager. Yes, it’s a low likelihood the Brewers will make this move (as is almost every trade target we discuss). The unknown of how next season will potentially be impacted also does likely make owners less willing to take on significant salary risk. That’s part of the reason I don’t have much hope the Brewers will make a run at any top tier free agents this off-season.

Regarding Seager, it isn’t quite as far fetched from a financial standpoint as some think. Seager’s remaining salary in 2020 is about $3.75 million. Remember, the Brewers saved around $5.2 million this year just on Cain’s decision to opt out. For 2021, Seager is owed $18.5 million. There is a team option on Seager’s contract for 2022 that would be more than $15 million if picked up, and the buyout is currently listed between $0-$3 million which must include some sort of vesting clauses.

If the Mariners were willing to include around $12 million in a deal involving Seager, than it would look something like this...

Brewers receive:

Kyle Seager

$12 million

Mariners receive:

2-3 mid tier prospects

In that scenario the Brewers would get Kyle Seager for the remainder of this season and all of next for around $10 million total (maybe slightly more if the team option buyout vests). That looks more appealing than the $5 million per season they gave guys like Smoak and Sogard this past season ($5 million with the buyouts factored in). As I stated earlier, there will likely be no solutions at the 3B this offseason, unless they somehow wanted to try to workout a free agent contract with 36-year old Justin Turner.

Seager also has an option for 2022 that says if he is traded the option becomes player option that has a value of $15 million. That would have to be figured in to any money sent to Milwaukee. He is 32 right now but having a productive season. If the Mariners paid down enough it would seem something could be worked out. I agree with Eye Black that there is little to hope for in the Brewers system at 3B unless they move Urias there.

Seager also has an option for 2022 that says if he is traded the option becomes player option that has a value of $15 million.

I forgot he had that type of clause in his contract, so that likely torpedoes that idea.

Archived