Brewer Fanatic

Rendon to Angels - 7 yrs / $245 mil

wibadgers23

Same financial deal as what Stephen Strasburg received.

I really like Rendon, this is one of those instances where I wish the team I rooted for had some prayer of throwing out a contract like this to an elite lineup changing player.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

So Rendon is going to be making more than double what Moose got in AAV.

This year's market is insane. The majority of the Brewers' acquisitions may just come via trade. Of course, there are still a lot of middle and lower level free agents out there, and with all the high-dollar deals going around, and teams already looking to make cuts to get under the luxury tax, there will likely be value deals out there to be had as we get into January and February.

Just wonder where all that money that the Brewers cleared off the books this season will end up... I had myself talked into either Strasburg or Rendon.

Stupid self.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Thinking any offer to Yelich at this point would need to be near a 7/$200M extension. He’s still owed $41M over the next 3 years.

In all honesty, that won't get it done.

At this point, it might be better to trade him either now, or next season.

Just can't see us handing out a 245 million contract...………………………………………………..EVER!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Tweet Link...

Three highest paid #Angels hitters for 2020?

Trout $37.7M

Rendon $35M

Pujols $29M

Three highest paid #Angels pitchers for 2020?

Bundy $5.2M

Heaney $5M

Robles $3.75M

Meanwhile Shohei Ohtani will make around $700K.

Currently our three highest paid pitchers for 2020 are paid less than the Angels.

Just wonder where all that money that the Brewers cleared off the books this season will end up... I had myself talked into either Strasburg or Rendon.

Stupid self.

Plenty of places to spend a lot of money, ie Donaldson or Ryu. Just don't talk yourself into those guys either because its highly, highly unlikely to happen.

I don't get why any Brewers fan would want them to sign one of these contracts. It would likely ruin the franchise for the latter half of the deal, and it would actually make the team worse for 2020 by tying all of our resources up in one player while other holes remain.

Aren't we supposed to be paying Prince Fielder like $30 million this year still? :laughing

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Thinking any offer to Yelich at this point would need to be near a 7/$200M extension. He’s still owed $41M over the next 3 years.

Just can't see us handing out a 245 million contract...………………………………………………..EVER!

I didn't see a $100 million contract either. Then Braun signed one in 2011.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

7/200 on an extension for Yelich sounds pretty close. He's younger and more valuable than Rendon, but 3 years out from free agency you're obviously expecting a discount. So whether Yelich would want to extend this far out or whether the Brewers would want to extend this far out remains to be seen.

I don't get why any Brewers fan would want them to sign one of these contracts. It would likely ruin the franchise for the latter half of the deal, and it would actually make the team worse for 2020 by tying all of our resources up in one player while other holes remain.

Aren't we supposed to be paying Prince Fielder like $30 million this year still? :laughing

I'm not so sure on this one. Think it might end up being ok, relatively speaking.

Actually, if the 7/200 were to supplant the current contract, it's possible. Could pay him $25m/yr in years 1-3 (substantial raise of $34m) and roughly $125m over the last 4 years.

7/200 on an extension for Yelich sounds pretty close. He's younger and more valuable than Rendon, but 3 years out from free agency you're obviously expecting a discount. So whether Yelich would want to extend this far out or whether the Brewers would want to extend this far out remains to be seen.

He did that once. Can't see him, now established as 10x the player and watching guys get paid, doing it again.

Yelich is all but gone after this contract. That is why now was the time for us to spend the money and provide additional support that would hopefully get us a World Series. Similar to how the Packers were always a key piece away that prevented them from winning additional Super Bowls while they had Fabre and Rodgers. They team is competitive, so it brings out the fans, but eventually these solo superstars can’t carry the team the entire season.

I’m in the same boat, if we are going cheap mode (and I’m not saying we are), I’d rather trade Yelich now and hopefully make a strong run in another 4-5 years than just be competitive but not really have a real chance for the next two years.

Just wonder where all that money that the Brewers cleared off the books this season will end up...

Freeing up money for an offer to Yelich?

I'm not joking there - this would make sense to me. How else does a team with the budget of the Brewers make an offer to a player who - but for an injury at the end of the season - had a chance at back-to-back MVP awards? And it makes sense to make the offer now. Salaries (for the elite players) are going up, not down and the longer you wait, the less his value in a trade if he rejects it and decides that he'd rather wait for free agency (at which point the Brewers chances of resigning him are probably zero).

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Trading Yelich now is really insane and speaks to how far the team has come. Had he not been hurt, we don't know how far they go, but they're off back-to-back playoff seasons. Yet we have to trade him now to...rebuild? It's been a good team for 3 years, there's no reason to think they can't compete with Yelich and the same methodology next year.

The time to trade him is 2 years away if ever. They weren't a superstar away from competing in 2018, and the 2019 champ barely squeaked past them. I like Rendon, think the contract is ok relatively speaking, but we can do this without those contracts.

Archived