Brewer Fanatic

Josh Lindblom signs with Brewers - 3 years / $9.125 mil [Latest: Lindblom DFAd]

torts

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it aged perfectly. This loser should be DFA’d. Problem is, what are the alternatives?

every team needs a mop-up guy that can eat innings. I'd hope he doesnt pitch any high leverage innings, but he's fine for the role he is in for the money he makes.

No, today is the perfect example of why that is not ok. A long reliver sometimes needs to make an emergency start or enter in the first inning when a starter is injured. Giving up an additional 8 runs over less than 4 innings is something most minor league pitchers at any level could do if put in a big league game. When people say eat innings, they don't mean pitch 3 innings at a time and give up an unlimited amount of runs.

Actually it aged perfectly. This loser should be DFA’d. Problem is, what are the alternatives?

every team needs a mop-up guy that can eat innings. I'd hope he doesnt pitch any high leverage innings, but he's fine for the role he is in for the money he makes.

It took him 80 pitches just to through 3 and 2/3rds and this is not unusual for him. To eat up innings you need to be able to get outs. Lindblom isn't just bad, he's inefficient.

I admit it. I thought it was a good low risk signing at the time.

I still think it was a good low risk signing. The upside was clear. The downside has basically been realized, and it doesn’t really hurt that bad.

I still think it was a good low risk signing. The upside was clear. The downside has basically been realized, and it doesn’t really hurt that bad.

I'm still not sure why if they didn't want 3 years of control they couldn't have structured it in a way like Jeffress got in his last deal with us where we did 1 year followed by two team options, even if the first year and total potential was a little more than the actual deal.

It's not so much that the money is the end of the world but I think in a lot of cases the dead money causes teams to carry players longer than they normally would or should.

Let me clear up some confusion. You made the comment Wednesday night. The very next inning pitched by a starter he gets hurt, which at this point defacto puts lindblom in the rotation. [sarcasm]Clearly you jinxed us and should be burned at the stake for your curse.[/sarcasm]

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I'm still not sure why if they didn't want 3 years of control they couldn't have structured it in a way like Jeffress got in his last deal with us where we did 1 year followed by two team options, even if the first year and total potential was a little more than the actual deal.

It's not so much that the money is the end of the world but I think in a lot of cases the dead money causes teams to carry players longer than they normally would or should.

After being the Cy Young of Korea, there was some buzz about Lindblom in the 2019 offseason which probably required a 3 year guarantee to get him. The Brewers always seem to have a pitcher in their pen making decent coin for a reliever and sucking on the field: Matt Albers, Neftali Felix, Jonathon Broxton, Axford, etc. Lindblom can pencil his name in with those folks. Best case scenario they don’t need him except to pitch games where a losing outcome is no longer in doubt when they call his number

The Brewers should be able to outright Lindblom to Nashville when their season starts, right?

I know he's out of options, but he's not going to be claimed on waivers (and if someone does, Godspeed). So they should be able to get him off the 40 and get him down to Nashville and at least keep him in the organization to see if he can figure it out there, right?

Don't know what is in his contract or if the contract details can overwrite MLB rules. Lindblom has been outrighted before and can refuse an outright but according to MLB rules he would forfeit any remaining guaranteed money if he refused.

Lindblom is one of only 119 pitchers to throw at least 50 IP since 2021. That's about four guys per team.

Sure, the results haven't been great. His 145 ERA- ranks 113th out of those 119 pitchers. But it could be worse. MadBum has a 166 ERA- since 2020 with 75 million left on his contract.

ERA is also not the most predictive indicator over a sample of only 56 innings. FIP & xFIP are typically much better true talent estimators over a sample so small. By FIP-/xFIP- Lindblom has been much closer to average with 114/113 marks.

After 2019, I went through the pitching leaderboards to try & come up with statistical guidelines for a #1, #2, #3 pitcher etc. Here is what I found...

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=39386&p=1281201

Linblom's FIP-/xFIP- marks fall within the range of a number 4 starter. If he pitches closer to that level moving forward that's a pretty good mop up guy. If he pitches closer to his ERA- moving forward, well, that's why he's eating low leverage innings as the mop up guy.

If he pitches closer to his ERA- moving forward, well, that's why he's eating low leverage innings as the mop up guy.

I guess for you 11 outs is "eating" innings, but to me that's another failure to go along with his regular performance. Counsel had to go with Robertson to save his bullpen because the garbage time pitcher couldn't even make it deep enough into the game to save the bullpen.

He's 34 YO, hasn't had any real success in MLB and his success has been in AA level talent at an age level that he should be the Cy Young of double A. His repertoire is crap and he couldn't throw decent batting practice for a little league team.

Sure, the results haven't been great. His 145 ERA- ranks 113th out of those 119 pitchers. But it could be worse. MadBum has a 166 ERA- since 2020 with 75 million left on his contract.

ERA is also not the most predictive indicator over a sample of only 56 innings.

Yes and ERA is so noisy under those conditions it's impossible to make a distinction between any of the pitchers at the bottom of that list as a single hit that was ruled an error could move someone from last to 110th place.

The only thing you can say is that he is in a small group of the worst starters in baseball to get at least 50 IP over the last year+. Is it "possible" it could be worse. Yes, we saw that yesterday.

Why do Brewer fans rush to support the worst players in baseball over and over again making Gollum's fixation with precious seem like a passing fancy. Yuni Betancourt, Arcia and Lindblom. Talk about a group of crap...

Milwaukee Brewers @Brewers

2m

RHP Josh Lindblom has been placed the 10-day injured list with right knee effusion.

OF Corey Ray (#3) has been recalled from the Alternate Training Site and would be making his MLB debut.

Ray is from Chicago.

Milwaukee Brewers @Brewers

2m

RHP Josh Lindblom has been placed the 10-day injured list with right knee effusion.

OF Corey Ray (#3) has been recalled from the Alternate Training Site and would be making his MLB debut.

Ray is from Chicago.

Puke. I hated that draft pick the second I heard it. I wish him nothing but the best and hope he performs, but that was such an awful pick. I’ll never get over how they passed on Puk and was clamoring for him when he was available to us. A lefty that threw around 100 and was arguably the 1-1 pick in the draft and we passed on him when he was somehow still available at 5. His floor at the time was basically an effective MLB bullpen arm.

Lindblom is one of only 119 pitchers to throw at least 50 IP since 2021. That's about four guys per team.

ERA is also not the most predictive indicator over a sample of only 56 innings. FIP & xFIP are typically much better true talent estimators over a sample so small. By FIP-/xFIP- Lindblom has been much closer to average with 114/113 marks.

After 2019, I went through the pitching leaderboards to try & come up with statistical guidelines for a #1, #2, #3 pitcher etc. Here is what I found...

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=39386&p=1281201

Linblom's FIP-/xFIP- marks fall within the range of a number 4 starter. If he pitches closer to that level moving forward that's a pretty good mop up guy. If he pitches closer to his ERA- moving forward, well, that's why he's eating low leverage innings as the mop up guy.

So you are supporting Lindblom's position on the roster then?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
With Garcia having back stiffness it makes sense to have Ray up for a couple days.

That and bringing up another bat until you need another starter. He'll most likely go back down when Anderson's turn in the rotation comes back up.