Brewer Fanatic

David Price

With the prices in free agency being much higher than most people thought, the Brewers may need to trade for a quality starting pitcher to fill out their rotation.

With the Red Sox open time moving Price, would the Brewers have any interest in him?

Even last year, Price had a solid year. His FIP of 3.62 is over a half a run lower than his ERA of 4.28 His FIP the last four seasons are 3.60, 3.64, 4.02, and 3.62. He still has very good numbers and would be a nice addition to our rotation.

If the Red Sox pay $45 million of his remaining $96 million, with the Brewers picking up the remaining $51 million ($17 million AAV), would you consider it? If the Red Sox are paying down that much money, I’m not sure if they would include someone like Benintendi, but if you could get Price and Benintendi, I would have real interest in making the trade.

Benintendi is arbitration eligible for the first time, projected to get $4.9 million, and has 3 years of control remaining.

If the Brewers receive Price, $45 million, and Benintendi, what would the Brewers be looking at giving up to bring these two guys in?

3 years, 96 million for Price.

How much would the Red Sox have to pay before we could even consider it?

50%, then it would still be 3 years 48 million.

Not happening.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Benintendi and 15m cash would be the price I would need to take on Price. Lowers his AAV to 27m per year and locks in our OF for the next 3 years.

Cain - CF

Yelich - RF

Hiura - 2B

Benintendi - LF

Braun - 1B

Navarez - C

??? - 3B

Urias - SS

Woodruff

Price

Houser

Lauer

FA

Benintendi and 15m cash would be the price I would need to take on Price. Lowers his AAV to 27m per year and locks in our OF for the next 3 years.

Cain - CF

Yelich - RF

Hiura - 2B

Benintendi - LF

Braun - 1B

Navarez - C

??? - 3B

Urias - SS

Woodruff

Price

Houser

Lauer

FA

*The price to take him on with nothing of consequence of return*

It's not my money, but I would do it.

If it were 3 years $48 million as Turbo said, and the Red Sox were to include Benintendi (who I think could breakout in Milwaukee like Yelich) and another piece (Chavis), I would rather have him than Keuchel who may get about the same in FA.

Have no clue what the Brewers would have to move for this, and what the Red Sox would be asking, but it would obviously not include Hader.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Not happening.

The question was whether or not you would consider it. Not if the Brewers are going to do it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's not my money, but I would do it.

If it were 3 years $48 million as Turbo said, and the Red Sox were to include Benintendi (who I think could breakout in Milwaukee like Yelich) and another piece (Chavis), I would rather have him than Keuchel who may get about the same in FA.

Have no clue what the Brewers would have to move for this, and what the Red Sox would be asking, but it would obviously not include Hader.

This is what I’m thinking too. If you could get his AAV down in the $16-$20 million range, it is definitely manageable. With the prices guys are getting in free agency, it wouldn’t surprise me if Price would get around $20 million per year if he was a free agent this offseason. And especially if he continues to pitch like a high end #2 like he has the last 4 years with the Red Sox, he would be well worth it for us.

Woodruff, Price, Houser, and Lauer is not a bad start to a rotation at all. Bring in someone like Taijuan Walker or Michael Wacha to slot in behind Price and we would have a very solid rotation.

If I'm the Red Sox, I'd see Benintendi as a key piece moving forward (even with the sub-par year in 2019) and wouldn't be interested in moving him.

Playing GM for Boston, this would be my first offer to Milwaukee:

Milwaukee gets:

David Price

Michael Chavis

Thad Ward

5 million dollars paid in 2021

10 million dollars paid in 2022

Red Sox get:

Carlos Rodriguez

I think the Trade Value website has Price as a bit more of a negative than he really is. They have -60 million, I'd put him more around -47.5 million.

If I'm the Red Sox, I'd see Benintendi as a key piece moving forward (even with the sub-par year in 2019) and wouldn't be interested in moving him.

Milwaukee gets:

David Price

Michael Chavis

Thad Ward

Red Sox get:

Carlos Rodriguez

I think the Trade Value website has Price as a bit more of a negative than he really is. They have -60 million, I'd put him more around -47.5 million.

$27mil a year to have Price and Chavez? If Price reverts to his 2018 self this may be decent, but if he doesn't I am not confident that would look too pretty. Chavez wasn't good last year and was a decent prospect. I imagine you plan for him to be at 3B and his track record there doesn't look very pretty. Thad Ward? Okay I guess...but that isn't a huge needle mover to me.

Better off going out and signing a 3B and a starter.

Three years (age 34, 35, 36) of David Price for $48 million? Absolutely. Of course it's not without risk (no signing is) but where the Brewer payroll is now and their need for an established starter?

Cole Hamels just signed a one year deal at age 36 for $18 million and was paid $43.5 million over his age 34 and 35 seasons.

Milwaukee gets:

David Price

Michael Chavis

Thad Ward

Red Sox get:

Carlos Rodriguez

I agree but the rumors are that they would move him to move Price.

In your trade scenario, it appears the Red Sox would only send $15m, essentially leaving the Brewers on the hook for 3 years $81m. No way the Brewers do this unless the Red Sox are including Benintendi AND Devers to which the Red Sox likely say no.

Most realistic trade to the Brewers in my opinion, is the Red Sox trade Price, $36m and Benintendi to the Brewers for Corey Ray (or similar level prospect). Brewers have Price for 3 years $60m, Benintendi becomes the everyday LF, with Braun playing 5x a week at LF and 1B.

No way do I take Price or just about any other aging veteran with a bloated contract off the hands of any large market team, even if they include a huge chunk of their remaining deal to try and justify what the Brewers would need to pay him should they be a current FA. I don't care if they include premium prospects as well.

The only way a small market team can effectively compete with huge market teams on a consistent basis with the current financial system is by not allowing them to get off the hook they stuck themselves with by getting out from paying all of the contract amounts they themselves shelled out to players, particularly getting out from sticking them with all of that amount on their luxury tax balance sheets.

In short, the huge market teams can monopolize the premium veteran free agent market because they have the most money to burn. If a player like Price, Happ, etc. has value to the Brewers based on their current abilities and aren't completely washed up, try to pick up these guys after they get released by the huge market teams after they can't make a trade and pay them veteran league minimum while the team that releases them is still on the hook for the balance of his remaining bloated deal. Similar to what the Yankees did with Tulo last year - he made ~$550K from the Yankees, while getting paid ~$20M from the Blue Jays after they were forced to release him when no trade partners materialized. I think the Jays are still on the hook for ~$18M in 2020-2021 for him despite the fact he's retired.

I would love to get Price, Benintendi and cash for a middling prospect as a salary dump for the Red Sox. I don't care about helping them, I care about making the Brewers better and Price+ does that.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I would love to get Price, Benintendi and cash for a middling prospect as a salary dump for the Red Sox. I don't care about helping them, I care about making the Brewers better and Price+ does that.

NOT if we are on the hook for 48 million or more.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I really don't follow the AL at all. So to keep it general, you are going to have to be creative if you want to add a #2-#3 starter to this team for 2020. I have no idea if Price for his age 34-36 seasons would be that guy. But I would be willing to overpay what he would cost as a free agent today, if it means we also gain a prospect/major leaguer to boot. If that prospect was a pre-arby 3B, that is getting close to perfect.

We cleared a lot of salary, and even if we are dropping the budget, it would be affordable. The second (Wheeler, MadBum, etc) and even third tier (Lyles, Pinenda, Gibson, etc) of free agency is drying up.

I don't think it does considering what financial commitment it would still sink the Brewers into - it's not like the Red Sox are paying 100% of Price's remaining salary with that sort of trade - not to mention Benintendi's escalating arby raises that may or may not be worthwhile if his injury-marred 2019 is any indication of red flags that make him less than all star caliber.

Zach Davies and arguably Chase Anderson were better pitchers last season than David Price. Price has also only logged an average of 120 IP the last 3 seasons, and has three more seasons left on his deal. His days considered to be an actual Ace caliber pitcher in terms of MLB production are likely behind him. No thank you very much. Honestly I'd rather just hand that rotation spot to Burnes or Peralta and keep the powder dry for a FA like Keuchel or better trade target.

Not happening.

AAV of $16MM is actually very doable for the Brewers unless we go crazy and sign Ryu or Donaldson which doesn't seem likely.

You are talking about Price like he's just terrible. He is still a pretty effective pitcher. $48M doesn't buy what it used to. In this market, you'd be really hard pressed to find a better deal than 3/48 for a pitcher with the resume and numbers of Price, much less pick up extra for him. 3 years is not a terribly long commitment.

You are talking about Price like he's just terrible. He is still a pretty effective pitcher. $48M doesn't buy what it used to. In this market, you'd be really hard pressed to find a better deal than 3/48 for a pitcher with the resume and numbers of Price, much less pick up extra for him. 3 years is not a terribly long commitment.

Three years is how long we will likely have Yelich. Not a bad move imo

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?p=1278996#p1278996

I stand by my comments that Benintendi is overrated - in three full seasons his career OPS is just under .800, which is nothing special for a corner OF. He's a product of the East Coast prospect hype machine. Nice player but he was only ~2 WAR player last year and he is now arbitration eligible so he won't be much of a bargain. The Red Sox will need to include more than Benintendi to move Price, either in young major league ready talent or in cash.

While taking on Price will be a big financial commitment, if the Brewers do, I think they can fill several holes.

I'd be interested willing if:

They got him down to 60/3 (eat 36 mil min)

I got another 15 mil in prospect value.

Net cost 15 mil a year. I see that as reasonable.

Mata Flores take away some of their past INT spending

They'd have to be pretty desperate for me to play along. That's the point though.

Three years is how long we will likely have Yelich. Not a bad move imo

Not to derail topic, I would be planning for Yelich for two more years. We can't keep him in 2022 and only get a pick back as compensation. He will be traded at the deadline in 2021 or at the end of that season. Hopefully the plan isn't to just try and win because Yelich is here. Develop the Rays plan of being good consistently, and hope for better luck to get to playoffs, go further.

Archived