Brewer Fanatic

Gerrit Cole to Yankees - 9 years / $324 million

Eye Black

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Per Heyman
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How gross. Why do teams like the Brewers even exist.

It is sort of amazing to think during the life of that contract he may make nearly the same amount as what three seasons worth of the entire Brewers roster will get paid.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

O.O

You know what, forget it. I'm that type of nut job that wants both hands tied behind my back anyway. Makes the victory sweeter.

We have a good team and we might not have the biggest bankroll but who cares... run the team wisely and let's get 1. It pathetic to spend like the Cubs and only get 1. With an imbalance like this MKE should never get one statistically speaking. Let's just earn 1.

At least he's not on the Cubs or Cardinals.

The Brewers aren't alone in being unable/unwilling to sign him. Most teams are out of the market for the top free agents. Anthony Rendon isn't coming here, either.

My worry with all of these high priced deals is that they might also be priced out on Bumgarner, Ryu and Keuchel, too. Then they're left cobbling together Gio and Tanner Roark and other Suppans and Garzas.

What’s crazy is that Cole had an absurd 2019 season but prior to that he was a very inconsistent pitcher, so much that I wouldn’t have even considered him a true Ace, especially during his Pirates years.

And the trade return the Pirates received for Cole seems even more comically bad now.

My Goodness.

I never root for injuries but when I see these insane deals that the Brewers just cannot compete with and make it, it's hard not to hope these deals absolutely blow up for whoever makes them.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

High time we learn to draft and develop our own Aces.

Exactly. That's the only way a team like the Brewers is going to stand a chance.

I'm inclined to maybe sign one back-end starter like Gio or Miley, and otherwise hope that the crew of Woodruff, Houser, Lauer, Burnes, Peralta and Faria can make a jump. It's time to get a rotation of guys who are going to be around awhile. Those screaming that the Brewers "need" to sign a legit #2 are going to be sorely disappointed in this offseason, I'm afraid.

High time we learn to draft and develop our own Aces.

Which is why we can't afford to trade guys like Small, Ashby, Rasmussen, etc. for offense. We just can't sign the top FA pitchers.

We have to develop our own, and that is something we just have never been able to do consistently.

I know the Yankees take a lot of the blame for signings like this, however, they are not breaking any rules. This is a MLB issue, not a Yankees issue.

It's broken, and needs to be fixed, but that will never be allowed by the player's union, or the large market teams.

Basically, we are screwed, now, always and forever.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I never root for injuries but when I see these insane deals that the Brewers just cannot compete with and make it, it's hard not to hope these deals absolutely blow up for whoever makes them.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, Cole has earned this contract with his performance. The players percentage of baseball revenue is shrinking by the year while the owners make a ton of money. If we pay for the product the money is there for these guys to make. I don't begrudge these guys these huge contracts.

It sucks that a smaller Market team like the Brewers can't afford a guy like this, but it just kind of is what it is. I certainly don't see wishing injury on a guy just because he's getting paid what the market will pay him. He's got a skill that will let him do something that very few people can do. Good for him.

What’s crazy is that Cole had an absurd 2019 season but prior to that he was a very inconsistent pitcher, so much that I wouldn’t have even considered him a true Ace, especially during his Pirates years.

And the trade return the Pirates received for Cole seems even more comically bad now.

My Goodness.

I've thought the same thing but never say it out loud.

Archived