Brewer Fanatic

Didi Gregorious to Phillies, 1-year/$14M

Pretty surprised he didn't do better than that in this market. But, we don't know that he would have come here for 1/14 too.

Yea, I'm sure people here will be mad, but no ones knows what influenced his decision.

It sounds like reuniting with Joe Girardi had something to do with his decision.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

1 year $14m

That's a pretty good deal for the Phillies. basically replacing Cesar Hernandez and Maikel Franco with Didi and Kingery probably is a small upgrade, but not mind blowing.

Maybe they'll add another bat somewhere in there to help supplement it and they have some positional versatility with the current group of Segura, Kingery, and Gregorious.

Seems early to be signing the one year deal. A fair price, maybe a little team friendly. If they get last year's injury-riddled player they overpaid by double. If they get the previous couple of years' player he's worth a lot more.

Good signing for the Phillies. I’m thinking reuniting with Joe G was a big factor in Didi choosing Philly. I think he will bounce back and have a 3+ WAR year. The bonus is he can be tagged with a QO if he does perform well which ensures you get something in return for him if he does leave in 2021.

14 mil per was as predicted. 1 year makes you wonder how many teams are worried about the elbow. He took a prove it deal pretty fast. I get the interest in him as a bounce back candidate but 14 mil just seems like a lot to me. Plus power SS (but we have options there) he's not anything fancy OBP wise at 3b and that OPS is not special for a 3b either. Seems more valuable at SS than anything else and I don't see the fit.

Seems early to be signing the one year deal. A fair price, maybe a little team friendly. If they get last year's injury-riddled player they overpaid by double. If they get the previous couple of years' player he's worth a lot more.

He probably wants to bet on himself after a down year coming off Tommy John surgery. If he rebounds, he's going to get a nice 3 or 4 year deal.

14 mil per was as predicted. 1 year makes you wonder how many teams are worried about the elbow. He took a prove it deal pretty fast. I get the interest in him as a bounce back candidate but 14 mil just seems like a lot to me. Plus power SS (but we have options there) he's not anything fancy OBP wise at 3b and that OPS is not special for a 3b either. Seems more valuable at SS than anything else and I don't see the fit.

It was suggested Didi wanted the 1 yr deal to not only bet upon himself doing better as FA after 2202, but to also avoid the influx of Free Agent SS onto the market AFTER the 2021 season (Lindor/ C Seager/ C Correa).

Not sure I'd have liked a multi-year deal at $14m AAV considering the injury comeback and 2019 performance, but for one year I'd be aboard. Although it would also depend on other moves; I'd prefer getting an actual 3B instead of having (likely) Urias there.

I'd have done this without thinking twice since it's a one year deal. Chances are to come here he'd have needed a few mil more to make up for location and not a familiar manager in Girardi. Then it gets questionable if the 14 turns into 18-20.

I'd have done this without thinking twice since it's a one year deal. Chances are to come here he'd have needed a few mil more to make up for location and not a familiar manager in Girardi. Then it gets questionable if the 14 turns into 18-20.

But we have no way of knowing if that were actually true...

Lots of speculation assumes this is how it works, but we don't KNOW it for sure.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived