Brewer Fanatic

Japanese free agent Yoshitomo Tsutsugo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-hot-stove-japanese-slugger-yoshitomo-tsutsugo-will-be-posted-for-mlb-teams-this-offseason/amp/

Left Handed power hitting Tsutsugo can play 1B-3B-OF

Does this guy not fit the Brewers needs perfectly?

Stearns was ahead of the rest of the league when he brought Eric Thames back to MLB from Asian as a free agent.

Says he has “military style strike zone judgement”. Compares to Kyle Schwarber. Smack in middle of his bsseball prime at 28 years old.

Could this guy be a surprise target for the Brew Crew?

Thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-hot-stove-japanese-slugger-yoshitomo-tsutsugo-will-be-posted-for-mlb-teams-this-offseason/amp/

Left Handed power hitting Tsutsugo can play 1B-3B-OF

Does this guy not fit the Brewers needs perfectly?

Stearns was ahead of the rest of the league when he brought Eric Thames back to MLB from Asian as a free agent.

Says he has “military style strike zone judgement”. Compares to Kyle Schwarber. Smack in middle of his bsseball prime at 28 years old.

Could this guy be a surprise target for the Brew Crew?

Thoughts?

I'm all for getting him to play 1B for the Brewers. He's only 28, so he should be in his prime. Get it done Stearns.

Just wondering, do you think Huira can play 1B too?

I'm sure Huira COULD play firstbase if given the chance. However, I think with his small stature, he'd be a small target with very small reach/wingspan for an ideal firstbaseman. Therefore, I believe the Brewers see him as their 2B moving forward and are committed to him making defensive improvements at the keystone going into 2020 season.

I don't think they will move him to get Urias/Arcia/Didi/etc into the starting lineup.

If Brewers sign Didi, he will either play 3B or they will send Urias to AAA for the start of 2020 and have Arcia be a bench player.

I think Free Agents Tsutsugo or Justin Smoak make some sense for the Brew Crew's 1B void. Both have on base skills and power. I prefer Tsutsugo for his potential position versitility however. And the fact that he's 5 years younger and still in his baseball prime.

I wouldn't mind this as an option to fill our 1B needs, but is this guy going to be any better than Thames? If not, then why don't we just try to bring ET back on a cheaper deal for 2020? As we've seen in past years, the market for slugging 1B isn't typically robust - so it seems like it could be doable to bring ET back, and get similar (if not better) production out of him than this Tsutsugo guy. Am I way off base in this thinking?

Also, I'm a bit concerned that this guy's numbers have fallen each of the past 4 years, and the article also says that he's more suited for OF than 1B.

I wouldn't mind this as an option to fill our 1B needs, but is this guy going to be any better than Thames? If not, then why don't we just try to bring ET back on a cheaper deal for 2020? As we've seen in past years, the market for slugging 1B isn't typically robust - so it seems like it could be doable to bring ET back, and get similar (if not better) production out of him than this Tsutsugo guy. Am I way off base in this thinking?

Also, I'm a bit concerned that this guy's numbers have fallen each of the past 4 years, and the article also says that he's more suited for OF than 1B.

Yeah, but who doesn't like a shiny new toy? lol

In all seriousness, I think you are probably right that Tsutsugo profiles to put up a similar stat line as Eric Thames provides. The difference is that we know exactly what we would be getting with Thames, while with Tsutsugo their is more risk, but possibly more reward as well.

So if you're a gambler, Tsutsugo interests you and if you are someone who likes the safe bet, Thames would be for you.

Also to consider, Tsutsugo I'm sure would be looking for a 2-3 year deal, whereas Thames will be only receiving one year offers.

I don't know that much about him, but in the fangraphs free agent write up on him they said he's pretty much a DH/OF only option.

"He’s defensively limited to left field or DH. Tsutsugo has some experience at third base, but he’s a lumbering infielder with below-average hands, which means he should only play there in an emergency. The bad hands make first base kind of dicey, too."

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-top-50-free-agents/

Here's a more detailed write up that is a little older:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-top-mlb-prospects-of-asia/

Also of note: the deadline to reach a deal for Tsutsugo is 12/19

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/japanese-slugger-yoshitomo-tsutsugo-posted-mlb-npb-yokohama-baystars.html

Archived