Brewer Fanatic

ronny rodríguez claimed off waivers from detroit

djoctagone

infielder ronny rodríguez has been claimed off waivers from detroit.

it appears that he has two minor league options remaining, as he did not spend 20 days total optioned in 2018.

he has never been outrighted to the minor leagues.

Rodriguez strikes me as basically a cheaper Hernan Perez with an option. A lot of power last year in a part time role, but a low average and OBP. Can play anywhere on the infield.

So, in other words, an ideal Brewer ;)

Makes sense he is Hernan Perez 2.0 especially since Perez came from Detroit as well. Unfortunate for guys like Saladino and Perez but they lose a lot of value when they no longer have options.

Rodriguez strikes me as basically a cheaper Hernan Perez with an option. A lot of power last year in a part time role, but a low average and OBP. Can play anywhere on the infield.

So, in other words, an ideal Brewer ;)

Makes sense he is Hernan Perez 2.0 especially since Perez came from Detroit as well. Unfortunate for guys like Saladino and Perez but they lose a lot of value when they no longer have options.

and when they reach arbitration eligibility.

I can't imagine what Stearns sees in Ronny Rodriguez. .221/.254, the minors are loaded with this kind of guy. He can play a lot of positions and he has some pop when he makes contact, so I guess it's to fill the San Antonio roster.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I can't imagine what Stearns sees in Ronny Rodriguez. .221/.254, the minors are loaded with this kind of guy. He can play a lot of positions and he has some pop when he makes contact, so I guess it's to fill the San Antonio roster.

he must be marginally better than what else we have. Seems like this time of year, he makes several claims like this and then lets one or two of them go when someone else better comes along.

This might be the exact sort of guy they outright/waive/release later due to another move. I'm not sure what value he has if he's not good enough to be kept on the absolute worst teams in MLB.

Of course I wouldn't complain if he plays well above his previous level and proves my skepticism wrong.

His minor league numbers are nice. Guess I'll have to call him RonAAAAld to make it work. Unlike Perez, it doesn't look like his defense is anything special.

Guess this is the type of signing you make when Erceg and his barely-.700 OPS in AAA is the what's next up out of the barren farm.

He hit very well in AAA in 2018 and 2019 (.338/.365/.558 in 2018 and .320/.343/.587 in 2019) and that was in less hitter friendly International League Hasn't translated to the big leagues though his 2019 major league OPS was considerably higher than it was in 2018. His Domincan Winter League numbers aren't encouraging. Has a little pop, but his defense at SS in the minors was quite bad. Strictly a fill in type in case of injury. Isn't close to the overall player Perez has been, but has options.

Archived