Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign LHP Alex Claudio to 1 year, $1.75 million deal

He probably won't be used as heavily with the 3-batter minimum, but was still effective for the most part last season, and is great against left-handed batters.

Also announced that they have claimed Ronny Rodriguez from Detroit. He seems like a Hernan Perez clone, but at least he has options.

i am a fan of Alex, but don't see a use for him with the 3 batter minimum rule anymore.

I think it’s an important note. That it isn’t just a 3 batter minimum. It’s that or he finishes an inning. He could come in with 2 outs and only pitch to one batter.

i am a fan of Alex, but don't see a use for him with the 3 batter minimum rule anymore.

Well, it's three batters, or the end of the inning. I could see him coming in in a situation where there's runners on base with two down, and a guy like Rizzo coming up.

thanks I never saw clarity on that.

I think it’s an important note. That it isn’t just a 3 batter minimum. It’s that or he finishes an inning. He could come in with 2 outs and only pitch to one batter.

If he gets that batter out.......which hasn't always been easy fir Alex

If he gets that batter out.......which hasn't always been easy fir Alex

Actually was pretty easy if that batter was left-handed. What this will do is rescue Counsell from himself expecting Claudio to begin an inning or go multiple innings. I think the Brewers will utilize intentional walks as well.

At one year and less than $2 million I find it hard to be pissed about this one.

So they probably saved between $500K and $1M by nontendering him a week or so ago...that's a lot of hot dogs that don't need to be sold now to bolster that payroll!

It may seem insignificant in the land of $100+ million contracts, but value is value. Stearns treats overpaying for a player like Aaron Rodgers treats throwing an interception.

At one year and less than $2 million I find it hard to be pissed about this one.

So they probably saved between $500K and $1M by nontendering him a week or so ago...that's a lot of hot dogs that don't need to be sold now to bolster that payroll!

It may seem insignificant in the land of $100+ million contracts, but value is value. Stearns treats overpaying for a player like Aaron Rodgers treats throwing an interception.

I don't disagree at all - I guess my point was that it was the smart move for him to be nontendered

i have any many discussing with friends last season, I don't think he is bad, I think he was misued.

I don't think he was misused. I think the utter decimation of the bullpen due to injuries and poor performance pushed him into a role he wasn't well suited for -- but given the state of the bullpen, he was the next man up for the job.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

i have any many discussing with friends last season, I don't think he is bad, I think he was misued.

I don't think he was misused. I think the utter decimation of the bullpen due to injuries and poor performance pushed him into a role he wasn't well suited for -- but given the state of the bullpen, he was the next man up for the job.

thats sort of the same thing, he was pitching in a scenario that he was doomed to fail in. I really don't blame CC, but he was brought in to be a LOOGY to get tough lefties out and he ended up being a late inning reliever.

I like the move. Great job bringing him back. Not every reliever in our system is going to be Josh Hader. Claudio is a good LOOGY or middle relief option. I have no problem putting him in to get Votto out with a guy on 2nd and 2 outs in the 6th or 7th inning. And contrary to popular belief, he's not a terrible option to pitch the full 6th or 7th inning. It would certainly be prudent to bring in one more back end of bullpen option to ease the burden on knebel/hader. I'm not sure I want to trust Peralta or Black in that type of role just yet.

I like the move. Great job bringing him back. Not every reliever in our system is going to be Josh Hader. Claudio is a good LOOGY or middle relief option. I have no problem putting him in to get Votto out with a guy on 2nd and 2 outs in the 6th or 7th inning. And contrary to popular belief, he's not a terrible option to pitch the full 6th or 7th inning. It would certainly be prudent to bring in one more back end of bullpen option to ease the burden on knebel/hader. I'm not sure I want to trust Peralta or Black in that type of role just yet.

I know he needs to prove himself but I'm hoping Wahl can be that guy.

Love it! And we needed a LHRP in any event.

Mark this post for when Claudio proves all the jabronies wrong and returns to his 2016-17 form as a dominant deadballer.

I wonder if given his contact-heavy approach Claudio was uniquely affected by whatever tampering MLB did with the ball last year?

Could you just pull him after a batter? What is the penalty/rule? Would he have to be sent down for 15 days? If so, I could see the Brewers breaking this rule, pulling a lefty out after one batter, and just sending him to the minors since he probably is heading there anyway in the near future. Also, we all know that a pitcher could just fake injury (or real injury). Is there any rule about this on the books?

Could you just pull him after a batter? What is the penalty/rule? Would he have to be sent down for 15 days? If so, I could see the Brewers breaking this rule, pulling a lefty out after one batter, and just sending him to the minors since he probably is heading there anyway in the near future. Also, we all know that a pitcher could just fake injury (or real injury). Is there any rule about this on the books?

That doesn't seem realistic. Faking an injury could happen, probably will happen. That type of thing would only make sense for arms with options, which I'm not sure Claudio has any. And I'm not sure someone like Hader or Knebel would appreciate getting pulled after 1 or 2 batters solely because of a rule and getting sent down for 15 days.

In a big game, playoff game, a manager will pull out all the stops. He'll take any advantage to not have to have a lefty face three righties in a row. The penalty needs to be stiff enough or we will see plenty of going around this rule.

The 3 batter or end of inning minimum just reminds me of the NFL trying to institute review of PI this year. It's just a horrible idea that is doomed to fail. I realize it's very different than the PI reviews, but what I mean by it is that it's an idea trying to fix a perceived problem without even considering the multitude of unintended consequences.

Archived