Brewer Fanatic

Starling Marte

Vollbc74

Is it worth pursuing a trade for Starling Marte? Our OF would be locked in the next 2 years with Yelich/Cain/Marte and Braun shifting to 1B. Possibly add Archer as another potential plug and play piece.

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-17756/

Marte & Archer

for

Lutz, Small, & Garcia

Would add 21M to our payroll, which leaves some room for a 3B addition and another possible SP.

Marte - LF

Yelich -RF

Hiura - 2B

Braun - 1B

Navarez -C

Cain - CF

Caesar Hernandez? - 3B

Urias - SS

Woodruff

Ryu 3/51

Archer

Houser

Lauer

Puts our payroll at about 115m with a little wiggle room for another backup IF and BP help

Cueing up the Chris Archer hate in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

Hah. I fully expected some of that with this deal. Bottom line is he would be making less than a guy like Kyle Gibson and you wouldn't be relying on him to be a TOR arm.

Cueing up the Chris Archer hate in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

Hah. I fully expected some of that with this deal. Bottom line is he would be making less than a guy like Kyle Gibson and you wouldn't be relying on him to be a TOR arm.

I get it. I've always liked Archer as a fit on this team, and have wanted the Brewers to make a play on him for years. Those rumors have made him a pretty polarizing guy on this forum, though.

I think a lot of the anti-Archer stuff stemmed from knowing how much it would take to get him (a ton), and not feeling he was worth that. Judging by how much it took the Pirates to pry him away from the Rays and how that has turned out for them so far, I'd say those misgivings have been validated.

But if you can buy low on him now and just not count on him to be an ace but dream on a bounceback that could possibly occur, and get a high caliber OF to boot? Absolutely, sign me up.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I would for sure do that deal. I don't know if the Pirates would though. They gave up a ton to get Archer so I don't know if they would be willing to turn around and give him up at a big loss just yet.

New GM. He should have no attachment to Archer.

Edit: Reading about their new GM I found this tidbit. Looks like Brewer fans aren't alone!

Pittsburgh not only has fewer people, but the fervor of the baseball fans doesn’t come close to matching those of the ones in Boston. The fan base is angry with Nutting, believing he could easily spend more money and still turn a tidy profit.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think I'd rather keep the prospects and just sign Corey Dickerson to be our '4th' outfielder, mainly because I don't think that prospect haul brings Archer along with. I like Gamel, but if we are serious about having Broxton as the defensive replacement guy... Gamel's value drops a bit and I'd rather get an offensive minded 4th OF the spell Braun when he plays 1B.

BIG no on trading Ethan Small for a 2 year rental.

I view Small as a future #2 possibly #1, and trading him would be a big mistake.

I would be absolutely stunned if Small ever became a TOR pitcher at the MLB level. He just isn't a guy who profiles as someone who will have the stuff to dominate big league hitters.

Not to overhype Ethan Small with these names but he has a similar delivery as Clayton Kershaw and although his fastball isnt the fastest, supposedly hitters have a really hard time picking it up. This also makes his other pitches more effective. Something magical about his delivery makes his fastball play up and he is able to miss bats at an unrealistic rate. This attribute has been compared to Josh Hader.

Would like to see the Brewers hang onto this guy.

Zero interest in Archer. Pitt would overvalue him in a big way in an attempt to recoup some of the fleecing they took when they traded for him a few years ago. Guy is almost five years removed from his last good season. He's locked into a fairly affordable contract, but is it really "team friendly" if he continues to pitch like he has been?

Archer is on the opposite end of the spectrum from guys like Guerra (3.78 ERA/4.53 FIP) & Chase (3.83 ERA/4.70 FIP), or even Davies (3.92 ERA/4.24 FIP), in that his ERA (4.31) has conistently underperformed his FIP (3.89), by the 6th largest margin of 74 pitchers with at least 500 IP since 2016.

Now, if the Brewers could maybe work any potential FIP beating magic they might have on Archer, suddenly you're looking at a much more cromulent pitcher.

I would love Marte- not sure what it would take, but he's signed to a team friendly deal so there is some surplus value there. Would probably take a pretty notable return to get the deal done. It would make a ton of sense if the Brewers think Braun can play ~100 games at first.

• 1 month later...

Archived