Brewer Fanatic

Ted Simmons elected to Hall of Fame

PinaMadness

If he goes in the Hall of Fame as a Brewer (anyone hear if he's going in as a Cardinal? likely right?), I don't see how he would not have his number retired. If he likes us that much, we are about sure to like him back.

Then again, we put Gantner's name in the Walk of Fame, but not Simmons. If you played five seasons in Milwaukee and are in the Hall of Fame, you at the very least should be on the Walk of Fame.... right next to Jenkins and Higuera.

• 3 months later...

A bit of a repeat for me on this topic but anyways...

Simmons in Baseball Hall of Fame.... but not in our Brewers Walk of Fame. Beat out by Jenks and Higuera? How can this be? Yet Fingers' number is retired with 5 years as a Brewer (half the time injured) and Simmons' (five years as a Brewer) level of Brewer fame is in line with Bosio and Counsell on the Brewers Wall of Honor. Plus, I haven't heard of any changes or special ceremonies planned for Simmons by the team for this year. Seems crazy.

Also, I think that a possible candidate needs 75% of voters (Brewers officials/media members) to get put on the Walk of Fame, AND if you do not get 5% to be left off of the ballot. Who is not voting for Simmons?

Overall, I see this as an obvious oversight and shame that the Brewers are not putting its best catcher in a place of honor at the ballpark in a year that he is entering the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Jenkins is easily more of a Brewers than Simmons and deserves that WOF spot above him. He was Mr. Brewer for 10 very bad years. Fingers is a closer case, but won an MVP/CY in MKE. Had he not been hurt, likely a catalyst on their only championship team. Neither of the latter guys are synonymous with Brewers baseball the way Jenkins is. When I think of Simmons and the Brewers I think of someone like Don Sutton.

Not sure he's their best C anyway. Luc, Nilsson, maybe even Surhoff and Moore are more synonymous with the club.

Jenkins is easily more of a Brewers than Simmons and deserves that WOF spot above him. He was Mr. Brewer for 10 very bad years. Fingers is a closer case, but won an MVP/CY in MKE. Had he not been hurt, likely a catalyst on their only championship team. Neither of the latter guys are synonymous with Brewers baseball the way Jenkins is. When I think of Simmons and the Brewers I think of someone like Don Sutton.

Not sure he's their best C anyway. Luc, Nilsson, maybe even Surhoff and Moore are more synonymous with the club.

If a Hall of Fame catcher(Uecker called him a leader among leaders) who played with the Brewers for 5 seasons (two playoffs and a WS app) cannot get on a historically, below average team's Walk of Fame (equivalent to Brewers Hall of Fame?), then the bar is pretty high.... way too high for most on there. I understand that being a homer and playing for the team over a long period time has pull too, which it should. But by stats alone, Gantner and others shouldn't be anywhere near a team hall of fame.

Overall, it just doesn't add up to me....

Fingers had his number retired.

Jenks, Higuera, Money, Gantner, Gorman, and Money are on the Walk of Fame.

Simmons is with Bosio, Wegman, Shroeder, and Counsell on the Wall of Honor.

Perhaps someone smarter than me can do a statistical analysis and put me in my place, which would be welcomed.

The WOF isn't the HOF though, it's not necessarily a statistical achievement, it's relevance to the club. Simmons time as a Brewer isn't particularly exceptional. After looking at the list of inductees, they are all far more synonymous with baseball in Milwaukee. Sutton is also in the Hall of Fame. Nobody thinks of Milwaukee when they hear his name.

I agree that Simmons should be in the Walk of Fame but also think Jenkins deserved it. The voters have always done a poor job with it, probably should reduce the numbers of voters so there are only people who actually know Brewers history. Yes Simmons is known for being a Cardinal but five years is a decent amount of time for a Hall of Fame player to be with the Brewers. Agree with Fingers as well, although getting his number retired appears to be a bit of a stretch.

It is debatable.

He is in the HOF, so some sort of recognition is due.

That said, over five years in Milwaukee (1981-1985), he posted a .711 OPS, and in two of those years (1981 and 1984), he was simply dreadful. He was a DH for the last two years (1984-1985).

His #23 is arguably more memorably associated with Rickie Weeks (2003-2014) and Greg Vaughn (1990-1996), so really, do you retire that number? Honestly, Weeks did more for the Crew than Simmons... and Vaughn was better, so I have to vote no on that.

The Walk of Fame might be warranted, though, given his spot on the 1982 team, and his HOF status.

Archived