Brewer Fanatic

Ted Simmons elected to Hall of Fame

PinaMadness

Simmons was so good. Very glad that he was elected while he was alive.

Miller's posthumous election is troubling, as he said he didn't want to be elected after he was dead. It really is an injustice to him as the HOF gets to have him there without giving him the opportunity to speak. His family also indicated that they wouldn't participate in his induction. We'll see if they change their minds.

Dwight Evans and Lou Whitaker should’ve also gotten in. And I’m not even a big hall guy. Raines and Jim rice and others shouldn’t have gotten in.

If Tim Raines is in the HOF for what he did from 1981-1987, then Fernando Valenzuela should be in the HOF for what he did from 1981-1987. Not his fault that Lasorda ran him into the ground throwing so many pitches at such a young age.

If the test is if you can't tell the history of baseball without mentioning that player, you sure as heck cannot tell the history of baseball in the 1980's without mentioning Valenzuela. Not just performance, but what he did from a cultural standpoint in LA in reviving the Mexican community's interest in baseball is rivaled by very few pro athletes.

Dwight Evans and Lou Whitaker should’ve also gotten in. And I’m not even a big hall guy. Raines and Jim rice and others shouldn’t have gotten in.

If Tim Raines is in the HOF for what he did from 1981-1987, then Fernando Valenzuela should be in the HOF for what he did from 1981-1987. Not his fault that Lasorda ran him into the ground throwing so many pitches at such a young age.

If the test is if you can't tell the history of baseball without mentioning that player, you sure as heck cannot tell the history of baseball in the 1980's without mentioning Valenzuela. Not just performance, but what he did from a cultural standpoint in LA in reviving the Mexican community's interest in baseball is rivaled by very few pro athletes.

I think all players are in for the totality of their careers, not just their peak years.

Raines was a great leadoff hitter with more than 800 SB at a high success rate and over 1500 runs scored. He also benefitted from a very persuasive campaign by Jonah Keri to get elected.

Fernando was tremendous as a pitcher and cultural icon. It's a shame that he was so abused as a pitcher.

Raines is better than every other player you mentioned here though Evans is at least close, easy HOF. The biggest joke in all of this though is Jack Morris. He isn't a HOF player but additionally there just wasn't enough time between him falling off of the ballot and players who liked him voting him in because of nothing but bias. He got voted in out of spite and ignorance and nothing else.

If the test is if you can't tell the history of baseball without mentioning that player

This certainly is not the test and has shouldn't be why someone should be in the HOF.

This certainly is not the test and has shouldn't be why someone should be in the HOF.

Then I assume you are against the election of Marvin Miller and the 30 executives, 22 managers, and 10 umpires who are in the hall of fame? That's why they are in.

Then I assume you are against the election of Marvin Miller and the 30 executives, 22 managers, and 10 umpires who are in the hall of fame? That's why they are in.

Just because that isn't the test to get elected doesn't mean they can't be elected if they have an impact on the history of baseball. There is a difference.

I don't think it should be retired. I think retiring jerseys should be for true organizational greats that spend and extended time as a Brewer.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

...and yet Ted Simmons does not have a full sized bobblehead in a Brewers uniform. I'm hoping they rectify that this season.

I've long given up on them actually using those to honor players. More likely we get a 16th Ryan Braun. That they haven't ever done Jeff Cirillo in the 90s uni is a real crock. I'm not sure they've done a single bobble in Motre Bame logo. It's an ugly logo, but should still have at least one. Maybe Vaughn was? Not looking at it atm.

I don't think it should be retired. I think retiring jerseys should be for true organizational greats that spend and extended time as a Brewer.

Agreed. It’s silly to retire a good players number just because he played here at all. Only 3 of Simmons’ 5 years were even good in Milwaukee. In wouldn’t have retire Aaron or fingers either. Just Molitor, Yount, and eventually Braun. Are we gonna went to retire Hoffman’s number next?

...and yet Ted Simmons does not have a full sized bobblehead in a Brewers uniform. I'm hoping they rectify that this season.

I've long given up on them actually using those to honor players. More likely we get a 16th Ryan Braun. That they haven't ever done Jeff Cirillo in the 90s uni is a real crock. I'm not sure they've done a single bobble in Motre Bame logo. It's an ugly logo, but should still have at least one. Maybe Vaughn was? Not looking at it atm.

Yup, Vaughn had the 90's logo. He is the only one so far.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Just because that isn't the test to get elected doesn't mean they can't be elected if they have an impact on the history of baseball. There is a difference.

Can I ask what the difference is between:

a) "you can't tell the history of baseball without mentioning that person"

and

b) "they have an impact on the history of baseball"

The HOF is as messed as the present game. It took 30 some years for them to put my boy in??? With his numbers???

Now, Marvin Miller is a different thing. I'm conflicted on the whole free agent thing. It has hurt the game, but the former system was unfair. I can see why baseball blocked his induction, but all of those owners have died off. These new guys don't give a . Put in Marvin Miller, hell, put in Marvin Haggler. Just keep the cash flowin' :angry

Archived