Brewer Fanatic

keon broxton minor league deal; postseason eligible

djoctagone
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
the brewers thought highly enough of keon broxton to include him on the 2018 nlds roster.

knowing that rosters can remain at 28, including the postseason, i think there's a good chance that they add him at some point.

he is easier to bury as the 28th man once pitchers are more stretched out, and is great to have as a late-inning defensive replacement or as a pinch runner (especially in extra innings with the automatic runner at second).

Except that the runner on 2nd in extras has to be the player who made the final out in the previous inning.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the brewers thought highly enough of keon broxton to include him on the 2018 nlds roster.

knowing that rosters can remain at 28, including the postseason, i think there's a good chance that they add him at some point.

he is easier to bury as the 28th man once pitchers are more stretched out, and is great to have as a late-inning defensive replacement or as a pinch runner (especially in extra innings with the automatic runner at second).

Except that the runner on 2nd in extras has to be the player who made the final out in the previous inning.

Shouldn't be hard to get him to make the last out in the 9th.

Shouldn't be hard to get him to make the last out in the 9th.

LOL, that nearly made me spit out my coffee all over my keyboard.

who can then be replaced with a pinch runner. yes, it pulls that guy from the game, and may require another defensive replacement, but a speedy pinch runner gives the brewers an advantage in scoring that run.

don't forget, we've been used to the brewers winning games with mostly a 25-man roster. this will be a 28-man roster, with new rules in place to limit pitcher overload (extra innings rule and 7-inning doubleheaders).

• 1 year later...
Unfortunately MLB has made it difficult to have Quentin Berry type players anymore.

Herb Washington rules for this sort of thing.

105 games. 33 runs scored. 31 stolen bases. Caught stealing 17 times.

No at bats, nothing. Only ever pinch ran.

I was fascinated by his baseball card as a kid because there was no one else I had ever seen that just said 'pinch runner'. He was a world class sprinter or something like that. Charlie Finley thought it was a great idea to add him.

Funny thing is that he wasn't that good at stealing bases.

http://z.lee28.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/washington-herb.jpg

Archived