Brewer Fanatic

2019 Winter Meetings Rumors

Has Gregorius ever played 3B?

So explain this to me please. If we signed Didi to play SS, moving Urias to 3B, would it matter where either played.

Didi at SS, Urias at 3B. Both still hit so does it matter where they play?

Urias at SS, Didi at 3B....Both still hit, so does it matter where they play?

If Urias doesn't have the bat to play at 3B, and he plays SS while Didi plays 3B, does it matter, they are both still in the line-up, so why does it matter that one or the other doesn't have the bat to play the 3B position?

This is where I'm at and I've made this point in past years. If the same number of sluggers are in the lineup, what difference does it make what defensive position those bats play? If the Brewers IF slugs 80 HRs with the majority coming from 2b and SS, it's the exact same production as the typical structure where the majority come from 1B and 3B.

I have no earthly idea where this Hiura to 3B nonsense is coming from. If Didi Gregorius is signed, it's either him or Urias playing 3B.

Exactly. I think people call into expectations and tradition a little too much at times. Fans expect power from 1B and 3B simply because those are traditionally power positions. But if you are getting 30 HRs from your 2B, and you have Urias and his power upside at SS, why not look at guys who are going to get on base at a better clip at 1B and 3B?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yankees are reportedly trying to unload J.A. Happ, who is owed $17 million this season with a vesting option for 2021 if he makes 27+ starts (or 165+ IP), in part to help them fit Cole in their payroll.

I'm skeptical that Andujar is the answer at 3B because his defense was so bad there, but I wouldn't be totally opposed to having Happ on a one-year deal and getting a premium prospect in return.

The Yankees aren't that good at developing talent. And then there's the media wildly overhyping every decent guy they have. Hard pass.

I just looked at the Yankees minors mlb prospect ratings. 2 players in the top 100 none in the top 60. #62 is Deivy Garcia a maybe #3 SP projection. #66 is a 16yr signing that has yet to play so hard pass. #82 is Estevian Flovial an OF with an Arcia stat line at 22 in A ball. Puke. It's awful results for age and level they are playing at on down the list.

I seen that Didi is willing to sign a 1yr prove himself deal. So truly a Moustakas clone just at SS vs 3b

In Gregorius, I see a guy with a little less power and a bit better batting average than Moustakas. Similar OBPs. K percentage is similar. Gregorius is about 1 1/2 years younger.

These are very similar players. The Brewers could do much, much worse than Didi Gregorius to fill one of their infield holes.

In Gregorius, I see a guy with a little less power and a bit better batting average than Moustakas. Similar OBPs. K percentage is similar. Gregorius is about 1 1/2 years younger.

These are very similar players. The Brewers could do much, much worse than Didi Gregorius to fill one of their infield holes.

I wouldn’t mind having him, but his value lies in being able to play SS, which the brewers no longer need. I guess there aren’t many competitive teams looking for SS help other than cincy, but I see him getting more than his production would be worth as a 3B

I wouldn’t mind having him, but his value lies in being able to play SS, which the brewers no longer need. I guess there aren’t many competitive teams looking for SS help other than cincy, but I see him getting more than his production would be worth as a 3B

I think we need to get past attaching values to positions. It's a matter of putting the best lineup together. As long as you can throw them out somewhere on defense and they don't embarrass themselves, you should be fine. The fact that there aren't many teams looking for SS help plays right into the Brewers' lap in this case.

Last year there were a lot of teams looking for 2B help, including the Brewers. There weren't many looking for 3B, though. So the Brewers signed a 3B with solid offensive production, and played him at 2B, where his production became elite. I doubt that mattered to the Brewers, though. They just wanted Moose's bat in the lineup. It was thinking outside the box. We may just see it again.

I think we need to get past attaching values to positions. It's a matter of putting the best lineup together. As long as you can throw them out somewhere on defense and they don't embarrass themselves, you should be fine. The fact that there aren't many teams looking for SS help plays right into the Brewers' lap in this case.

Last year there were a lot of teams looking for 2B help, including the Brewers. There weren't many looking for 3B, though. So the Brewers signed a 3B with solid offensive production, and played him at 2B, where his production became elite. I doubt that mattered to the Brewers, though. They just wanted Moose's bat in the lineup. It was thinking outside the box. We may just see it again.

I think you have to attach value to positions. No team, for example, would have paid Yasmani Grandal 72 million to be their first baseman. You could do it, but the value in his bat is the position that it comes from.

Now when the season begins and your roster is set, I agree, you play the guys in the positions where you think it can be most cumulatively beneficial to the team, whether the bat plays or not. If you start the season with Hiura, Urias and Gregorius as your infielders, you play them wherever you think they fit best.

But when assembling the roster, I do think you want to try to have above average bats at a position when possible. If you go into the season with Urias as you starting 3rd baseman, you should go in with the knowledge that his bat will likely be well below average for that position.

He'd probably still play some SS, particularly against righties. With how much the Brewers shift, their 3B wind up setting up where SS traditionally plays an awful lot. I guess I don't really see the downside in considering signing Gregorius as a 3B/SS option if the price is right.

I would be concerned with positional attachment if Didi was going to get a long term deal from us, but it sounds like if we end up with him it is a one year prove it deal. In that case all I give a crap about is constructing the best offense we can because we aren't shelling out $40mil+ to have him man 3B. It just isn't a concern at that point. Long term, yes, I think positional attachment matters. Short term, I don't think it has any meaning.

I think you have to attach value to positions. No team, for example, would have paid Yasmani Grandal 72 million to be their first baseman. You could do it, but the value in his bat is the position that it comes from.

Now when the season begins and your roster is set, I agree, you play the guys in the positions where you think it can be most cumulatively beneficial to the team, whether the bat plays or not. If you start the season with Hiura, Urias and Gregorius as your infielders, you play them wherever you think they fit best.

But when assembling the roster, I do think you want to try to have above average bats at a position when possible. If you go into the season with Urias as you starting 3rd baseman, you should go in with the knowledge that his bat will likely be well below average for that position.

I guess it would depend on if there is a team out there that is attaching extra value to Gregorius simply because he can play SS. But his value might be quashed a bit simply because there doesn't seem to be many teams looking for SS help.

I think the Brewers are interested in Gregorius because they see a guy with a decent left-handed stick who is a good fit for the lineup and may be looking at a short-term deal. The fact that he can play a competent SS is a bonus.

I guess it would depend on if there is a team out there that is attaching extra value to Gregorius simply because he can play SS. But his value might be quashed a bit simply because there doesn't seem to be many teams looking for SS help.

I think the Brewers are interested in Gregorius because they see a guy with a decent left-handed stick who is a good fit for the lineup and may be looking at a short-term deal. The fact that he can play a competent SS is a bonus.

Well, Didi has a really good glove at SS. Near gold glove caliber. I don't see that personally as a bonus, I see that as a huge selling point. Being such a premium defensive position I think if you sign Didi you definitely are doing it large in part for that defense at SS. He hasn't moved off that position for even an inning in 5 years.

Just my speculation of course, but I think a Didi signing you could almost certainly pencil him in as the everyday starting SS. After that, I have no idea. Hiura trade? Urias to AAA? Urias to 3rd? Any number of ways they could go.

To be fair, Didi has been a below average fielder at SS based on DRS 3 out of the last 4 years, including the last two seasons. Not sure where people are getting it from that he’s a very good fielder.

I overstated saying Gold Glove caliber, that's not true anymore. He was a gold glove finalist in 2015, improved in '17 to a little better than average, but never really returned to gold glove form after his TJ surgery.

However he still hasn't played any other position in 5 years. I do stand by saying if they sign him it's to be our starting SS.

To be fair, Didi has been a below average fielder at SS based on DRS 3 out of the last 4 years, including the last two seasons. Not sure where people are getting it from that he’s a very good fielder.

I overstated saying Gold Glove caliber, that's not true anymore. He was a gold glove finalist in 2015, improved in '17 to a little better than average, but never really returned to gold glove form after his TJ surgery.

However he still hasn't played any other position in 5 years. I do stand by saying if they sign him it's to be our starting SS.

It wouldn’t surprise me though to see Didi moved to 3B if he is brought in on a one year deal. Urias has played over 300 innings at SS and has been average up to this point. It might make more sense to let the young guy learn the position where he might be for 5 or 6 years for us than to play him at third where he probably won’t be long term.

Try to look at each move individually - it's clear Stearns and co. move through the offseason fluidly and don't make moves that only work if a, b, and c also happen. Didi would be a great signing at shortstop, so if the price is right for both sides it will happen regardless of Urias or anyone. Stearns isn't going to turn down a good deal just because last week Urias was penciled in at SS - he's gonna get the best players he can at prices he deems fair and then figure it out later. If Didi signs and Urias is blocked at SS, who cares? He can play 3rd or be a utility guy or even season down at AAA as that was a longer term move. It's clear that's how Stearns goes about things - conventional wisdom says Grandal wouldn't be available for the Brewers last season but when it became clear that a one year fit was good for both sides, the move was made. I can guarantee you he wasn't the "plan" at the outset of the offseason.

More of what we already have heard rumblings on via Andy Martino...

Brewers another team to watch on Happ

The assumption as mentioned earlier on this thread is the Yankees would have to add other players/prospects of value to get a team to assume Happ’s remaining contract.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Yankees don’t really have any intriguing prospects for us that are close to MLB ready. If they want us to take that contract or most of it off their hands, they will need to include one of their cost controlled bats off the MLB roster. Someone like Mike Ford or Mike Tauchman.

Yankees don’t really have any intriguing prospects for us that are close to MLB ready. If they want us to take that contract or most of it off their hands, they will need to include one of their cost controlled bats off the MLB roster. Someone like Mike Ford or Mike Tauchman.

I'll take Jasson Dominguez off their hands if they want us to take on Happ. It doesn't need to be an MLB ready prospect. Any value on the farm helps.

Is it sad that I had no idea who Mike Ford and Mike Tauchman were? Then, I go look them up on Baseball Reference and see that both guys got some decent action with the Yankees last year and put up some solid numbers. Are those numbers sustainable though? Neither guys looks like he was that highly thought of coming up through their farm system.

What happens if you just dump someone with a vesting option? Is there a penalty or is the players union just going to frown upon it and make a big stink?

JA Happ is extremely old, was terrible last year, and has an easily attainable vesting option. It is probably just safe to assume he would get it to vest and he would cost a total of $34mil. We are trying to compete and I really don't see us playing around with dead money for a decent prospect or two.

EDIT: On second thought if he gets a Chase Anderson type treatment he may avoid it. He needs to average about 5.5 innings over 30 starts to vest. Regardless something to take into consideration if he is healthy all year.

Wouldn't Urias go to 3rd in this scenario and Arcia Dealt?

Urias bat needs to be HUGELY improved to play at 3rd

Exactly this...you need your corner IF positions to provide power...he can't do that, at least not enough of it.

This is generally the case but if you are already receiving above average power from your two middle infielder spots you can get away with a high contact/OBP guy at one of your corner IF positions. I’m actually a fan of signing Gregorius since our infield defense would be much improved.

For how bad our farm system is, “buying” some young talent from the Yankees system for taking on only one year of Happ at $17M isn’t the worst idea, IMO.

For how bad our farm system is, “buying” some young talent from the Yankees system for taking on only one year of Happ at $17M isn’t the worst idea, IMO.

Yeah, I'd definitely be on board with this if it was just the 17M for one year. But, I'm guessing that the vesting option for 2021 will ultimately scare most teams away. Unless of course if the Yankees want to also send some of that money back to us (but then we are likely getting a lesser prospect package).

Archived