Brewer Fanatic

2019 Winter Meetings Rumors

I think it's much more likely that they are planning to move Hiura off 2B than they are going to trade him. (I didn't think his defense there looked as bad as some did.) I know his arm isn't his strongest attribute but I don't see why he couldn't move to 3B full time.

Wait, Hiura at 3B. Pretty sure he would have a shot at worst defender in MLB history. He can’t play 2B and struggles making throws to 1B. Across the diamond? Oh my.

:roll eyes Highly doubt he would be the "worst defender in MLB history" and from my perspective his arm has not been his biggest problem at 2B.

3B is down the defensive spectrum from 2B in my view.

I kinda wish it would happen cause I feel your thoughts on that would quickly change. Remember when the Brewers tried Villar at 3B? Villar was better at SS compared to 3B by miles. Villar was REALLY bad and Villar is a gold glover compared to Hiura defensively.

Hiura isn’t moving to a different position unless there is some off chance they would try to stick him at 1B (or LF at some point I suppose, though his arm is a wet noodle). Personally they may just find Didi a good value sign (not getting the offers expected) and while it may logjam the short term they may figure someone would eventually be traded (Urias/Hiura).

I guess I’d be perplexed just because to sign Didi in FA you’d be playing him at SS. It doesn’t make a ton of sense to give him a bunch of money to play 3B. Unless of course they plan to trade someone this offseason or sometime in the near future. Or of course a 1B/LF move, not 3B.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wouldn't Urias go to 3rd in this scenario and Arcia Dealt?

Urias bat needs to be HUGELY improved to play at 3rd

Exactly this...you need your corner IF positions to provide power...he can't do that, at least not enough of it.

2016 A+: (531 PAs) 330/397/440 (130 wRC+)

2017 AA: (526 PAs) 296/398/380 (124 wRC+)

2018 AAA: (533 PAs) 296/398/447 (127 wRC+)

2019 AAA: (339 PAs) 315/398/600 (137 wRC+)

His MLB numbers might not be pretty so far in 300 PAs, but Urias has hit at every level of the minors while being extremely young for his league at each stop. If he's got enough arm, the bat should play at 3B, though it'd obviously be more valuable at SS or 2B.

I kinda wish it would happen cause I feel your thoughts on that would quickly change. Remember when the Brewers tried Villar at 3B? Villar was better at SS compared to 3B by miles. Villar was REALLY bad and Villar is a gold glover compared to Hiura defensively.

Hiura isn’t moving to a different position unless there is some off chance they would try to stick him at 1B (or LF at some point I suppose, though his arm is a wet noodle). Personally they may just find Didi a good value sign (not getting the offers expected) and while it may logjam the short term they may figure someone would eventually be traded (Urias/Hiura).

I guess I’d be perplexed just because to sign Didi in FA you’d be playing him at SS. It doesn’t make a ton of sense to give him a bunch of money to play 3B. Unless of course they plan to trade someone this offseason or sometime in the near future. Or of course a 1B/LF move, not 3B.

Villar is an anomaly. Some of this may come down to the unique abilities of individual players, so for all I know moving Hiura in particular wouldn't work, but in general 3B is easier. There are guys throughout the league who are lumbering 3B/1B types that in no way could ever play 2B. Heck, even Jesus Aguilar played passable 3B in an emergency.

Would the pitcher be the relay thrower with Hiura at 3rd? I can't believe this is being seriously discussed by posters that should know better.

What do you even mean? Hiura, the guy who is currently our starting 2B? :rolleyes

With the rumors we are in on Didi, what would be fair value? He’s had two years above league average OPS+. His OBP is merely adequate. His homers and lefty bat are nice. $10million per season? $12million? How is his defense?

Don't get any on the idea for Didi. My only thought is a team in the division are really in to him, and this is just the attempt to make them bid higher. Would the Cubs be in on him? They have a number of guys that played 2b last season but none are great options when compared to Didi's prior 2 seasons before 2019. So you know, just like the Cubs being in on the majority of the Brewers big potential signings. (they did get Darvish so that was pertinent)

Edit add: SRB I think he means the fact that Johnny Estrada would be beating out throws from Keston's arm strength from a longer throw. Imagine Billy Hamilton bunting down 3b and racing around for a double when he continues around 1st as Hiura's throw rolls in to (insert 1b) glove.

Would the pitcher be the relay thrower with Hiura at 3rd? I can't believe this is being seriously discussed by posters that should know better.

What do you even mean? Hiura, the guy who is currently our starting 2B? :rolleyes

Yes, the guy that has a borderline arm to play 2nd base.........

I think it's much more likely that they are planning to move Hiura off 2B than they are going to trade him. (I didn't think his defense there looked as bad as some did.) I know his arm isn't his strongest attribute but I don't see why he couldn't move to 3B full time.

Clancy, this isn't funny, untie SRB and step away from the keyboard.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Has Gregorius ever played 3B?

So explain this to me please. If we signed Didi to play SS, moving Urias to 3B, would it matter where either played.

Didi at SS, Urias at 3B. Both still hit so does it matter where they play?

Urias at SS, Didi at 3B....Both still hit, so does it matter where they play?

If Urias doesn't have the bat to play at 3B, and he plays SS while Didi plays 3B, does it matter, they are both still in the line-up, so why does it matter that one or the other doesn't have the bat to play the 3B position?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If we sign Didi, Urías can also start in the minors and fill the hole we inevitably have after some roster shuffling. I’d like to give Urías an everyday job but can’t argue Didi makes us better.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

And yes, 3B is more challenging defensively than 2B

:indifferent

Regardless of whether one (inaccurately) thinks 3B is overall harder than 2B, I don't see how people could have watched Hiura last season and not come to the conclusion that his primary issue was in making the athletic plays that you have to make at 2B. His arm strength may not be elite but it was fine.

Didi on a one year deal similar to the Moustakas deal in 2019 makes plenty of sense. Gives Urias a year to ease into regular playing time, as so far he’s only hit LHP... Didi in Miller Park could easily hit 30-35 HR’s. That’s a lot of value at SS
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Ramon Flores? Keston at 3b?

This thread has gone off the rails.

And yes, 3B is more challenging defensively than 2B

I wouldn't say 3B is more challenging than 2B. It takes a different skillset. A good defensive 3B needs terrific instincts and hand-eye coordination, along with a very strong throwing arm. A good defensive 2B needs quick feet, an accurate but not necessarily strong throwing arm, and top notch athleticism.

Has Gregorius ever played 3B?

So explain this to me please. If we signed Didi to play SS, moving Urias to 3B, would it matter where either played.

Didi at SS, Urias at 3B. Both still hit so does it matter where they play?

Urias at SS, Didi at 3B....Both still hit, so does it matter where they play?

If Urias doesn't have the bat to play at 3B, and he plays SS while Didi plays 3B, does it matter, they are both still in the line-up, so why does it matter that one or the other doesn't have the bat to play the 3B position?

It doesn’t matter. However long term it would not make a ton of sense. If it is a stopgap plan whatever, but you are getting terrible value while you have that setup. Didi isn’t a great hitting 3B if that was his hypothetical spot. Now I’m a big proponent of “big picture” with the offense and not getting caught up in where it comes from, but we would be getting Didi from FA where we will be bidding against teams that value him as a SS. That doesn’t seem like a great idea if our plan is Urias/Didi on the left side...unless Didi came real cheap...or of course there was something else to the plan.

I looked up one Keston Hiura scouting report on his defense.

Hiura’s work at second base has been described as “unspectacular” and he’s considered an average defender at the position. His decent actions and footwork help make up for a below-average arm, but he’ll be exposed on longer throws from deep in the hole. If he can’t stick at second, his arm strength limits him to either left field or first base as backup options.

Sounds like a third baseman to me. :rolleyes

I looked up one Keston Hiura scouting report on his defense.

Hiura’s work at second base has been described as “unspectacular” and he’s considered an average defender at the position. His decent actions and footwork help make up for a below-average arm, but he’ll be exposed on longer throws from deep in the hole. If he can’t stick at second, his arm strength limits him to either left field or first base as backup options.

Sounds like a third baseman to me. :rolleyes

Well! Case closed on my extremely radical position of "none of us should pretend to be smart enough to know whether the front office thinks Hiura could move to 3B or not"

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

Brewers are also in on Gregorius. Milwaukee has lost 14 players off its wild card team. Time to get to work.

Not sure where another SS would fit on this team. His numbers would force him to play SS. Urias to 3b? Trade Urias? Trade Hiura to make room for Urias? Its all very confusing.

I have a suspicion they don’t envision Hiura as a second baseman long-term. I think they ultimately move him to either LF or 1B, or a longer shot that they trade him.

This was my thought personally. Maybe they're simply ready to move him to 1b. Or maybe they are simply acquiring what they view as the best use of their payroll $ and sort out the positions later.

Yankees are reportedly trying to unload J.A. Happ, who is owed $17 million this season with a vesting option for 2021 if he makes 27+ starts (or 165+ IP), in part to help them fit Cole in their payroll.

I'm skeptical that Andujar is the answer at 3B because his defense was so bad there, but I wouldn't be totally opposed to having Happ on a one-year deal and getting a premium prospect in return.

Yankees are reportedly trying to unload J.A. Happ, who is owed $17 million this season with a vesting option for 2021 if he makes 27+ starts (or 165+ IP), in part to help them fit Cole in their payroll.

I'm skeptical that Andujar is the answer at 3B because his defense was so bad there, but I wouldn't be totally opposed to having Happ on a one-year deal and getting a premium prospect in return.

The Yankees aren't that good at developing talent. And then there's the media wildly overhyping every decent guy they have. Hard pass.

Archived