Brewer Fanatic

2019 Winter Meetings Rumors

The Dodgers have made it known that Joc Pederson, AJ Pollock, and Kike Hernandez are available for the right price. The "right price" is clearly posturing and they'll definitely be looking to move at least one of them, probably 2 of them. Those guys are fairly redundant considering their roster and prospects on the way up. I like all 3 of those guys pending the price, though obviously would only want 1.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Dodgers have made it known that Joc Pederson, AJ Pollock, and Kike Hernandez are available for the right price. The "right price" is clearly posturing and they'll definitely be looking to move at least one of them, probably 2 of them. Those guys are fairly redundant considering their roster and prospects on the way up. I like all 3 of those guys pending the price, though obviously would only want 1.

I know we're talking about further down the roster guys, but I'd only really be interested in Joc and I doubt we'd match up on prices.

Pollock is 32, very injury prone, might be a 2 WAR guy and is locked up for 3/$45 plus a player option he likely picks up making it 4 years at a high price tag.

Hernandez is a nice utility guy but can only hit lefties.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Brewers do something wild in the Rule 5 draft. I don't have the time really to rummage through who is available... are there any leads by chance?

The guy I want is 1B Roberto Ramos from the Rockies. He's absolutely mashed throughout his minor league career, but apparently scouts think he's a quad-A player.

Didn't they say the same thing about non-prospect Khris Davis who just never stopped hitting?

Davis kind of did stop hitting in 2019, though...totally get the concept though.

Davis was hurt a LOT during last season. I think he will bounce back just fine.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I like Joc but he is relatively useless against LHP. In 2019, Joc had 36 HR and 74 RBI. He had 0 HR and 1 RBI in 50 PA against LHP. I would look elsewhere unless it is a salary dump.

I know we're talking about further down the roster guys, but I'd only really be interested in Joc and I doubt we'd match up on prices.

Pollock is 32, very injury prone, might be a 2 WAR guy and is locked up for 3/$45 plus a player option he likely picks up making it 4 years at a high price tag.

All of those are reasons these guys should come inexpensively. Heck we'd probably get salary relief on Pollock. I also like Joc best of the 3, probably like Kike 2nd best. Joc seems like that type of player/athlete that really figures it out for a couple years in his 26-29 range and puts up borderline MVP type numbers before fallign off a cliff. I think he has 2 really good years in him coming up, though he'd be tougher to platoon with our current OF situation. And Kike is basically a better version of Perez in every way. Again, all depends on cost.

I like Joc but he is relatively useless against LHP. In 2019, Joc had 36 HR and 74 RBI. He had 0 HR and 1 RBI in 50 PA against LHP. I would look elsewhere unless it is a salary dump.

It might require patience, but I think we could get Joc or Kike for virtually nothing but payroll $.

All of those are reasons these guys should come inexpensively. Heck we'd probably get salary relief on Pollock. I also like Joc best of the 3, probably like Kike 2nd best. Joc seems like that type of player/athlete that really figures it out for a couple years in his 26-29 range and puts up borderline MVP type numbers before fallign off a cliff. I think he has 2 really good years in him coming up, though he'd be tougher to platoon with our current OF situation. And Kike is basically a better version of Perez in every way. Again, all depends on cost.

Yes, I'd take Pollock for no prospects with the Dodgers paying probably over half of his salary but I'm not even sure about that.

Cain was a risk himself but he had 3 or 4 dominant seasons to get the contract that he did.

Other than 2015 where he was a BABIP machine, Pollock has been an above average bat and an above average fielder. His defense went down last year and he's probably not going to be the steals/baserunning stalwart he once was.

I trust the Dodgers know what they're doing so there has to be something to him as to why they signed that contract for him, but there's a pretty good chance that he's roughly as good as your run-of-the-mill guy that you can just pick up for $4-5 million for 1 year before every season. I'd rather just sign Corey Dickerson.

Somewhat ditto on Hernandez in what he equates to. If they were just going for salary relief, they'd have non-tendered him a while ago (they still probably can just chop him in Spring Training, is that how that works?). I'd rather just sign a utility infielder for one year than give anything of value for Hernandez. Somewhat what you're suggesting but the Dodgers may just cut him later.

I like Joc simply from the standpoint that he has an elite trait to offer. We can platoon just like the Dodgers can. But once again I'm not sure it's what we're looking for.

I think MadBum is going the Keuchel/Kimbrel route and this is a better offseason to do it.

Ask for some insane number.

Maybe you'll strike it rich and get the lucky team with an ownership directive to meet your silly demands (Hosmer).

Or maybe you'll settle for something 80% of the way there (Kimbrel)

Fall back to signing a 1 year deal to try this all over again (Keuchel)

Jim Bowden’s Picking a Winter Meetings move for all 30 teams predicts that the Brewers will sign Dallas Keuchel for 3 years, $42 million. This isn’t really a rumor, but more of a guess/speculation on Bowden’s part.

That's Garza/Lohse type of contract/money while a better history. That'd be surprising to me for him to sign such a low contract. In this market I fully expect him to be a 4-72mil deal if we're talking by end of the winter meetings. It gets in to the new year, then more a 4-60. It'd be quite the coup to sign him 3/42 though.

I dunno, Kuechel didn't exactly light the NL on fire last year, his FIP was 4.72! For a guy who is turning 32, doesn't get many strikeouts, and did not make the most of his $13million one year prove it deal, I have a hard time seeing how he'd get more than that per year, especially for a 3 or 4 year deal. Seems like his value would have to be lower this offseason than last so 4 year 72mil, no way. He seems more like a 2 year 20 mill candidate.

Kuechel had the QO attached to him last season. Signed June 7th. First start June 21st. Didnt miss a start, 5 starts 7innings with 1 of them in to the 8th. Like most gave up more HRs than in his past, a little higher BB/9. With Low Ks and a H/9 avg his Fip jumps. His deal last season was actually 20mil but only 13mil with the late signing. Hes 4yrs removed from being the Cy Young/ 2 from being an All Star. In his last 630IP hes been worth 9.3 WAR as a pitcher. That is a Brandon Woodruff value to IP. Obviously if I went to his Cy Young year, hed be more valuable. Career Fip is 3.80 which he beat the previous 350IP. Ton of Playoff experience. Hes due for a bounceback that had he pitched last season like Ryu his value would be out of our League. Speaking of has never pitched 200IP on a Season. Kuechel has 3.

Did this last year. I suggested getting in on Lance Lynn due to the ability to go 200IP and bounceback value. Just 208IP of 7.6WAR value last season for Texas.

As with Lohse or Suppan the history of production exceeds those two I said then and applies with Kuechel now. With his age this is going to be a 4yr ask. That 4-72 is my belief if he gets whats hes asking for before the new year. Our deal would probably land at 4/66mil.

So a bunch of stats that take into consideration a season three years ago that is a big outlier compared to the last two. Which, in my opinion, is relevant with a pitcher going into his mid 30s. You then talk about 200 innings even though Keuchel has done it once in the last four years. Brewers don't let starters throw that much anyway.

So a bunch of stats that take into consideration a season three years ago that is a big outlier compared to the last two. Which, in my opinion, is relevant with a pitcher going into his mid 30s. You then talk about 200 innings even though Keuchel has done it once in the last four years. Brewers don't let starters throw that much anyway.

Well he'd have had to go 10+ per start to reach 200 in 2019. I think he was about on pace if he had 33starts.

Well he'd have had to go 10+ per start to reach 200 in 2019. I think he was about on pace if he had 33starts.

I don't think you can assume that though. He only played half a season. Much easier to avoid ticky tack injuries (or even moderate ones) when you skip half the year. Maybe if he was a perennial 200 inning guy you could assume that, but 2/3 of the previous three years we was notably far from 200 innings.

I don't think you can assume that though. He only played half a season. Much easier to avoid ticky tack injuries (or even moderate ones) when you skip half the year. Maybe if he was a perennial 200 inning guy you could assume that, but 2/3 of the previous three years we was notably far from 200 innings.

The thing is, when given a full season of starts he's had 3 of 5 reach 200IP or more. The other two he missed Sept and 2months the following season. More often than not he will go 200IP in other words. The idea is the team gets a starter that can pitch beyond the 5th inning and in this case, Kuechel can pitch beyond the 6th. If not him then who are you looking for Milwaukee to Dumpster Dive with? Bumgarner wants 9figures. And the recency facts puts Ryu in the Lohse/Suppan category. Paying him for results that exceeded his career norm. Who has a far worse injury history. For the money and potential results Kuechel is most likely to meet and exceed. Sorta like the Cain signing.

Edit add. I will say in looking deeper to what kept Kuechel from 200IPs those 2 seasons, I found hes from Oklahoma, played in Houston obviously and choosing Atlanta last season was a closer towards home while also winning now. So he may choose a team based on location. Not sure outside the Chicago's teams that he'd find closer with winning who want to sign him. Colorado isnt a winning now go to. Arizona same. St Louis I believe isnt in the pitching market. KC is rebuilding. So maybe the idea fits him then. Of course money by those Chi teams would outclass Milw.

Ryu has a career 2.98 ERA, has career FIPs and xFIPs just over 3 and strikes out over 8 per 9 for his career. There are nothing wrong with his career numbers.

The injury concerns are valid but in no universe should Hyun-Jin Ryu be put in the same category as Jeff Suppan.

Ryu has a career 2.98 ERA, has career FIPs and xFIPs just over 3 and strikes out over 8 per 9 for his career. There are nothing wrong with his career numbers.

The injury concerns are valid but in no universe should Hyun-Jin Ryu be put in the same category as Jeff Suppan.

Yes. I get that. In reference to Suppan&Lohse it is that you are buying in to them at their highest value at the time. And in Kuechel his value isnt at its highest. Ryu would be a great get. But I'm in the feelings now he's going to cost at least 4-80. Also I figure Ryu would have certain destinations in mind and Milw wouldn't be one even if we came at him for 4-96 being a foreign player and all.

Yes. I get that. In reference to Suppan&Lohse it is that you are buying in to them at their highest value at the time. And in Kuechel his value isnt at its highest. Ryu would be a great get. But I'm in the feelings now he's going to cost at least 4-80. Also I figure Ryu would have certain destinations in mind and Milw wouldn't be one even if we came at him for 4-96 being a foreign player and all.

I don’t get the “highest value” comment. This isn’t the highest value ever for either of these guys. What should matter is predicted future value. For all we know Keuchel is all downhill from here. Keuchel may be cheaper, but he may also be worth a lot less over the course of the contract.

Archived