Brewer Fanatic

2019 Winter Meetings Rumors

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If the Brewers take Price, they could cover a lot of holes.

Price + Benintendi + Michael Chavis (3B/1B) + Josh Taylor (LHRP) on the trade simulator nets to about zero - send the Red Sox Corey Ray and a couple other minor leaguers, have the Red Sox throw in $10M or so... could it work?

Wait, what?

Brewers get all those guys plus 10 million for Ray?

This trade simulator is a nice toy, and sometimes I think it approximates value fairly well, but there's scenarios where I just don't think it really works in the real world.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Price is owed $96M over the next three seasons. Benintendi is overrated - he was only a ~2 WAR player last year (.774 OPS, not that great for a corner OF; for reference, Braun had a .849 OPS last year) and is in his first arbitration year and only has 3 years of control left, so he isn't much of a bargain. Boston is going to need to include a lot more than Benintendi to get someone to take Price off their hands.

While it balances on the trade simulator, I think the simulator has Benintendi overvalued and my proposal is actually a good deal for the Red Sox.

Jim Bowden’s Picking a Winter Meetings move for all 30 teams predicts that the Brewers will sign Dallas Keuchel for 3 years, $42 million. This isn’t really a rumor, but more of a guess/speculation on Bowden’s part.

That's Garza/Lohse type of contract/money while a better history. That'd be surprising to me for him to sign such a low contract. In this market I fully expect him to be a 4-72mil deal if we're talking by end of the winter meetings. It gets in to the new year, then more a 4-60. It'd be quite the coup to sign him 3/42 though.

I dunno, Kuechel didn't exactly light the NL on fire last year, his FIP was 4.72! For a guy who is turning 32, doesn't get many strikeouts, and did not make the most of his $13million one year prove it deal, I have a hard time seeing how he'd get more than that per year, especially for a 3 or 4 year deal. Seems like his value would have to be lower this offseason than last so 4 year 72mil, no way. He seems more like a 2 year 20 mill candidate.

I’d much rather just pay Ryu or Bumgarner. Why mess with an older Keuchel? Sounds like another Lohse/Garza. Let’s shoot a bit higher for once.

I find age to be a strange reason to go Ryu over Keuchel

Fair enough. How about the reason that Ryu has just been much better than Kuechel the last couple years?

I’d much rather just pay Ryu or Bumgarner. Why mess with an older Keuchel? Sounds like another Lohse/Garza. Let’s shoot a bit higher for once.

Fair enough. How about the reason that Ryu has just been much better than Kuechel the last couple years?

Now that I can agree with. I actually wanted Keuchel in offseason plan thread. But then once the brewers not tendered don’t many players, I said they should get Ryu instead

Yeah, considering Ryu is actually 10 months older than Keuchel ...

MadBum is 1 1/2 years younger than Keuchel. I'd be happy with Keuchel.

Jim Bowden’s Picking a Winter Meetings move for all 30 teams predicts that the Brewers will sign Dallas Keuchel for 3 years, $42 million. This isn’t really a rumor, but more of a guess/speculation on Bowden’s part.

I'm not a huge Keuchel fan but I'd definitely take him at that price.

That would be a VERY good deal... Keuchel slots in right behind Woodruff.

Woodruff, Keuchel, Houser, Lauer, Wade Miley?

Obviously I was referring to Bumgarner.

Regardless both are a bit more than a midrotation guy. Who with aging may just be a back end guy. I think Ryu ages well and I don’t find him a huge injury...a risk, but not as big as he is made out to be.

I mean people are getting pumped if Keuchel is our #2, talk about a disaster waiting to happen.

Bumgarner, Keuchel and Ryu all carry risk, maybe in different forms, but the risk is there.

Now, which carries the least risk, that is the question.

Bumgarner pitching in Miller Park worries me a bit. I think he is more than likely on the downside of his peak, and then there is the fact that he is just a douche...

Keuchel is surely on the downside of his peak, and not nearly reliable as he once was.

Ryu, since he has been injured so often in his career, has a lot of mileage left on his arm, but the injury risk is real. If we could get a couple years out of him like his 2019 season, he is the guy I'd want, no question. Can we afford to sign a guy for his cost who then spends too much time on the DL?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Knowing Stearns, our Free Agent starter signing will be some guy off everyone else's radar.

Someone like LHP Martin Perez.

Although if it's going to be underwhelming, I'm hoping for at least someone with upside, like Aaron Sanchez.

Knowing Stearns, our Free Agent starter signing will be some guy off everyone else's radar.

I don't know. You have to look pretty far back to find any significant stretch of competence in that guy's career.

I suppose he is on the younger side, though, and would come cheap.

I don't know. You have to look pretty far back to find any significant stretch of competence in that guy's career.

True, however, these are the same thoughts I had about Chacin, Lyles and Miley at the time too.

Another under the radar guy I actually like is RHP Michael Wacha. Hard to believe he's still only 28.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Brewers do something wild in the Rule 5 draft. I don't have the time really to rummage through who is available... are there any leads by chance?

The guy I want is 1B Roberto Ramos from the Rockies. He's absolutely mashed throughout his minor league career, but apparently scouts think he's a quad-A player.

Didn't they say the same thing about non-prospect Khris Davis who just never stopped hitting?

He came flying out of the gates last year after adding a few MPH to his pitches.

I think the league caught up or luck ran out, but maybe he could harness some of that in even more of a relief role.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Brewers do something wild in the Rule 5 draft. I don't have the time really to rummage through who is available... are there any leads by chance?

The guy I want is 1B Roberto Ramos from the Rockies. He's absolutely mashed throughout his minor league career, but apparently scouts think he's a quad-A player.

Didn't they say the same thing about non-prospect Khris Davis who just never stopped hitting?

Davis kind of did stop hitting in 2019, though...totally get the concept though.

Pro: You can stash a guy like this with your 26th roster spot and we're in need of 1B anyways.

Con: Khris Davis is the unicorn. There are hundreds of guys like Garrett Cooper who had this career path as well and while Cooper has an MLB caliber bat, it still is not up to snuff for a good 1B. Nice to have in your organization but you can just go out and get more of a sure thing like Jesus Aguilar for cheap at any point as well.

Archived