Brewer Fanatic

2019 Winter Meetings Rumors

Michael Wacha to the Mets as their Wheeler replacement. Probably not a terrible buy-low guy, as he's young and has good stuff. Starting to see the mid-level pitching market move a bit now with Gausman and Wacha going.

I'm going to predict we see a 1-year, $8 million deal with Miley.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, I'm somewhat with you here but I guess Lindor just makes you a better team for those games. He bats 4-5 times/game in a playoff series and is able to add his excellent defense.

I guess I'd rather make a really good offense a really, really, really good offense instead of make an okay/good bullpen a better bullpen.

Worth noting, when you compare the Cubs 2016 trade...they dumped all that for 2 months of Chapman. Anyone trading for Hader gets him for 4 years. So it's not like trading for a reliever giving you 1 shot at getting over the hump and to a WS title...it's actually 4 shots. It's very clearly different than 2016 Cubs.

I think Francisco Lindor, regardless of what the Dodgers' strengths and weaknesses are, gives them a better chance to win a World Series in the next 2 years than Josh Hader does.

In the end, it doesn't matter what we think. We're fans. It can certainly be argued that the Dodgers' failure to make their pen a top priority has cost them a shot at a World Series title. Lindor would no doubt make them a stronger team offensively and perhaps defensively (although Seager is no slouch as a defender). It would then be a matter of whether the Dodgers believe that the upgrade from Seager to Lindor is more significant than the upgrade from whoever is pitching a crucial late playoff inning, be it Kelly, Jansen or even Kershaw, to the guy who has been recognized as the top relief pitcher in the majors two years running.

more rumors..

Craig Mish

@CraigMish

·

42m

Clubs are inquiring on Marlins SP Jose Ureña. The Toronto Blue Jays are among several teams showing interest. He is a potential starter for a team in need. Under control through 2021. Miami has depth there.

Dan Federico

@DanJFederico

·

33m

Heard from a source earlier that the Mets are pushing hard for a one year contract with Dellin Betances. Yankees still have interest.

@ByKristieAckert

says it's unlikely he returns to the Bronx

Michael Wacha to the Mets as their Wheeler replacement. Probably not a terrible buy-low guy, as he's young and has good stuff. Starting to see the mid-level pitching market move a bit now with Gausman and Wacha going.

I'm going to predict we see a 1-year, $8 million deal with Miley.

Sold!! I'd take Miley at that price! Saying that, I fully expect him to sign a 2/22 somewhere else! :ohwell

more rumors..

Craig Mish

@CraigMish

·

42m

Clubs are inquiring on Marlins SP Jose Ureña. The Toronto Blue Jays are among several teams showing interest. He is a potential starter for a team in need. Under control through 2021. Miami has depth there.

Dan Federico

@DanJFederico

·

33m

Heard from a source earlier that the Mets are pushing hard for a one year contract with Dellin Betances. Yankees still have interest.

@ByKristieAckert

says it's unlikely he returns to the Bronx

And yet, more rumors that do not involve the Brewers. I almost hate this Winter Meetings week each year, because I go into it with these big expectations (I know....stupid) that the Brewers will do something big - and most years, nothing ever seems to happen at all. I know that conversations are had that may turn into something a week or a month down the road, but it just seems like we rarely make any major moves during this week. Sorry - just an antsy and impatient fan!

Tom

@Haudricourt

1m

#Brewers continue to explore LH bats with pop, who ususally fare well at Miller Park, after losses of Moustakas, Thames (unless re-signed) and Grandal (switch-hitter). That's why they had interest in Didi Gregorius and now with Kole Calhoun.

Don't understand why they'd be looking at Calhoun and not Corey Dickerson. Dickerson had some nice power years with the Rays, hits for a decent average, and has a good OBP.

Josh Bell is a LH bat with some pop that may be available.

Some other left handed (or switch hitting) batters with some pop that come to mind who may be trade candidates, in this case specifically for corner IF positions...

Kyle Seager

Carlos Santana (switch)

Danny Santana (switch)

Tommy La Stella

Pablo Sandoval (switch)

Mitch Moreland

Brandon Belt

Neil Walker (switch)

Jake Lamb

Probably wishful thinking these guys would be available via trade:

Max Muncy

Joc Pederson (more of an outfielder, but played some 1B last season)

Edwin Rios

Eduardo Escobar (switch)

Ryan McMahon

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Looks like the Angels are getting Rendon.

If true, it's going to be simply amazing that the Angels will have arguably the three most talented baseball players in the world, and yet from my perspective will still have a mediocre team barring some significant trades.

Looks like the Angels are getting Rendon.

If true, it's going to be simply amazing that the Angels will have arguably the three most talented baseball players in the world, and yet from my perspective will still have a mediocre team barring some significant trades.

Yeah this really isn't going to do anything for their garbage pitching staff, but they have the money to change that.

The Mariners are now actively shopping Kyle Seager, and he may be willing to modify his contract (which converts a team option into a player option if traded) in order to play for a contender.

He'd be another one of my top targets. Very underrated player in my opinion.

The Mariners are now actively shopping Kyle Seager, and he may be willing to modify his contract (which converts a team option into a player option if traded) in order to play for a contender.

He's mentioned as being another candidate for a Cozart-type trade where the Mariners attach a prospect to Seager to get his contract off their hands. That would be an interesting idea.

He's mentioned as being another candidate for a Cosart-type trade where the Mariners attach a prospect to Seager to get his contract off their hands. That would be an interesting idea.

I'd even settle for just an upside reliever like RHP Zac Grotz. All the better if Seattle actually gives us a quality prospect.

I think outside of Seattle, Seager could pop 30 HR with elite defense.

He's mentioned as being another candidate for a Cosart-type trade where the Mariners attach a prospect to Seager to get his contract off their hands. That would be an interesting idea.

Do you have a link? I’m interested on where that came from.

https://theathletic.com/1456983/2019/12/12/rosenthal-with-market-for-third-basemen-heating-up-multiple-teams-showing-interest-in-kyle-seager/

Perhaps the easiest path to a trade would be for the Mariners to pay down Seager’s remaining obligation by including cash in the transaction. The Mariners also could make Seager more attractive by including a well-regarded prospect as part of their offer. The team’s farm system has risen from 30th in the majors in 2018 to 11th in ‘19, according to Baseball America, creating a greater number of trade options.

https://theathletic.com/1456983/2019/12/12/rosenthal-with-market-for-third-basemen-heating-up-multiple-teams-showing-interest-in-kyle-seager/

Perhaps the easiest path to a trade would be for the Mariners to pay down Seager’s remaining obligation by including cash in the transaction. The Mariners also could make Seager more attractive by including a well-regarded prospect as part of their offer. The team’s farm system has risen from 30th in the majors in 2018 to 11th in ‘19, according to Baseball America, creating a greater number of trade options.

Thanks. The issue I see with this is that I don’t think the Mariners are trying to compete quite yet. I don’t think having Seager on their payroll for the next two years will be such an issue that they attach a prospect to rid themselves of him. But if they are willing to attach something of value to move him, fine by me!

Thanks. The issue I see with this is that I don’t think the Mariners are trying to compete quite yet. I don’t think having Seager on their payroll for the next two years will be such an issue that they attach a prospect to rid themselves of him. But if they are willing to attach something of value to move him, fine by me!

I originally thought the same thing, but Rosenthal keeps pretty good tabs on this kind of stuff, so if he says it's a possibility, it likely is. Seager is probably more valuable than Cozart, but he's owed a lot more too.

2020: $19mm

2021: $18mm

2022: $15mm (this player option becomes guaranteed if he's traded)

Honestly I don't have very much interest at all in Seager unless the Mariners are paying over 50% of the remaining contract.

Locking yourself into a league average player in their 30s for 3 more years just isn't a very Stearnsy move.

Honestly I don't have very much interest at all in Seager unless the Mariners are paying over 50% of the remaining contract.

Locking yourself into a league average player in their 30s for 3 more years just isn't a very Stearnsy move.

League average player? His floor is Moustakas and his ceiling is 5+ WAR.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

League average player? His floor is Moustakas and his ceiling is 5+ WAR.

I like Seager a lot, but I think you're overstating him.

Seager's floor is probably around the .673 OPS he put up in 2018 (Moose was not been under a .774 OPS since six years ago).

I'd probably say Seager is a bit above average. I don't expect the 5.0 WAR seasons he had 4-5 years ago. He's 32 years old - most players don't suddenly revert to the 27 year old selves.

But I think he can still be good. A change scenery, better health, etc., can really help a guy. And more importantly, getting out of Seattle will help.

For his career, Seager's OPS away from his home ball park is .799. At home it's .732. I would expect him to improve getting into a more friendly hitting environment such as Miller Park (or whatever it's called now).

I definitely think we'd have to protect ourselves financially if we traded for him. But I would be okay with Seager as our 3B if something could be worked out.

Archived