Brewer Fanatic

2019 Winter Meetings Rumors

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom

@Haudricourt

1m

#Brewers continue to explore LH bats with pop, who ususally fare well at Miller Park, after losses of Moustakas, Thames (unless re-signed) and Grandal (switch-hitter). That's why they had interest in Didi Gregorius and now with Kole Calhoun.

Tom

@Haudricourt

1m

#Brewers continue to explore LH bats with pop, who ususally fare well at Miller Park, after losses of Moustakas, Thames (unless re-signed) and Grandal (switch-hitter). That's why they had interest in Didi Gregorius and now with Kole Calhoun.

Don't understand why they'd be looking at Calhoun and not Corey Dickerson. Dickerson had some nice power years with the Rays, hits for a decent average, and has a good OBP.

I would love Kole Calhoun to pair with Gamel as fourth and fifth outfielders off the bench and to give Braun days off (Calhoun's complements Braun's platoon splits in the respect). Don't like him as a regular starter. How much will he cost?

Tom

@Haudricourt

1m

Don't understand why they'd be looking at Calhoun and not Corey Dickerson. Dickerson had some nice power years with the Rays, hits for a decent average, and has a good OBP.

I'm one that is a Dickerson fan, but I'm assuming 2 things:

1. Defense appears to be a big negative. Calhoun is just an average/below average defender. I think he has a great arm.

2. I'm assuming like the "1 year for Didi could be a sneaky move," other teams are in on the "Dickerson is an undervalued asset" and then he'll end up getting that Gausman contract. Calhoun is more under the radar. I'm assuming we're also in on Dickerson but maybe we will once again lose the bidding.

It’s been pretty quiet on the Brewers’ front for a little while. I totally expect Stearns to come out now and make a move at some point today. It’s the Stearns Way! ;)

On a separate note, Rendon balked at the Dodgers offer of 7 years, $210-$215 million, but it had deferrals. I’m going to keep dreaming on Rendon in our lineup until it’s no longer a possibility or until the dream turns into reality! ;)

How about a 7 year, $225 million for Rendon? Our lineup would be absolutely filthy if we added him!

Cain

Hiura

Yelich

Rendon

Narvaez

Braun

1B

Urias

P

Good luck opposing staffs!

This would put our payroll only at about $110 million or slightly higher if Rendon signed for that much.

1. Defense appears to be a big negative. Calhoun is just an average/below average defender. I think he has a great arm.

2. I'm assuming like the "1 year for Didi could be a sneaky move," other teams are in on the "Dickerson is an undervalued asset" and then he'll end up getting that Gausman contract. Calhoun is more under the radar. I'm assuming we're also in on Dickerson but maybe we will once again lose the bidding.

There are way more corner OF options(trade and FA) than landing spots...it's not even close. We might have to be patient to get a good value, but we definitely shouldn't be spending big for this spot.

@BNightengale

·

1m

The Los Angeles #Dodgers and Cleveland #Indians continue to be engaged in serious trade talks for Cleveland All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor, with Cleveland seeking a package of Dodgers prospects including Gavin Lux and Dustin May.

Hmm ... but I've been told repeatedly that there is no way that the Dodgers would go out and trade their high-end prospects for a superstar player. Are two seasons of Lindor worth more than four seasons of Hader?

@BNightengale

·

1m

The Los Angeles #Dodgers and Cleveland #Indians continue to be engaged in serious trade talks for Cleveland All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor, with Cleveland seeking a package of Dodgers prospects including Gavin Lux and Dustin May.

Hmm ... but I've been told repeatedly that there is no way that the Dodgers would go out and trade their high-end prospects for a superstar player. Are two seasons of Lindor worth more than four seasons of Hader?

Yes.

I don't think they'd trade their high-end prospects for a reliever. I will admit to being somewhat surprised that they are even doing this for another superstar, to be honest. I'll give you that.

@BNightengale

·

1m

Yes.

Rhetorical question, and debatable. That said ... looks like those special prospects perhaps aren't untradable after all ;)

@BNightengale

·

1m

Yes. Lindor is all-world everything at the SS position. He's the best one at hitting and 2nd to Simmons in the field. He even switch hits. And again, the Dodgers can afford to trade premium prospects for super-elite talent. Their second to none talent development team will churn out 2 or 3 more guys like Lux over the next 24 months.

@BNightengale

·

1m

Yes.

Rhetorical question, and debatable. That said ... looks like those special prospects perhaps aren't untradable after all ;)

Adding here from before:

I don't think they'd trade their high-end prospects for a reliever. I will admit to being somewhat surprised that they are even doing this for another superstar, to be honest. I'll give you that.

@BNightengale

·

1m

The rumblings in LA is that this is no longer the case. 7 straight NL West Championships with no World Series have changed that perspective after last year's NL Divisional loss. Especially now that they have lost out on Cole, I would fully expect them to deal high level prospects for elite level talent like Lindor and maybe Hader.

Adding here from before:

That's fair. At the same time, I'd be surprised if the Brewers were asking for both Lux and May in a package for Hader. But who knows? It's all guesswork at this point, and the only thing we've heard concrete on the Brewers' ask for Hader is that its' "massive". Probably as it should be.

Tom

@Haudricourt

1m

Kalhoun is a RF and Dickersons a LF and moving Yelich back to LF when Brain isn’t there might have Stearns leaning towards Kalhoun because Yelich is better in LF

Tom

@Haudricourt

1m

Gross.

I have zero interest in Calhoun which is why I fully anticipate his signing is imminent.

Anyone can point to the 2016 Cubs that you could trade for a reliever (or some other need) to "get you over the top" but imagine if Cleveland won game 7. Their window has closed and they traded away useful pieces.

I prefer to use the Nats as my example. "Lol, what a bunch of chokers" that finally got themselves enough chances that the playoff random generation came up with their number in 2019. They didn't trade all of their prospects for a reliever to do it, either. They made the Eaton trade a few years ago but that was more "***" than anything.

So I think the Dodgers can and should just stick with the plan. I'm serious that unless the Padres get something real interesting going here, the Dodgers will probably win 9 of the next 10 NL West titles if they stick with their current formula. Eventually they'll win a title or three. I'd rather do that than trade for Josh Hader in hopes that he finishes the 5 innings you messed up in previous years. Lindor, I kinda get. Especially if maybe they don't think Lux is really that good.

Anyone can point to the 2016 Cubs that you could trade for a reliever (or some other need) to "get you over the top" but imagine if Cleveland won game 7. Their window has closed and they traded away useful pieces.

I prefer to use the Nats as my example. "Lol, what a bunch of chokers" that finally got themselves enough chances that the playoff random generation came up with their number in 2019. They didn't trade all of their prospects for a reliever to do it, either. They made the Eaton trade a few years ago but that was more "***" than anything.

So I think the Dodgers can and should just stick with the plan. I'm serious that unless the Padres get something real interesting going here, the Dodgers will probably win 9 of the next 10 NL West titles if they stick with their current formula. Eventually they'll win a title or three. I'd rather do that than trade for Josh Hader in hopes that he finishes the 5 innings you messed up in previous years. Lindor, I kinda get. Especially if maybe they don't think Lux is really that good.

Why would that philosophy apply to Hader and not Lindor? Has offense really been the issue that has kept the Dodgers from a WS title?

Imagine if the Dodgers go out and get Rendon and Lindor this offseason. Holy smokes. Was really hoping to somehow get Lux in a Hader trade but if you’re the Dodgers you’re obviously going with Lindor over a reliever.

Then they can turn around and deal Seager, May, Verdugo and Turner to the Brewers for Hader and Corey Ray.

Why would that philosophy apply to Hader and not Lindor? Has offense really been the issue that has kept the Dodgers from a WS title?

Again, I'm somewhat with you here but I guess Lindor just makes you a better team for those games. He bats 4-5 times/game in a playoff series and is able to add his excellent defense.

I guess I'd rather make a really good offense a really, really, really good offense instead of make an okay/good bullpen a better bullpen.

See I just don't really look at it like this. Winning a World Series involves luck and timing as much as anything else. The Dodgers have definitely had good enough teams to win the World Series.

The Nationals, who just won it all, had one of the worst pens in baseball. When the Royals won it a few years ago they had one of the worst rotations but an elite bullpen. I think it's been shown there's no one best way to build a World Series winner. I think the best way in recent history has just been to be really, really good at something. I think Francisco Lindor, regardless of what the Dodgers' strengths and weaknesses are, gives them a better chance to win a World Series in the next 2 years than Josh Hader does.

Archived