Brewer Fanatic

Lyles to Texas, 2 Years $16mil

JDBrewCrew

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sick of Twitter reacting to every deal with "Lol overpay"

Overpay is probably the dumbest hot take in FA in any sport. Do fans think there is just one team pulling numbers out of thin air and offering these sums out of the goodness of their heart?

It is a good thing that these guys that played for the Brewers last year are signing lucrative deals. Other MLB players are going to see the effect that playing in Milwaukee had on these guys, and look at rebuilding their value here.

And it's a good thing that we have a front office that can recognize untapped potential in a lot of these guys. I expect to see more of that next season.

It’s a huge risk for the rangers. Stearns has a price and wouldn’t go over it. He is going to get another starter or 2, let’s just relax. He was great here but if he signed with us and returned back to how he pitched with the pirates everyone would be criticizing Stearns.

It’s a huge risk for the rangers. Stearns has a price and wouldn’t go over it. He is going to get another starter or 2, let’s just relax. He was great here but if he signed with us and returned back to how he pitched with the pirates everyone would be criticizing Stearns.

Who's not relaxing?

I would have loved to get Lyles back, but there are probably 30 pitchers on the free agent market with his level of talent. He just managed to put it together for the Brewers last year, and was able to cash in, much like Pomeranz. Good for those guys. The Brewers have a knack for getting the most out of these type of pitchers.

Sure, he probably will, but how good will they be, really?? I mean, at this point, with the exception of maybe mad bum and ryu, to me everyone else is a dart throw and you HOPE you can get a decent season or two out of them. No different then Chacin. Doesn't really take the Brewers to the next level, unfortunately. They will never have 3 stud arms, or even two will they?? :angry

Sure, he probably will, but how good will they be, really?? I mean, at this point, with the exception of maybe mad bum and ryu, to me everulne else is a dart throw and you HOPE you can get a decent season or two out of them. No different then Chacin. Doesn't really take the Brewers to the next level, unfortunately. They will never have 3 stud arms, or even two will they?? :angry

Probably not, unless they home grow them. Signing starting pitchers to huge contracts is a pretty inefficient use of available funds.

Damn. I would have paid that.

Why? Aside from 75 or so innings with the Brewers over the last two years, Lyles has never been all that good.

Because those 75 innings were pretty dang good, and $8 million a year over two years isn't a crazy sum for even a league average starter. Yeah, you'd be taking a risk, but is it better to pay Lyles a guaranteed $16 million, or MadBum $116 million?

Is Lyles better than Chase Anderson? Probably not, and at best it’s a push. The Brewers jettisoned Anderson rather than pay him 8.5 million, so no surprise that Lyles isn’t coming back.

I have a feeling next years rotation is going to be Woodruff, Houser, Lauer, Peralta and Burnes with maybe a bargain basement innings eater slotted in after Houser with Peralta in relief.

Damn. I would have paid that.

Why? Aside from 75 or so innings with the Brewers over the last two years, Lyles has never been all that good.

Because those 75 innings were pretty dang good, and $8 million a year over two years isn't a crazy sum for even a league average starter. Yeah, you'd be taking a risk, but is it better to pay Lyles a guaranteed $16 million, or MadBum $116 million?

I would do neither. Yeah, Lyles was great for us, but we're paying for his future, not a past 11 starts for us. His 4.64 FIP and 4.61 xFIP were indicative of those 11 start results not being sustainable. Stearns has been pretty good about staying ahead of these things and getting the good short-term results and then not making a mistake of a long-term commitment. Yeah, 2 years and 16M is certainly not backbreaking money, but it's not an insignificant sum, either. We aren't a franchise that can operate by consistently paying the Jordan Lyles of the world 8M a year.

We'll find another Jordan Lyles next season. We always do. It'll just be someone other than Jordan Lyles.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

$8M per year is a little rich. I really don't trust Lyles all that much, but that's just a gut instinct. He pitched well for us, so I would have been fine bringing him back. I can see passing on him at this price, but it wouldn't have been awful.

Good for Lyles.

Archived