Brewer Fanatic

Bumgarner

baumer16
MLBTraderumors is saying he's asking for nine figures over five years. Makes sense that he's going to try to get as much as possible, but I don't know that I want the Brewers giving him $20M+/year for five seasons.

gross.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Bumgarner is definitely the highest upside arm available to us. When you are somehow only 30 and as talented as he is, a Verlander-type resurgence is not out of the question

I agree with this assessment. And a 5 year/$100M investment won't be that crippling.

Bumgarner is definitely the highest upside arm available to us. When you are somehow only 30 and as talented as he is, a Verlander-type resurgence is not out of the question

Ryu would be the highest upside guy...if we are going purely on upside.

Not sure I want Bumgarner at his current asking price (possibly 5/$100mil or more). He has been churning out 200+ innings since 21. Maybe he can still be TOR worthy, but he easily might be done already.

He hasn't had an xFIP under 4.07 his last 3 seasons, he'd be going from one of the most pitcher friendly to one of the most hitter friendly parks in baseball, he'll be really expensive and he's kind of a douche. What's not to love?

I agree with this assessment. And a 5 year/$100M investment won't be that crippling.

I think Bumgarner will turn out to be more like Felix Hernandez than Verlander plus once the Yankees sign Cole the Angels will be going hard after Bumgarner. Unless you are willing to pay Bumgarner somewhere around $22m a season or more you are not getting him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

When I see the words "verlander like resurgence" attached to ANY pitcher, I cringe. Verlander is almost a once in a generation talent. Bumgarner is a really good pitcher who's on the wrong side of 30, who has had some sketchy peripheral numbers the last few years, and who doesn't pitch well away from San Fran.

I just don't like it when someone takes a hall of famer and says "this guy might perform like this hall of famer/once in a generation talent" because they happen to have a similar skill set or whatever. Justin Verlander is a singular talent, and paying Bumgarner 5/100 to hope that he has a Verlander like rennaisance is a fool's gambit.

When I see the words "verlander like resurgence" attached to ANY pitcher, I cringe. Verlander is almost a once in a generation talent. Bumgarner is a really good pitcher who's on the wrong side of 30, who has had some sketchy peripheral numbers the last few years, and who doesn't pitch well away from San Fran.

I just don't like it when someone takes a hall of famer and says "this guy might perform like this hall of famer/once in a generation talent" because they happen to have a similar skill set or whatever. Justin Verlander is a singular talent, and paying Bumgarner 5/100 to hope that he has a Verlander like rennaisance is a fool's gambit.

Well nobody suggested it was likely. I'm talking purely about upside. Both have had runs of dominance and runs of sketchy 4.00+ xFIP peripherals. Part of why Verlander is a Hall of Fame talent is because he had a resurgence after falling back to Earth for a few years (and because he has been unusually durable thought his long career, but that's a separate issue).

If you want a guy you can dream of putting up 200+ IP seasons with a sub 3.00 ERA, the only pitchers available this offseason are/were Cole, Strasburg, and Bumgarner. Bumgarner is still relatively young and one could at least argue that his fall from dominance is due to a few years of injuries that he is now on the other side of.

Fair point above about Ryu having similar upside, but he's obviously unlikely to be as durable.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well nobody suggested it was likely. I'm talking purely about upside. Both have had runs of dominance and runs of sketchy 4.00+ xFIP peripherals. Part of why Verlander is a Hall of Fame talent is because he had a resurgence after falling back to Earth for a few years (and because he has been unusually durable thought his long career, but that's a separate issue).

If you want a guy you can dream of putting up 200+ IP seasons with a sub 3.00 ERA, the only pitchers available this offseason are/were Cole, Strasburg, and Bumgarner. Bumgarner is still relatively young and one could at least argue that his fall from dominance is due to a few years of injuries that he is now on the other side of.

Fair point above about Ryu having similar upside, but he's obviously unlikely to be as durable.

100 million+ for dreams of upside on 30 year olds is not something teams with limited financial capabilities should be doing.

100 million+ for dreams of upside on 30 year olds is not something teams with limited financial capabilities should be doing.

I think you'll find that nobody in this thread is advocating for signing Bumgarner. :)

I'll admit I'm not completely opposed to signing Bumgarner. At minimum I'm intrigued. IF the Brewers were to sign him, it would be the first major SP acquisition since Greinke 8 years ago. It could flop. It could work out great. It could end up somewhere in between. None of us has a crystal ball.

There are some reasons to doubt that Bumgarner's a pure ToR starter anymore. But he's at least been that in his career -- legitimately on an MLB-wide level -- and that pedigree counts for something. Over multiple segments/interviews/discussions, the MLB Network Radio guys were going on for 45 minutes this afternoon about the value of someone of that pedigree & experience within a clubhouse (talking about the impact of having a Greinke as a teammate for a few years might have on a Robbie Ray and others, for one example). Alone that's not a reason to overpay ridiculously, but it is a legit "intangibles" factor that cannot be brushed off.

We seem to face the same plight every year, needing some influx of proven starting pitching -- with the moves most years seeming underwhelming at best when they happen. We've heard the annual choruses of how all our in-house guys are likely #3's at best, can't be counted on to pitch to any level above that, are inconsistent, flashes in the pan, etc., etc., etc. Our MiLB pipeline isn't offering us any pending aces for 2020 that we're aware of. . . . I don't know where it would come from, at least on an immediate sort of basis, but I think we'd all agree that a meaningful/significant SP upgrade isn't coming out of thin air.

Since we can't afford Cole/Strasburg money, we need to look at next-tier options (or lower). That means Ryu, Keuchel, Bumgarner, etc. If there weren't more obvious risks inherent in each of them, they'd be more likely getting something closer to Cole/Strasburg/Kershaw/Greinke money.

Throwing significant dollars at Bumgarner could prove completely foolish. Ditto for others in that tier of FA SPs. It could also provide us an ace.

With the Cardinals reportedly pursuing him, I can’t think of an easier set of battery mates to dislike than the duo of Bumgarner and Yadi Molina would be.

God help the hitter who doesn't follow the letter of every unwritten rule that ever existed when that battery is out on the field.

I would be very disappointed if we signed him. I think his best days are behind him and don’t see him improving on his numbers moving away from Oracle. If we spend ~$20 million per year on a guy that has numbers similar to Chase Anderson or Davies and we moved them (although Davies was in a nice trade), then I don’t see why we would spend that much on a guy who has been trending in the wrong direction the last few years.

Thanks a lot! The nightmares should be really vivid and violent tonight! :laughing

Archived